SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2006, 12:35 AM   #1
usa4624
usa4624 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Default Correct tire pressure for L Series?

Since we've had a lot of discussion lately about tires and tire life, what pressure do you set your tires? I've heard a lot of different things:

Covert Saturn of Austin says 24 on the front, 29 on the rear
Cavender Saturn of San Antonio says 30, front and rear
Wal Mart says 32, front and rear
Discount Tire says 36 front, 39 rear
The car's label says 30 front and rear

I run mine at 30, front and rear, but suspension / alignment problems keep causing trouble. Should I keep them at 30, or is there a better PSI? I have a 2002 LW200, with 195/65-15.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to usa4624's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help usa4624 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
usa4624 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2006, 04:46 AM   #2
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Correct tire pressure for L Series?

Best bet is to go by the car label. I stick to 32 f/r as recommended by the local place that I get tires from. But discount tire's reccomendation of 36f /39r? That's too much, and the first dealer's reccomendation I think is too low. But like I said, your best bet is to go by the vehicle's label.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:55 AM   #3
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Well, yes and no. You didn't tell us what your goals are.
Correct tire pressure for all around handling and longest life is 30/30.
If you want to get the best gas milage it's whatever the maximum rating on the tire is, that'll bulge the center of the tire a bit and reduce rolling resistance but wear out the middle of the tire faster.
If you want to improve off the line handling (faster acceleration in a straight line) but cornering suffers a little, I'd go with 26f/34r.
With the V6 wagon and sport suspension for best handling with minimul reduction in tire life, I like 33f/30r.
Finally, having said all that, different tires react differently and require "adjusting" the pressure some too. For example, the Affinities have crappy, hard sidewall composition and need to be run a little lower to compensate for the hard sidewall.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
jlevino
jlevino is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
1991 SC

My 2000 LS2 doesn't actually have a label or anything specifically stated in the manual. Go figure. When I called the Saturn plant, they specified 32 PSI cold, both front and back.

Jay

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jlevino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jlevino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jlevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 03:40 PM   #5
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

Jay;

The tire info label on LS2 should be on rear edge of driver's side rear door.The inflation specs are 30 PSI front and rear for 195/65/15 as well as 205/65/15 tires.This is "cold".

The tire info is also on page 384 of 2000 Owner's Handbook. Check table of contents page in your Handbook and look at small print at bottom of page to make sure you have second edition.The first edition that came with early 2000 LS2s(like mine) was full of errors,duplicated and missing pages,etc.

I kept tires at 30 PSI,winter and summer and never had a problem for 4 years I had LS2. About 3/4 of my driving is on highways at 70 mph average.I rotate tires twice a year and have alignment checked every two years,regardless of the car I drive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote