SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2015, 11:50 PM   #1
AlastorV
AlastorV is on a distinguished road

Default Blown Cam? Help?

I got a 1998 SW2 second hand in great condition recently with only 35k miles on it and though it was a great deal, replaced all the hoses and tires and thought it would be good for a while. Well after putting about 10k miles on it it started eating coolant, then shortly after it was dumping oil into the coolant. Took it to a mechanic and they quoted me~$1,600 for a cracked cam, stating that this is a decently common thing. A mechanic friend of mine suggested just getting a refurbished engine, i'm not sure what i should do, and money is tight so i'm not sure what a new engine would cost/if its worth it in the long run.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlastorV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlastorV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlastorV is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2015, 07:35 AM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Blown Cam? Help?

Get a running JY engine.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:32 PM   #3
AlastorV

I assume you mean a junkyard engine. Im not quite the best with lingo these days. But thanks for the advice, ill look around and see if that is viable for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AlastorV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-19-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Go to almost any autoparts store and purchase "Blue Devil" Head gasket sealer for ~$50. I used this on my 92 Dodge Dakota 8 cyl 5 years ago and the engine has run great ever since.
It's a lot cheaper and faster than replacing the head gasket......
Just follow all directions. You MUST use water to flush out all coolant before using this sealer. Some other sealers ARE compatible with coolant and the afore mentioned flush is not necessary with those gasket sealers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:35 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

How does anyone know a cracked camshaft occurred sight unseen? And when did this become a common issue? You may have to search long and hard on these forums to find a cracked camshaft.......Perhaps this is just creative imagination from one mechanic.

Is this '98 w/35k miles actual or is there a chance the odometer numbers were changed? The condition of the car especially the engine bay and entire undercarriage from front to back would show evidence of nearly new condition or severe rust and corrosion. If its nearly new and the head gasket blew with no other problems when you drove it 10k miles before this issue occurred, this may be just a simple head gasket replacement and cleaning/inspection of the cylinder head and engine block. The cleaning, if nothing is found damaged or worn on the cylinder head also allows checking for a warped head, including the engine block (flatness across the top of the block. Of course this requires disassembling the upper portion of the engine and requires time and patience if you have the skills for home repairs. This can be the lowest cost inspection and repair or reveal more damage before considering a replacement engine especially if this engine has less than 50k miles on it...................

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:21 PM   #6
AlastorV

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
How does anyone know a cracked camshaft occurred sight unseen? And when did this become a common issue? You may have to search long and hard on these forums to find a cracked camshaft.......Perhaps this is just creative imagination from one mechanic.

Is this '98 w/35k miles actual or is there a chance the odometer numbers were changed? The condition of the car especially the engine bay and entire undercarriage from front to back would show evidence of nearly new condition or severe rust and corrosion. If its nearly new and the head gasket blew with no other problems when you drove it 10k miles before this issue occurred, this may be just a simple head gasket replacement and cleaning/inspection of the cylinder head and engine block. The cleaning, if nothing is found damaged or worn on the cylinder head also allows checking for a warped head, including the engine block (flatness across the top of the block. Of course this requires disassembling the upper portion of the engine and requires time and patience if you have the skills for home repairs. This can be the lowest cost inspection and repair or reveal more damage before considering a replacement engine especially if this engine has less than 50k miles on it...................
It was in great condition aside from the rubber rotting when we got it. It was bought from a close family friend who's mother had just passed. She basically used it for short grocery trips and the occasional hour long drive to visit her son. I'm hoping it is just a gasket, and sadly i have neither the tools nor skills to do this myself. I will have to find a reliable mechanic to do this for me, i think that seems like the best option

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-19-2015, 05:44 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I can fully understand and my apology if I seemed suspicious at first as nothing was given as a hint about extremely low mileage. What's puzzling is the seemingly premature nature of a head gasket blowing. Perhaps its due to light useage. Hopefully you find a repair shop that won't take advantage of you, determine the reason for head gasket failure and if its a reasonable repair to allow long term use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:56 PM   #8
AlastorV

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I can fully understand and my apology if I seemed suspicious at first as nothing was given as a hint about extremely low mileage. What's puzzling is the seemingly premature nature of a head gasket blowing. Perhaps its due to light useage. Hopefully you find a repair shop that won't take advantage of you, determine the reason for head gasket failure and if its a reasonable repair to allow long term use.

Nah, your all good. I really aprreciate the help.
Thanks alot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-20-2015, 09:55 AM   #9
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

If the engine has less than 60kMi , might be valuable.
If subject bad overheat ,or developed knock from low oil pressure , not so much.

Strongly suggest find very competent mechanic , because need make some Informed Judgement calls. Maybe try a local (ex) Saturn dealership ... they might be familiar.

Both camshaft and headgasket/head failures relatively rare on '98 ... suspect maybe coolant drained out .

There are characteristic head leaks for DOHC engines; familiar mechanic can probably locate.

If block good a new head worth while ; head needs removal + inspection after checking for crack while on car.

See following:

I.) Head Gasket or cracked head?
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...C+cracked+head
OldNuc When the DOHC head cracks it is usually between the 3rd and 4th exhaust runners and oil issues forth in a flood.

II.) RichPin Foto DOHC Typical Crack :
http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...hp/photo/41570

III.) cracked head now what?

IV.) Renopker cracked head - DOHC 81Kmi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:30 AM   #10
OU812
Advanced Member
OU812 has a spectacular aura aboutOU812 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Go to almost any autoparts store and purchase "Blue Devil" Head gasket sealer for ~$50. I used this on my 92 Dodge Dakota 8 cyl 5 years ago and the engine has run great ever since.
It's a lot cheaper and faster than replacing the head gasket......
Just follow all directions. You MUST use water to flush out all coolant before using this sealer. Some other sealers ARE compatible with coolant and the afore mentioned flush is not necessary with those gasket sealers.
I used blue devil about 15 years ago on a car i was about to junk and it worked. If you dont wanna spend a ton of money fixing a cracked head or blown gasket definitely use it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OU812's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OU812 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote