SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2015, 07:58 PM   #1
brokendown
brokendown has a spectacular aura aboutbrokendown has a spectacular aura aboutbrokendown has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL
Default HELP key locked in car >_<

In a crappy side of town. And after the $52 cab fee don't have enough left for a locksmith now.

It's an SL0, manual windows/doors, wondering what the best way to get in is as i've never had to do it before on this car. Whether I need to make a tool (better than a coathanger) or what, cant really hook the lock with a coathanger anyways...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brokendown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brokendown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brokendown is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2015, 08:29 PM   #2
Dadillac
Dadillac has a spectacular aura aboutDadillac has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL1
Default Re: HELP key locked in car >_<

Go to a GM dealer and have a key cut by VIN. You will have to show proof of ownership, registration, title, etc. Cost me $9 at a GMC dealer. Chevy dealer a few miles from them said $80. So find an honest dealer

Don

Modern Warriors Saddle Iron Horses of Chrome

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dadillac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dadillac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dadillac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Or YouTube search on how to pick open a car door; tennis ball, string, wedge......... haven't found a slim Jim yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:23 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Find a local person with an S-Series and just use their key, my spare door key for a '93 SL2 was the ignition key from a '94 SL

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:58 AM   #5
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Find a local person with an S-Series and just use their key, my spare door key for a '93 SL2 was the ignition key from a '94 SL
How I broke into my 01 Sc2 that I bought with no keys... Took 50 keys with me and found the key that worked in the door and then one that worked in ignition....

Ex locked her keys in her Saturn and was freaking out.... Told her to "shut up" and went digging in my car for a few sets of keys... Found a s-series key that opened her door and she was amazed (had like 5 s-series keys in my vue at the time)

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:40 AM   #6
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member
Bildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Up until I lubed my latches and such I could just give the door a couple jolts and it would magically unlock. Worked better when you didn't intend for it to.

Bill from Extreme Southern North Carolina
'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bildo Baggins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bildo Baggins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bildo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:47 AM   #7
Steve44
Steve44 is just really niceSteve44 is just really niceSteve44 is just really niceSteve44 is just really nice

1999 SL1
1999 SL2

Last week at the local grocery store, My Dogs locked me out of the car. I'm nice enough to leave the radio on for them, and this is the thanks I get
I have never had a problem hooking the lock with a coat hanger, except this time, there were none to be found. The drivers window was down about 2", not enough to get my hand in. Then it came to me. I removed the passenger side wiper blade, stuck in through the window and walla! We're back in

The SL1...The Lucky Car
The SL2..The awesome deal.
The #3 Silver SL2 FIVE SPEED!
World's biggest fan of doing it the easy way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Steve44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Steve44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Steve44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #8
Sid
Advanced Member
Sid will become famous soon enough

1996 SW2

I'm getting the impression that this is one of those Saturn items that has gotten set aside or discarded over the years:

It's helped me avoid some problems a couple of times.

96 SW2 5MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 03:37 PM   #9
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
I'm getting the impression that this is one of those Saturn items that has gotten set aside or discarded over the years:

It's helped me avoid some problems a couple of times.
I still have mine in my wallet. I also have one hidden under my car (been doing that for 20+ years) - have not been locked out of my car in forever.

The new Mazda, with these $350 keys, can't hide those under a car - can't lock yourself out either though. Only time will tell if the cost is worth the convenience.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 04:30 PM   #10
OU812
Advanced Member
OU812 has a spectacular aura aboutOU812 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

Last year i locked my keys in. Since then i hide a key on the outside of my car. I also carry a key in my wallet but on that day i just went down to get something out of my car and left my wallet home.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OU812's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OU812 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:25 PM   #11
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

More than 24 hours have passed, I wonder how it all worked out.

Besides, the OP has an SL0 or so they said...SL-OHOH maybe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:59 PM   #12
KDulcimer
KDulcimer is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2

You can also use a wedge to crack open a front door, then you just reach in with something suitably long, narrow, and rigid, and unlock it.

SaturnFans helper map: http://bit.ly/1uDorVF

1998 SW2 & 2002 SL sold, but I still see them around!
Purchased automatic 1996 SW2 September 2018.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KDulcimer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KDulcimer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KDulcimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:15 PM   #13
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSaturn02 View Post
I still have mine in my wallet. I also have one hidden under my car (been doing that for 20+ years) - have not been locked out of my car in forever.
Where under the car do you put it? Assuming you use a magnet holder?

Current:

1999 SC2, 198,XXX

Past:

1989 Mustang LX, Unknown mileage(JY engine in it when I got it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ninetynineSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ninetynineSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:55 PM   #14
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynineSC2 View Post
Where under the car do you put it? Assuming you use a magnet holder?
No magnet. Duct tape! It is actually sitting on TOP of something near the front of the car so that the tape doesn't have to fight gravity. Also, if you slide under the car, you can't see it. But you can reach under, feel for it, and pull the tape off if necessary.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2015, 08:08 AM   #15
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
No magnet. Duct tape! It is actually sitting on TOP of something near the front of the car so that the tape doesn't have to fight gravity. Also, if you slide under the car, you can't see it. But you can reach under, feel for it, and pull the tape off if necessary.
I don't hide a spare but my parents would duct tape a spare key to the lower bottom back of their rear license plate. There's enough play in the rear license plate where you can pull the bottom forward and pull the key off when needed.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #16
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member
Bildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Hmm

Noted

I keep a spare in my man purse (backpack) which usually goes everywhere with me.

Bill from Extreme Southern North Carolina
'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bildo Baggins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bildo Baggins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bildo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #17
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2

Quote:
I should look into doing this on the off chance I lock my keys in the car (always have keys in hand when locking it), my only spares are at home.

Current:

1999 SC2, 198,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2015, 09:08 AM   #18
TXSaturn02
Master Member

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynineSC2 View Post
I should look into doing this on the off chance I lock my keys in the car (always have keys in hand when locking it), my only spares are at home.
Like I said, I've never been locked out since doing this (only had to remove the tape twice in 25+ years). It is not if, but when, you will need it. It is a 'non-normal' situation that arises that causes you to get out of your normal routine and temporary lapse in judgement. The last time it happened to me (almost 10 years ago), I was attending a road race and thought I had tied a key to my shoelace before locking the door, but forgot that one time (something I used to do all the time). But, one quick lapse in your normal routine, is all it takes. Almost everyone already has duct tape laying around - cost, is next to nothing after having a $2 duplicate key made for solely that purpose (opening the door only, when your other 'real' key is at home).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #19
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

Quote:
Like I said, I've never been locked out since doing this (only had to remove the tape twice in 25+ years). It is not if, but when, you will need it. It is a 'non-normal' situation that arises that causes you to get out of your normal routine and temporary lapse in judgement. The last time it happened to me (almost 10 years ago), I was attending a road race and thought I had tied a key to my shoelace before locking the door, but forgot that one time (something I used to do all the time). But, one quick lapse in your normal routine, is all it takes. Almost everyone already has duct tape laying around - cost, is next to nothing after having a $2 duplicate key made for solely that purpose (opening the door only, when your other 'real' key is at home).
What something is your key on top of under there? I could probably find a suitable place myself but it sounds like yours might be ideal.

Current:

1999 SC2, 198,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #20
TXSaturn02
Master Member

2002 SL2

Sent you a PM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!