SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2019, 03:04 PM   #1
rehoward
rehoward is on a distinguished road

Default RWD Manual Trans conversion?

I own a 2008 Saturn Vue Redline with the high output 3.6L V6 engine. As a grocery hauler it is a hoot and I can easily see the engine being used as a basis for a rear wheel drive street/road racer. Has anyone done a RWD manual transmission conversion for one of these engines? Any and all help/ideas would be appreciated.

Randy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rehoward's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rehoward reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rehoward is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2019, 02:15 AM   #2
rehoward

Default Re: RWD Manual Trans conversion?

No one has done a RWD manual trans conversion for a 3.6L?? Maybe suggest somewhere else to look? Someone must have done this, right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rehoward reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2019, 03:19 AM   #3
rehoward

Let me try again. Someone must have done this.

Can I adapt a GM 3.6L V6 to an in-line manual transmission, such as a 4-5 or 6 speed unit from Chevy or Ford. I would like to use the 3.6 Redline engine in a traditional north/south rear wheel drive custom installation without the FWD auto trans.. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-17-2019, 07:52 AM   #4
rfisher
rfisher will become famous soon enough

hi sages- this thread poses a somewhat unique question. one of the major blocks may be the amount of re- engineering that may be necessary, load weight, stress vectors/ compensation, body integrity would come into play. have never seen this attempted. the cost might be prohibitive too. however can certainly appreciate the motivation. there are fewer options for a backyard mechanic with fwd contrasted to rwd vehicles. just consider the increased work and expense in clutch/transmission work in a fwd versus same in an rwd. over the years I did about 25 clutch changes and swap outs of shot manual trannies in rwds. no major problems. fwd is a different war including , hanging engines, removing major parts of front end suspension assemblies to get clearance and accessability. some of you may be discouraged too by increased use of profane language. my L100 with manual has a hydraulic clutch actuation with an internal slave cylinder. it could have been designed with a cable actuation or an external slave cylinder like on the Toyota, civic, etc. that would be much easier and cheaper to maintain. seems the slave cylinder starts to leak long before the clutch is shot. had an interesting conversation with a favorite indie mechanic about converting this system to a cable actuation or external slave system with a clutch fork lever. he was non plussed by this suggestion and suggested no mechanic would attempt it for a variety of reasons. what think? always interested in your expert critiques. thanks tons bob f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #5
02 LW300
02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

It is a LY7 GM v6 it is used in many newer GM cars. I am sure there are several transmissions that bolt to that engine. I would imagine that it is the engine they use in the Camaro and several rwd Cadillacs.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:08 PM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
It is a LY7 GM v6 it is used in many newer GM cars. I am sure there are several transmissions that bolt to that engine. I would imagine that it is the engine they use in the Camaro and several rwd Cadillacs.
^This is all correct! Interestingly, the 3.6L V-6 is also available in some Corvettes. So look through the online parts catalogs and determine which vehicles have a manual transmission coupled with that V-6 (I wouldn't expect them to be found with a Cadillac model). I know that some Chevy and GMC trucks have the combinatioin you're seeking. My question is, what vehicle will this powertrain be installed in (if it's feasible to do such a thing)? Although your OP suggests that this idea is related to your VUE it isn't made fully clear.

If I assume that you'd like to attempt this conversion on your VUE then rfisher's post #4 presented salient points of concern. Of course, more could added to it, but I think what's there is sufficient for a thoughtful person to ponder.

304,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:09 PM   #7
02 LW300
02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The current Cadillac Ats v has a turbocharged 3.6 v-6 and a six speed manual transmission.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:29 PM   #8
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
The current Cadillac Ats v has a turbocharged 3.6 v-6 and a six speed manual transmission.
Well, by cracky, Cadillac didn't stay as reserved as I thought they might regarding a manual transmission. I am duly corrected!

304,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote