SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2005, 11:21 AM   #1
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Replacing The Lower Tranmission Mount

I was inspired to do it this way by the video that Low Saturn was kind enough to post. View it at the following link before reading further:

http://www.differentracing.com/jeff/...nt_removal.wmv

Here the steps that the video doesn't show you and some pointers for getting the new mount on.

Under the hood remove the battery and all the bolts to the battery tray. The last bolt in the tray is in the wheel well. Note: Do not place the battery on concrete for any length of time. It will discharge the battery.

Remove the driver's side wheel. Please use safe jacking and support techniques.

Unbolt the last bolt into the battery tray and remove the tray. It's probably full of gunk. Clean it up with water and baking soda.

It's not necessary to completely remove the nut on the dogbone mount as shown in the video. You can just loosen it.

Remove the plastic splash shield in the driver's side wheel well and remove the lower nut inside the cradle and the two bolts into the transmission from the mount.

It's not done in the video and it's probably not needed, but I put a piece of wood on my floor jack before jacking the transmission up. You have to be careful to place the jack under the tranmission and not catch the rack in the process. If you place the jack properly, the transmission will raise up from the mount easily.

Pull the old mount out and place the new mount in it's place. If your old mount has shrunk up as much as mine had, you might have to jack up the tranny a little more. Put the lower nut on the end of the stud inside the cradle. Just go on a few threads. Don't tighten or even run it all the way up.

Tilt the mount towards you and lower the transmission SLOWLY. You just want to lower it enough to bolt the mount onto it. Because the lower nut is only on a few threads you have plenty of slack to bolt it onto the tranny.

Once the mount is bolted onto the transmission, lower it the rest of the way down. The lower nut needs to be torqued to 40 ftlbs. The bolts in the tranny need 35 ftlbs. I couldn't find the torque specifications for the dogbone mount probably because that's not the proper name for it, but I used 40 ftlbs.

Everything else goes back in the way it came out. Enjoy nice tight feeling of your new mount.

Thanks again to Low Saturn for his video.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2006, 02:04 AM   #2
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Replacing The Lower Tranmission Mount

is there a solution yet for auto trans. ? i remember people with an autotragic cannot lift the trans up high enough before hitting the frame rail on the side cover.

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
geartooth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:28 PM   #3
rkuris
rkuris is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

I shortened the bolt using a bench grinder until it would fit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rkuris's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rkuris reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rkuris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

I did this on an automatic later. It's the same procedure but, I found I had to place the jack under the oil pan. You definitely do have to use wood to protect the pan there.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by geartooth94 View Post
is there a solution yet for auto trans. ? i remember people with an autotragic cannot lift the trans up high enough before hitting the frame rail on the side cover.
Since I did a lower mount today, (1995 SW2, automatic, ABS) I can shed some light on the automatic tranny version of Auxmike's procedure.

Here's the short version - I can't compete with Auxmike's great pics but here's the some notes when doing the automatic:

-I bought the mount at Autozone so I can only speak for how the aftermarket part fits.....

-You need to remove the battery tray

-I didn't like the 3 jack method posted somewhere here so......

-You need to loosen the dogbone right beneath the battery tray - DON'T TAKE IT OUT AS THE TRANS WILL WANT TO MOVE FORWARD AND YOU"LL LOSE THE BOLT ALIGNMENT WHEN YOU GO TO BOLT IN THE NEW MOUNT!

-You don't need to move the ABS stuff or the master cylinder as suggested somewhere else here, the trans won't go high enough to touch them anyway.

-You'll jack up the trans as high as it will go until it hits the frame, its not 1/2 as far as Auxmike was able to jack up his manual, but its enough room to do it.

-If your mount is genuinely shot like mine was, it will have enough flex in it to remove it with a little bending and patience. (Its mostly rubber) Bend it at the top by the 2 bolt holes and you'll get enough clearance to pop the old one out.

