saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech

Old 09-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default Replacing TPMS

I just had my Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor replaced by the shop. I have an XE, (ABS, no traction control, but I believe they all have Corner Braking Control) Would they need to reset anything in the computer after replacing the valve/TPMS?
marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Replacing TPMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
I just had my Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor replaced by the shop. I have an XE, (ABS, no traction control, but I believe they all have Corner Braking Control) Would they need to reset anything in the computer after replacing the valve/TPMS?
Nope. The car sends a signal to the new sensor and auto learns the new sensors serial info and it gets transmitted just the same along with the other 3 to the main box.

Replacing them is the same as rotating them. The main box sends out its signal to speak to them, takes their info and brings it back so it knows where each one is. Pretty simple. Only thing you have to do is make sure you drove what is it around 15-20km? (sorry not sure the equal in mph maybe its around 10ish for you guys) for a few mins once the new one is put in so it could do its little check They im sure did that for you before handing it back and if they didnt, you did it on the way home
~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
OldMan30
OldMan30 is on a distinguished road

i just call the dealer, and they said i need a reprogrammation each time i put the new set...

is there a way to know the real answer?
OldMan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
SaturnTech122
SaturnTech122 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

The Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System uses the instrument panel cluster (IPC), tire pressure monitor receiver, 4 radio frequency transmitting pressure sensors, and the serial data circuit to perform the TPM learn mode functions. The sensor learn procedure must be performed after a tire pressure indicator receiver replacement or any sensor replacement. Once the vehicle learn mode has been enabled, each of the sensors unique identification codes can be learned into the receiver memory and will be displayed as Valid on the scan tool.

Directly from GmDealerWorld, when you rotate the tires on an astra there is no need to re-learn the sensors, but a new sensor must be learned to the vehicle.
Certified Saturn Technician
SaturnTech122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan30 View Post
i just call the dealer, and they said i need a reprogrammation each time i put the new set...

is there a way to know the real answer?
I guarantee you that the dealership does not need to program your new sensors with their tech2, for the Astra, and your dealership is wrong. I can also prove that its correct for sure, because I had 4 new sensors put on my vehicle last winter in my winter tires. New sensors, not related to my car and its current 4 sensors. I did NOT have the wheels put on at Saturn. I went to my friendly favorite tire mounting place, who does NOT have a Tech2 programming tool. They removed my existing wheels so in other words not only did I "technically" have 1 sensor replaced, I was having 4 replaced. They mounted the sensors to my winter rims, mounted my tires, and drove it. Thats all you need to do. The TPMS main ECU communicates with the sensors on the valves and reads the serial #s.

When spring comes I swap to my summer wheels which has 4 completely different sensors in them. I dont need a reprogram. I simply need to drive my vehicle. Thats your reprogram.
~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)
Old 09-18-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
marx404
Master Member

2008 Astra XE

Ok, then my next question is: What is the relation of the TPMS to ABS system? I have been curious as OnStar originally emailed me saying that my ABS was possibly faulty and it turned out to be the TPMS.
marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1
Old 09-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
OldMan30
OldMan30 is on a distinguished road

Thank You Christina!
OldMan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Ok, then my next question is: What is the relation of the TPMS to ABS system? I have been curious as OnStar originally emailed me saying that my ABS was possibly faulty and it turned out to be the TPMS.
that I can explain for you and how it is in the Astra because when I was going to get my screen activated to read the tpms read outs I needed to understand how the system worked, and how it was changed for us, but you'll have to wait til I get home Im about to leave and pick up the bf along the way. Will post back shortly. It will take me a few mins to write that out so it makes sense lol.
~Christina~
Old 09-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
marx404
Master Member

2008 Astra XE

hey wait, it's only 2:30 on a Friday afternoon and you are going home? I'm jealous, haha. Looking fwd to all the nitty gritty on TPMS/ABS.
marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1
Old 09-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
hey wait, it's only 2:30 on a Friday afternoon and you are going home? I'm jealous, haha. Looking fwd to all the nitty gritty on TPMS/ABS.
Add an hour :P It was around 330:P

Ok so the nitty gritty. So in the Astra there are actually 2 systems available. Theres the TPMS or tire pressure monitor system, and then theres the DDS system, which is deflation detection system.

The DDS is the most primitive. They can go hand in hand tho if you have both. The DDS works off the ABS system, with no display of pressures on the screen because its not actually reading pressures. The TPMS in the Astra reads the values of the pressure on each tire, and can be displayed on the screen.

So, the dds works in that it works off the abs and the wheel sensors speed and figures out if the tire is being lowered or not by the differential rotation speed of the flat tire, compared to all the rest of the tires positions/height, rather than actually measuring the pressure of the tires. Does that make sense to you? lol In other words it cant tell by pressure, just by height to speed rotation ratios.

The TPMS actually uses the tire pressure valves with sensors, and all 4 communicate to the main TPMS ecu which receives the readings back and fourth from each wheel. The equipment we have, can actually be read on the screen. Im thinking they didnt do it, because it can only be read on the GIDS (aka the uplevel advanced audio screen) at the lowest level, and then the color screen of course and since the TPMS is standard in ALL Astras, they probably figured it was easier to turn it off on the screen than give everyone an uplevel screen. Thats just one factor I think came into play. Of course there could be many more but im sure that was a part of it.

