SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2020, 08:26 PM   #1
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Default MIG welder - recommendations?

It's time to add some tools.

I already have a acytelene torch, and a monster TIG welder. (100% duty @ 240 amp) - and now I want a MIG welder.

I went and looked at a Hobart 140 - used- i saw on Craigslist. Overprices, worn out trash...

So I looked at a new one. $480 at TSC.....

Anybody have experience with one - or comperable one they recommend?

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2020, 01:41 AM   #2
me.theuser
me.theuser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
2001 SL2
Default Re: MIG welder - recommendations?

LINCOLN Easy MIG 140

Its probably a bit more expensive than the one at TSC
picked it up used for $250

Using CO2 its pretty much good for sheet metal and maybe a bit thicker
if you keep in mind the duty cycle

with flux core it does a bit better at penetration but they are some
pretty dirty welds

Still all in all I like the machine its a 120v inverter type welder and it has held up pretty well for the last 3 years or so

The gun has been replaced once shortly after getting it as the liner wore out but I suspect that is more from the PO kinking the lead than a design defect

I figured the drive wheel would be the weak point its a plastic contraption but it has held up well

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to me.theuser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help me.theuser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
me.theuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:47 AM   #3
Mark_b
Mark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

For a hobbyist it is a nice welder. I bought one at tractor supply. I had it for about a year. I put a few 10 pound spools through it. I sold it and bought the Hobart 210 with a spool gun. When I unpacked it the gun was a Miller. For the price the are nice units. I have only used them with gas I have not welded unshielded.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mark_b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mark_b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:05 AM   #4
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

I went ahead and got the Hobart 140.

Easy setup. Less than 10 minutes ftom open box to laying a bead.

Works very well with flux core on all settings. Throws a good bead with good penetration - enough so that I was able to weld 1 1/2 round stock to 5/8-10 threadall rod - then lathe the round stock off to true it to the rod. Heavy interrupted cuts - no problem.

I like it. I have the feeling this is going to get used - a lot.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:20 PM   #5
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

I'm cheap... and for as much as I planned on using it, I bought a Harbor Freight 90 amp flux core...

I had NEVER welded before I got it, but after a couple of practice burns on some scrap steel I had laying around from other random projects, I constructed a seat bracket to mount 2013 Cadillac ATS seats into my 2004 Chevy Blazer

I've used it a couple of times since then on random odds and ends (constructed a bird feeder holder for the wife, fixed a latch on a trailer for my neighbor, those kinds of little things), and it's worked out great, but it's not like I'm welding truck frames together with it or anything... But it's nice to know that I do have the ability to fix minor broken metal things in the garage instead of having to rely on a shop to do it for me.

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote