SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 08-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
Wolfc70
Wolfc70 will become famous soon enoughWolfc70 will become famous soon enough

Mad Oil filter housing leaking!

Ok, so the local former Saturn dealer sent me a free oil change coupon. After getting a free oil change, now my filter housing leaks between the block and the housing. Sure enough, the cap was tightened to 15 million ft lbs! This is the second time this place has done this. But, since I took the cap off, they wont fix it. Ok, no big deal, I can eat the cost of the new housing, or maybe if I am lucky, just the o-ring. Only I can not remove the housing, the Haynes manual states that you have to spin the housing off. Only it will not turn. I did a search here, but I could not find anything of use. IIRC the housing has alignment tabs formed on it to prevent it from spinning, so why does the Haynes manual state otherwise. Any help would be appreciated! Form now on I am going to do my oil changes all the time!
"I tip my hat to the man who drives an Alfa Romeo" - Henry Ford
Wolfc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Oil filter housing leaking!

Are you sayin' your local Saturn dealer has a gorilla workin' in the service bays? Heh-heh, I guess they (Saturn) haven't been keeping up with the threads here. And Haynes should be tossed into the .........

The oil filter body can spin and is not locked into place with tabs, at least not mine when my local gorilla had to use a looong breaker bar to break loose mine a few years ago. In the service manual the housing is bolted in the center of the end that sits in the engine block - a 10mm(?) bolt holds it in place. When push comes to shove you can wrap a strap handle on the body or large channel lock pliers to grip the body from rotating as you loosen the cap. When and if you have the oil cap off with the filter, slip an extension with whatever socket goes in and either loosen the bolt for housing replacement or tighten it down some to prevent it from rotating. The cap only needs the slightest turn to lock and seal it from oil pressure leaks, the slightest. The large diameter O-ring provides the seal so the cap doesn't need the 15 million foot-pounds of torque for tightening as some low level gorillas assume. A light touch after seating the cap is all that's needed. Just replaced my oil filter last week end and less than 15ft-lbs are needed. Maybe 5 too much used.......
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
SaturnTech122
SaturnTech122 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

i would assume your talking about the 3.0l, the oil filter housing is held in place with a large torx bolt t50 i think but dont quote me on that, its inside the housing of course and there is a replaceable gasket behind it also
Certified Saturn Technician
SaturnTech122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #4
Wolfc70

Yes, there are some gorillas that work in the service bays at dealerships. In fact, this is the second one they broke. The cracked the first one after doing my thermostat/oil cooler cover leaks. That is right, he/she put the cap on so tight, it cracked the housing! Well then why go back there for an oil change? I was in the area, and had a free coupon. That and my floor jack broke it's universal joint for lowering, and already had one vehicle up in the air that would not come back down. Besides, I figured they all can't be hacks. Wrong! So I will go and buy a new housing and gasket, and just hope the o-ring is torn. Thanks!!

And yes it is the 3.0 in the L300.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
GregS&L
GregS&L is a jewel in the roughGregS&L is a jewel in the roughGregS&L is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1995 SL2

This seems to be a problem with the V6 oil filter. Inexperienced technicians who think everything should be tight, tight, tight.

Check this thread out, there is a picture of the entire V6 oil filter assembly (less the filter element). http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ght=oil+filter

The oil filter housing is held on the engine with a 12mm hex bolt. You need a 12mm hex bit to loosen the bolt in the center of the housing to remove it.

The torque for the Oil Filter Housing to Engine Block is 33 ft-lbs. The torque for the Oil Filter Cap is a mere 11 ft-lbs.

To the occasional wrencher without a torque wrench, 33 ft-lbs is some muscle (the new o-ring needs to be compressed to the block), 11 ft-lbs is just a bit beyond snug.

Go for it.
GregS&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
MaxSL2
Advanced Member
MaxSL2 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Perhaps you could use a chain style pair vise-grips to hold the housing while you attempt to break the cap loose?
MaxSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:46 PM   #7
Wolfc70

Ok so I changed the oil filter housing, and I still have a leak, though it is better. Now it looks like the CPS might be leaking. Is the CPS actually in by the sump? On my past few cars, the CPS actually read the flywheel, so the sensor was in the bell housing area. Is it worth trying to re-seat the o ring on the CPS or should I just by a new one since the OEM versions seem to get flaky at higher mileage. Any other ideas? I am pretty sure the oil filter housing leak has been corrected.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm not completely sure but the cps hole is just positioned to detect the crankshaft notches. No one replacing their cps' has ever had oil pouring out the hole when removing/replacing a faulty one to corroborate it being away from the main oil sump. The O-ring only serves to maintain a seal from any oil thrown up into the hole and leaking out. Perhaps removing it and examining the O-ring may reveal if its worn, cracked, or not seated properly and allowing oil seepage. At best, you can try matching another O-ring as you might not like the replacement cost for this little gem ( ).
VCX NANO
Old 08-31-2009, 02:40 PM   #9
Wolfc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I'm not completely sure but the cps hole is just positioned to detect the crankshaft notches. No one replacing their cps' has ever had oil pouring out the hole when removing/replacing a faulty one to corroborate it being away from the main oil sump. The O-ring only serves to maintain a seal from any oil thrown up into the hole and leaking out. Perhaps removing it and examining the O-ring may reveal if its worn, cracked, or not seated properly and allowing oil seepage. At best, you can try matching another O-ring as you might not like the replacement cost for this little gem ( ).
Hey thanks for your help, much appreciated. I know the CPS is north of 100 bucks. I just tested mine, 1400 ohms, dealer said once north of 1000 ohm is when "replacement should be considered", according to them. I will jack up and crawl under the car tonight and see what is going on. I changed the filter housing Saturday morning, and cleaned everything thoroughly. I did not notice a drip until this morning, 250 miles later. So it is slower than before. Maybe both were leaking and I did not notice. Any sign of oil was/is below the filter, everything else is dry.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #10
Wolfc70

Ok, cleaned everything and reseated the housing one more time. Took some pics.

This is the new housing before the first install.

The flange in the red circle is what was broken on the old one.

This is after cleaning with carb cleaner and a bunch of rags.

This one shows where the oil is starting to leak out of the CPS. The new CPS should be here tomorrow.

This is after running for 15 minutes or so. At least oil is no longer dripping down every where.

Well in showing to the engines British Heritage, it was/is leaking oil from three different sources. One was the oil filter housing caused by a gorilla. The second is the CPS leaking due to the European standard of brittle plastics/rubber. The O ring on the CPS is basically dry rotted and the CPS plastic is very brittle. This explains why they fail so readily, tiny cracks form and oil seeps into the sensor. The third seems to be a leaking oil pan gasket right near the accessory side. At first I thought front main seal, but once north of the pan gasket, everything is dry. At least that leak is not that bad yet. If I have time I will take some pics and do a right up on the CPS change.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #11
felixsifuentes
felixsifuentes is on a distinguished road

Hey i have tried looking for a new housing unit but no luck where did u buy it?
felixsifuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You might have better luck either ordering online from one of this site's sponsors that sells Saturn parts or order one from your local GM dealer. If you try your local GM dealer, call ahead.
VCX NANO
Old 04-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #13
subwolf1013
subwolf1013 is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Re: Oil filter housing leaking!

SATURN 3.0L V6 : Engine : Oil Filter Housing $32.79

DORMAN Part # 917047

rockauto.com
subwolf1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #14
subwolf1013
subwolf1013 is on a distinguished road

Awesome Post Wolfc70!

Photos of the housing worth a thousand words!
subwolf1013 is offline   Reply With Quote