The ABS unit has to be able to support DDS and TPMS. Obviousley the one we have supports it. But you can get an ABS unit in the Astra elsewhere that doesnt support it, and these cars dont have tpms or dds. Theres different ABS units for the different systems (ie dds, tpms, stability control, hill assist, etc) If they wanted to retrofit the tpms system, they would need to change out their ABS unit to one that is compatable, and add the 4 sensors and ecu unit like we have as the main parts.

So this is why Onstar is telling you you could have an ABS issue. Its because the systems run off, and along side the ABS.

Im sure I could explain it in much more detail but thats the general jist of it
~Christina~
Old 09-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
marx404
Master Member

2008 Astra XE

Perfect explanation. Thank You Christina.
marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1
Old 09-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #12
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Perfect explanation. Thank You Christina.
No problem And now, Im headed out to enjoy the start of my weekend Have a good one yourself!
~Christina~
Old 09-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #13
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan30 View Post
Thank You Christina!
You're welcome Techs aren't always right. Sometimes they know just about as much as the regular guy coming in to get their service work done, especially on newer vehicles they aren't familiar with. It doesn't mean they're all bad, they just simply don't know something. If you correct them, alot of times they are more than glad for the info. Others don't know, like to think they do, and will argue you to the moon that you're wrong. Those are the ones to keep your car away from
~Christina~
Old 09-19-2009, 01:42 PM   #14
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

many dont realize that the system on astra is defferent the all other saturns. they would be correct if it were any other saturn
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:51 PM   #15
marijuandroid
marijuandroid is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

let me clarify this for everyone. im not sure about other countrys but here as of 2009 every vehicle must come with tpms sensors, not the crappy abs ones. any vehicle with tpms sensors must be relearned any time you rotate your tires. any good tire shop should have the tool to do so in seconds. the procedure should be in your owners manual. if you installed new sensors and your tire light isnt on, then they already relearned them for you. its not an automated procedure.

also there are many different makes of sensors all vehicle specifc sending out a different mhz. you couldent put just any sensors in your vehicle. the procedure can be done without the fancy tool, its just a ***** and involves going around to each tire and deflating and reinflating. this should all be in your owners manual.

Last edited by marijuandroid; 09-20-2009 at 03:57 PM.
marijuandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:40 PM   #16
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

astra automatically releans after rotations.
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #17
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marijuandroid View Post
let me clarify this for everyone. im not sure about other countrys but here as of 2009 every vehicle must come with tpms sensors, not the crappy abs ones. any vehicle with tpms sensors must be relearned any time you rotate your tires. any good tire shop should have the tool to do so in seconds. the procedure should be in your owners manual. if you installed new sensors and your tire light isnt on, then they already relearned them for you. its not an automated procedure.

also there are many different makes of sensors all vehicle specifc sending out a different mhz. you couldent put just any sensors in your vehicle. the procedure can be done without the fancy tool, its just a ***** and involves going around to each tire and deflating and reinflating. this should all be in your owners manual.
Here is a link to the Astra Owner's Manual off of GM Canada's website. On page 9-50, it explicitly states that our cars "auto-learn" whenever a sensor has been replaced.

I know of the tool and procedure that you are talking about, but both aren't required with the Astra. Nearly all other vehicles with radio transmitter TPMS technology that I've dealt with will report specific tire pressures for specific wheels. Such a system must undergo a relearn procedure when the tires are rotated so that the car understands which position each sensor has been shifted to. On our Astras, the car apparently doesn't seem to care which wheel is registering a fault. It just says "one of your tires is low" and that's it. Since it doesn't keep track of which tire is where, a relearn procedure isn't necessary.
"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:27 AM   #18
JagXKR
JagXKR is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I know of some 16" Saab 9-3 alum. wheels/winter tires for sale with the TPMS in them. I believe the the wheels fit, but will his TPMS sensors work in the Astra with no problems? Discount tire list the same sensor for both cars is why I am asking.
Thanks,
Matt '08 Astra XR3
'04 Jag XKR Coupe
'95 Vette ZR-1
'60 Triumph TR3
'07 Silverado
'95 Mustang
'10 Vibe
'08 Cobalt
JagXKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #19
grigio
grigio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagXKR View Post
I know of some 16" Saab 9-3 alum. wheels/winter tires for sale with the TPMS in them. I believe the the wheels fit, but will his TPMS sensors work in the Astra with no problems? Discount tire list the same sensor for both cars is why I am asking.
Thanks,
SAAB and Opel share quiete a few parts. The TPMS are the same: GM # 13172567. Wheels for both have the same bolt patern (5 x 110) and they are interchangeable as well.
grigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:15 PM   #20
velocast
velocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura about

Default Astra h tpms

When I was rotating my tires one TPMS sensor got broken. That is true, accident happen! I heard lots of trouble with aftermarket sensors. So, I decided to replace with a genuine one. The former Saturn dealership told me that they have to reprogram it and is GM part 13354312 (probably newer versions). So, I got a used one from eBay $17 (it looks exactly the same thing) and took it to my local tire shop to install $20. After few miles driving, boom! The yellow light is gone. No needed to reprogram! The system itself will do for you. Our sensor is GM 13172567 that is the number that is showing on the sensor's label.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TPMS sensor.jpg (81.6 KB, 15 views)
velocast is offline   Reply With Quote