SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 09:20 AM   #1
beltscot
beltscot is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Key Fob Not Working

My key fob is not working anymore. I have only had the VUE for 6 months now (2003 Model).

Does this mean it is dead? (Battery?) Or could it be something else?
How do I get a replacement and not spend an arm and a leg?

I am using the spare right now, but would like to have 2 working models.

Thanks for any help.
Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beltscot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beltscot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2003, 09:42 AM   #2
bibliotech
bibliotech is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

1) Crack it open, see if lint is blocking contact, or
2) re-program it [(hold both buttons down 'til the lock pop?) check the manual]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bibliotech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bibliotech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2003, 10:01 AM   #3
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Maybe it needs to resync? I think there are instructions in the owners manual? Not sure if this is the fix.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2003, 11:14 AM   #4
CanVueYes!
CanVueYes! is on a distinguished road

Why worry about cost? That little thing falls under the bumper-to-bumper warranty, no? Unless of course it was abused.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CanVueYes!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CanVueYes! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2003, 02:05 PM   #5
beltscot

Default Thanks

I will try all suggestions tonight.
I didn't realize it might be covered under warranty. The dealer isn't exactly close by, but for a free new FOB I can make the trip.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help beltscot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2003, 04:35 PM   #6
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

It's easy to change the battery, but it's probably not bad yet. I had one quit, too, and I just opened it and put it back together and it's been working since. Take a look and see if you spot anything wrong. Go ahead and change the battery, it's an ordinary watch battery.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2003, 11:17 AM   #7
beltscot

Thumbs Up Thanks

I just took it apart and blew out some dust and it works again.

One thing I always did notice with my VUE compared to my 2000 Oldsmobile Alero is that you have to be a lot closer to the car to have the alarm arm or disarm. I used to be able to find my Alero from further distance in a parking lot vs the VUE.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2003, 09:40 PM   #8
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

One thing I have noticed with mine is that it is not so much distance, but angle, that allows it to arm or disarm and unlock or lock.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2003, 12:46 PM   #9
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

The VUE works at a much longer distance than my L. I believe it was to do with placement of the receiver in the 2000 L. I believe they moved it as part of the model updates

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2003, 01:27 PM   #10
SaturnVue'03
SaturnVue'03 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I agree with BELTSCOT...

I have to be much closer to my Vue to lock/unlock, then with my old 2000 Mustang. The mustang would lock/unlock from FAR away...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnVue'03's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnVue'03 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2003, 01:42 PM   #11
DejaVUE
DejaVUE is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Beats the range of the factory alarm on my Grand Prix. Before I extended the antenna, I had to be practically within arm's reach of it, especially if I was downtown.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DejaVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DejaVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2003, 02:21 PM   #12
jeffb
jeffb is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-3 Sedan

About one time in six my Vue fails to respond to the first press on the button on the key fob.

Initially I just figured I was too far away or did not press hard enough, but now I'm sure it is a defect in the Vue for two reasons

It happens with both key fobs
I can stand at the vehicle - press slowly and firmly - no response until the second time I press.

Of course, this never happens when I am at the dealership!

I sure wish that Saturn had chosen to have the side and tail lights flash rather than the DRLs. Would make it much easier to tell if the remote door locks had actually worked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jeffb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jeffb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2003, 08:40 PM   #13
silverplum
silverplum is on a distinguished road

I have found that I can be slightly further away on my 2002 LW300 than on my 2000 LW1 when using the key fob. Sometimes you may find it necessary to move slightly to your left or right.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverplum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverplum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2003, 12:10 AM   #14
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
Happy

A couple of times I fell asleep or sat the wrong way with the key fob in my pocket and drained the battery by putting my weight on the fob buttons. A new battery costs around $3 at any full service drug store and the replacement takes all of a minute. In my experience, the new battery made it work good as new every time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2003, 01:17 AM   #15
Beautiful VUE
Beautiful VUE is on a distinguished road

I am thinking on the same lines as OhioVueBoy. I think angle has a lot to do with it. Sometimes I can be just a few feet away and it will be stubborn. But then last week, I was in my office and accidently hit the "panic" buttom while digging through my computer case and the thing went off. It was rather odd.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Beautiful VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Beautiful VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2003, 04:54 PM   #16
pkschul
Advanced Member
pkschul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by John8
A couple of times I fell asleep or sat the wrong way with the key fob in my pocket and drained the battery by putting my weight on the fob buttons. A new battery costs around $3 at any full service drug store and the replacement takes all of a minute. In my experience, the new battery made it work good as new every time.
I was working on "my other car" a couple weeks ago when my VUE started going crazy. the locks were locking/unlocking the lights were going nuts....
I went in the house and found my 14 month old daughter chewing on my wife's fob.... she now has her own set of dummy keys.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pkschul's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pkschul reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2003, 07:43 PM   #17
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
Happy

LOL, pkschul!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-07-2003, 12:58 AM   #18
fotovue
fotovue will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally posted by DejaVUE
Beats the range of the factory alarm on my Grand Prix. Before I extended the antenna, I had to be practically within arm's reach of it, especially if I was downtown.
So how do you extend the antenna on a Vue?

And are you talking about an antenna for the key fob or one in the car?

Anyone know where the antenna is in the Vue?

I discovered that the antenna and module for my impala was located behind the driver seat shoulder belt when we convinced my chief that it was a good thing to have on our police package impalas- So we had the dealer install it in all 4 of our new cars (GM doesn't install remote keyless entry on police cars). The service guy said it was a pain to install and configure the way we wanted, but now we can get out and lock/unlock the doors in a hurry (i.e. running to the car) and even leave it running and locked (via a custom configuration and a box that prevents the gear shift from working without a special proxy key).

Knowing GM i'd imagine the vue's remote keyless entry antenna is in the same location.

2004 RL VUE AWD Black *R.I.P. 07/01/06* 65k
The 1st sold, 49th built

2007 RL VUE FWD Black *Born 01/26/07* 100k
mods: 4 wheel disc brakes, window tint, spoiler, blues and twos

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fotovue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fotovue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-07-2003, 01:51 AM   #19
burlyvue
burlyvue is on a distinguished road

Ok, I'm gonna give you the same advice I got when I complained about the distance from the Vue and activating the remote. From the very rear of the vehicle the remote is basically useless. Put your arm up in the air or go low to activate. Must be a lot of steel in this vehicle and the antenna is in the front (somewhere). The advice given to me (and it works, lol) is to hold the remote to your chin and press the button and boom, doors lock/unlock like magic. The reason, evidently it the human body acts like an antenna and enhances the range of the remote. I have personally shown this to the Saturn service dude and encouraged him to pass on the info so future owners don't look like idiots dancing around the back of the vehicle trying to put the stuff away. My wife suggested putting the key in my nose and the remote on my chin from the other side of the parking lot for super remote action ( kidding! )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burlyvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burlyvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-07-2003, 11:22 AM   #20
robert_vue
Advanced Member
robert_vue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
Dizzy

Yes, this does work well. We had this dicussion on another board somewhere. But improving that antenna on the VUE would be nice. The chin thing DOES extend the range, however I don't seem to get much extra distance out of it, maybe another 10 feet or so. My friends and their new trucks get about 50-100 feet, versus my 20 feet.

Quote:
Originally posted by burlyvue
The advice given to me (and it works, lol) is to hold the remote to your chin and press the button and boom, doors lock/unlock like magic.

Robert R.
03 VUE: Oct 15, 2002 - Dec 5, 2004 R.I.P.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robert_vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robert_vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread