SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2018, 09:23 AM   #1
cjhsa
cjhsa is a jewel in the roughcjhsa is a jewel in the roughcjhsa is a jewel in the rough

2007 VUE 3.5L
Default 2007 AWD V6 CEL Light On then Off

I got my Vue really muddy, and the CEL came on. I got it washed, and it went out - without even restarting the engine. Then it came on again an hour later.

Thoughts?

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cjhsa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cjhsa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cjhsa is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2018, 01:45 PM   #2
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2007 AWD V6 CEL Light On then Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhsa View Post
Thoughts?
Check the code.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:16 AM   #3
cjhsa
cjhsa is a jewel in the roughcjhsa is a jewel in the roughcjhsa is a jewel in the rough

2007 VUE 3.5L

Had it checked, it's an EVAP code P04020 . Same one as about a year ago I had one mechanic say one of the pre-cats (upstream) needed to be replaced ($1100) and another tell me to forget it. Which one would you pick? Vue runs fine. Gas mileage is fine.

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

Last edited by cjhsa; 10-04-2018 at 08:22 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cjhsa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2018, 08:22 AM   #4
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Don't worry about it unless you have to pass emissions inspection.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:00 AM   #5
cjhsa

2007 VUE 3.5L

I've switched to higher octane fuel (mid grade) and my mileage went up 10%. I also bought a new gas cap. So far the light is staying off.

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #6
cjhsa

2007 VUE 3.5L

Crazy stuff. After replacing the gas cap, I started it on a very cool morning, and a mile down the road, the CEL came on again. I had no way to reset it, not even a wrench to disconnect the battery, so I ignored it. Drove home 129 miles the next day, light on the whole way. Went to run an errand - the light was off. Wth....

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-15-2018, 01:39 PM   #7
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Light may be off but it's still stored in the memory. Need to scan it and see if it's the same or a new code.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:04 PM   #8
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Crazy stuff. After replacing the gas cap, I started it on a very cool morning, and a mile down the road, the CEL came on again. I had no way to reset it, not even a wrench to disconnect the battery, so I ignored it. Drove home 129 miles the next day, light on the whole way. Went to run an errand - the light was off. Wth....
See attached service manual extract which explains how the code is set and how it could self clear after a few run cycles.

I take care of four 3.5 Vues and have seen code P0420 a couple of times.

The code cleared in both cases after replacing the downstream HO2S sensing device.

Quality devices (both Denso and NTK) are available thru Internet sales (ROCKAUTO is one vendor) at around $45 before shipping and I imagine Amazon would have at competitive prices.

The sensor is not difficult to replace and I will email instructions - send address by PM if interested.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3.5 DTC P0420.pdf (28.6 KB, 8 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:50 AM   #9
cjhsa

2007 VUE 3.5L

PM sent.

I found this interesting.

Before the PCM can report DTC P0420 or DTC P0430 failed...

The engine speed is between 1,150-2,000 RPM.

The vehicle speed is 7 km/h (4 mph) or more.

So, I'm wondering if maybe just letting the vehicle warm up a bit would help. I tend to start and drive away, slowly, for garage stink and gas mileage reasons, but maybe it's s bad idea, especially since the car is older.

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #10
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
PM sent.

I found this interesting.

Before the PCM can report DTC P0420 or DTC P0430 failed...

The engine speed is between 1,150-2,000 RPM.

The vehicle speed is 7 km/h (4 mph) or more.

So, I'm wondering if maybe just letting the vehicle warm up a bit would help. I tend to start and drive away, slowly, for garage stink and gas mileage reasons, but maybe it's s bad idea, especially since the car is older.
I've not seen PM - please resend with email address.

There are other factors needed besides two you listed such as coolant temperature and cat-converter temperature so I would crank up and move out like normal.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote