SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
jcw
jcw is on a distinguished road

2000 SW2
Default More on clutch hydraulic system fixing...

On my quest to save some money and learn something I decided to fix my manual SW2 clutch hydraulic system that was getting hard to shift.

The culprit was a leakage at the hydraulic damper and it was caused by bad oxidation of the only non plastic part of the system. Hygroscopy played its part - the whole damper is made of steel and corroded internally after 9 years. Here's a picture of it with the diaphragm already cleaned - it had thick rust deposits underneath the rubber O-ring:

I fine sanded the diaphragm, reassembled it and did the bleeding following mavmav instructions:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=65662#

As a result I had a nice rebuilt system - you can tell you don't have much air in the system when it becomes very difficult to push the slave rod into its cylinder by hand.

During re-installation, using the instructions from Saturn FSM for 1995 S-Series nicely published by 3danh:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60471

When trying to reinstall the actuator into clutch housing, one of the plastic hydraulic lines broke, ruining the whole repair.

Here's the main reason for this post: I think that in discordance with Saturns's S-Series clutch FSM you have to reverse the order of both removal and installation of the damper and actuator. In doing so, you have much more flex available with the hydraulic lines, probably preventing possible line breakage. On removal first remove damper and then the actuator. On install first insert the actuator and then secure damper.

Anyway, I put my tail between my legs, got the Advanced Auto Parts PF9001 replacement system ($102 versus $185 OEM), and I'm happy again (The PF9001 is made in USA by Perfect Clutch).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jcw is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2009, 10:04 AM   #2
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Re: More on clutch hydraulic system fixing...

FWIW: About $123 plus shipping from www.saturnparts.com

Neat information. Thanks for the post.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: More on clutch hydraulic system fixing...

Quote:
Here's the main reason for this post: I think that in discordance with Saturns's S-Series clutch FSM you have to reverse the order of both removal and installation of the damper and actuator. In doing so, you have much more flex available with the hydraulic lines, probably preventing possible line breakage. On removal first remove damper and then the actuator. On install first insert the actuator and then secure damper.
Yes, that is exactly how you have to both remove and install it or it will break. Sometimes it pays to not read and follow the manual.

Nice work on disassembling the damper. I think the later iterations are a welded assembly however.

If I did not have 3+ inches of global warming to scrape up this AM I would go look at how the ones here are built.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote