SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2
Default How-to remove and replace intake manifold + gasket

Here's a how-to vid on removing the intake manifold on a 2001 sl2. I got this car and a coolant line on the intake manifold was broken off. I had a spare intake and I swapped them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHsGBRmZd5w

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2010, 02:02 AM   #2
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: How-to remove and replace intake manifold + gasket

Another good one Shawn! I hadn't realized that the Gen III's intakes were so different! from the earlier ones.

Going for the 2010 Richpin award? Slow the pace a little. Maybe it's a difference between MA and CO state of mind? Of course, I'm just rib'n.

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by off-track View Post
Another good one Shawn! I hadn't realized that the Gen III's intakes were so different! from the earlier ones.

Going for the 2010 Richpin award? Slow the pace a little. Maybe it's a difference between MA and CO state of mind? Of course, I'm just rib'n.
haha - naw. I just had the opportunity to make a how-to with this job becaus I don't recall seeing one. Plus I'm not a mechanic so when I say things like "I unplugged this electrical connector, whatever it is" you should know that I'm not going for any awards

Plus, I've taken a whole lot from this site and I want to contribute as best I can with my limited knowledge. Making how-tos is a way for me to do that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
iuam
iuam is on a distinguished road

Is it absolutely necessary to move the engine forward to remove the intake? did you have to loosen the transmission at all to move it? Is there any torque specs and sequence of tightening the intake bolts back on?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to iuam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help iuam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
iuam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
ShawnV
Master Member

2000 SW2

I think it was necessary to move the engine forward. I had a terrible time getting the intake back in. I only loosened the engine from the passenger side, but if I were going to do this repair again I would strongly consider removing the driver dogbone to allow more wiggle room.

I'm not sure what the torq specs are on the intake.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuam
Is there any torque specs and sequence of tightening the intake bolts back on?
The How To Library to the rescue:

(not sure these are the bolts you asked about or whether we're talking SOHC/DOHC - or even what year, as the torque specs changed on some things over the years - so I quoted several and the link so you can check yourself. If you put your year and model, you can sometimes get a more specific answer)

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ntake+manifold
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
Intake Manifold Retaining Nuts 22
Intake Manifold Support Bracket to Engine Bolt
DOHC
LH Side 22
RH Side 41
SOHC 22

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote