SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
gas3987
gas3987 is on a distinguished road

Default Source for an engine oil dipstick?

I am wondering if it is even possible to find a replacement dipstick for a 1999 SL2. Essentially how mine is broken is a lower portion of the yellow plastic is broke off and just rides down the metal dipstick some when I pull it out. I suppose it's more of an annoyance but I imagine the rest of the plastic in the handle can't be in much better shape.

I found an older thread from 2009, which I can't link to because I'm too new.

Is the 1995-2002 for either engine correct? Is it possible to get "genuine OEM" parts for these cars through other GM dealerships?

I have not checked the local junkyards yet because the several close to me are small and I can't recall many S-series at them.

Overall this little bugger is still doing okay, in a few weeks when I have a free weekend I'm going to do some fluid changes and pull all the wheels and give it a thorough look over. (However all inspections I could do pre-purchase turned up great)

Then I'll see what I got myself into!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gas3987's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gas3987 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gas3987 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #2
gas3987

Default Re: Source for an engine oil dipstick?

FWIW, I called one of the really good local salvage yards and they don't have any at the moment. My search continues!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help gas3987 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #3
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2

Looks like one of the yards here has a few S series. Looked like 1 second gen and a few thirds. If you want I might be able to go see if they have one. I don't know if it'd be worth it to ship though.

Current:

1999 SC2, 198,XXX

Past:

1989 Mustang LX, Unknown mileage(JY engine in it when I got it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ninetynineSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ninetynineSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:31 PM   #4
OU812
Advanced Member
OU812 has a spectacular aura aboutOU812 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

Check E-BAY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OU812's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OU812 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Late 95 and newer, 21006946 Junk yard or eBay. OEM is frightenly expensive, if you can find one. Any engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #6
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Saturn-...RWzMNj&vxp=mtr

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:37 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

At that price I would drive to the local pick& pull and collect a cart full of stuff I might need and toss in a handful of things such as sensors, dipsticks etc. They usually do not get to excited about small stuff if you buy a bunch of larger items.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #8
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
At that price I would drive to the local pick& pull and collect a cart full of stuff I might need and toss in a handful of things such as sensors, dipsticks etc. They usually do not get to excited about small stuff if you buy a bunch of larger items.
well it sounded like his local yards don't have any s-series now. it's easy though just order it & it arrives at your door, ya don't even have to leave the house. I wonder if the same dip stick fits other cars as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-04-2016, 10:15 AM   #9
gas3987

Thank you guys, I have one more shot at a yard nearby I will check this morning. Otherwise I'll check out that Ebay link.

It's amazing, there is a plethora of transmission dipsticks around but not engine dipsticks?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-04-2016, 01:30 PM   #10
gas3987

Hey guys, I ended up needing to visit my mom today and she lives right by another salvage yard. By a stroke of luck they had a 1996 SL1 with a nice dipstick. Guy there only wanted $5.00! Wicked!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-04-2016, 02:06 PM   #11
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

OOPS, I'm too late, glad you found one though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:42 PM   #12
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas3987 View Post
Hey guys, I ended up needing to visit my mom today and she lives right by another salvage yard. By a stroke of luck they had a 1996 SL1 with a nice dipstick. Guy there only wanted $5.00! Wicked!
I wouldn't think a dipstick would be so hard to find. anyway great! it's cheaper than the ebay special I posted here....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!