-When you try to put the new one in, you'll find that it won't go because its "taller" then the one you took out so read on:

-On the bottom don't mess with the threaded stud but instead give the straight piece that goes into the frame next to it a couple of gentle whacks with a hammer. Do this on the ground before you try to install it. The idea here is bend it EVER SO SLIGHTLY (towards the threaded stud) to get it into the slot on the frame with a minimum of annoyance. Once it gets into the slot, everything else falls into place.

-Finally, I can't stress enough USE A TORQUE WRENCH...all of this stuff is aluminum.

-Thanks to Auxmike for all of the great pics!! He helped me a lot and hopefully I helped out all of us slushbox owners.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john95SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john95SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:24 PM   #6
99GreenSC1
Advanced Member
99GreenSC1 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1
2007 AURA XR

What socket do you use to remove the nut from the from for the lower mount? I can't get it off...I assume it's a 10mm just like the ones in the side of the tranny, but I can't get in there with a socket.

07 Cobalt LS 4 door - Ultra Silver - Auto - 35% tint - Injen intake - ARK short antenna - ARK FSTB - MTX X Thunderlink - Eibach Sportlines - Debadged

Wife's DD: 07 Aura XR w/ Moroccan Brown Leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99GreenSC1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99GreenSC1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99GreenSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:38 PM   #7
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GreenSC1 View Post
What socket do you use to remove the nut from the from for the lower mount? I can't get it off...I assume it's a 10mm just like the ones in the side of the tranny, but I can't get in there with a socket.
15 mm - use a 6 point

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john95SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john95SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:17 PM   #8
lil_buddy
Advanced Member
lil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC1

Video is gone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lil_buddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lil_buddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lil_buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
trock859
trock859 will become famous soon enough

1997 SL2

Having finally replaced the trans mount the other day on my 97 SL2 Auto, I followed these instructions except I didn't grind off the bolt or bend the metal tab. I placed another jack under the oil pan (the sissor jack from the trunk since I only have one floor jack) with a piece of wood 2X6 for protection. I just took the weight of the engine, so I could loosen the 2 nuts holding the engine mount to the body. This allowed me to slide the engine and trans toward the passenger side of the car. This allowed enough room for my old trans mount to come out with no prying at all (of course, my mount was original and really flat).

To install the new, and much taller, trans mount, I put the bolt in the hole as far as it would go. It would not fit all the way, so I put a #3 phillips screwdriver and a 1/4" socket extension in the 2 mount holes. When you lift up on them it squeezes the mount down till it pops under the transmission. Once the new one is in, you are home free. Just reassemble as per the numerous posts. It really didn't take much flexing to get it in.

I hope this helps someone as much as everyone else has helped me. I'll try to post a picture after I figure out how.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trock859's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trock859 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trock859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
trock859
trock859 will become famous soon enough

1997 SL2

Found out that you can't upload photo here. So the link to the photo is

http://home.insightbb.com/~firetrevjc/

It is a pic of my old mount in the vice, but it shows how I flexed the new mount to fit it under the transmission.

Last edited by trock859; 04-02-2011 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: get link to work

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trock859's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trock859 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trock859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #11
Threeshot223
Threeshot223 is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to post it so others could see, the torque spec for the transmission mount-to-transmission bolts is 24 ft lbs. I tried tightening mine to 35 ft lbs and I snapped one bolt and elongated the other.

I got lucky, the bolt snapped at the head, so I didn't have to do too much to extract it. But just fyi....24 ft lbs for those little 8mm bolts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Threeshot223's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Threeshot223 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Threeshot223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:54 AM   #12
keithreed
keithreed is on a distinguished road

Wow thanks for this. I am looking for this and I haven't found one that is clear. Thanks again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to keithreed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help keithreed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
keithreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #13
ssewall
ssewall is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Here's my experience doing this on an auto:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178076

I took some pics of the pry points I used to get the little bugger out and in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssewall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssewall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssewall is offline   Reply With Quote