SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2015, 10:50 PM   #1
Jack Black
Jack Black is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2
Default p0300 chaos

Its driving me nuts.. New plugs, wires, coil towers clean and tested, ICM proved working.. Checked for lose motor mounts and other mounting brackets.. EGR cleaned and swapped for know good unit .. MAP sensor r and r'ed .. Fuel rail swapped from old engine, carb cleaner sprayed on fuel rail o rings and intake.. Oh shoot, this is a 99 DOHC that was swapped in place of another DOHC with a burned exhaust valve.. Should I be checking the ground by the starter for issues? Serp belt is newer, alt bracket tight.. AC was recharged after swap, when engine stops the clutch can be seen turning back wards a couple of times, not sure if that's normal.??. What didn't get swapped was the knock sensor or ckps.. Is there supposed to be a relearn for the PCM with a different ckps in place? The MPG is down around 28, usually averaged 33/34.. I may go double check FP, the fuel filter was replaced about 15000 miles ago with the Wix/NAPA part.. And yes, I tried to find other posts here related to p0300, and walked through with them..

I'm kind of stumped... TIA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jack Black's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jack Black reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jack Black is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2015, 10:54 PM   #2
Jack Black

1999 SW2
Default Re: p0300 chaos

My scan tool does not display info as to life data, but the Mac it was connected to would show misfires on cyl 2 and 3 starting around 1500 rpm.. Made me think coil pack but the swap with 4/1 showed it was working correctly..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jack Black reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2015, 11:02 PM   #3
Jack Black

1999 SW2

On its recent smogging, the HC's were higher, 75ppm I believe... It should be way lower than that.. That alone is telling me its running rich.. I need some run time to settle in the STFT and LTFT readings after changing the MAP out..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-06-2015, 11:05 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

How did you validate the ICM was functioning correctly? Have you cleaned and inspected the ICM connector and socket? Clean with CRC QD-Electronics Connection Cleaner. Do not use any grease on this connector except very lightly on the environmental seal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:10 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

STFT is dynamic, ignore it for trends. LTFT is only loaded into a table when at idle and steady throttle cruise. If you are getting misfires then the LTFT is of minimal value.

What are you using for plugs?

Have you run a compression test?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2015, 11:11 PM   #6
Jack Black

1999 SW2

The ding bat that installed the motor insisted my ICM was bad.. So he ordered new one installed it with a foot in his mouth, because his MAC scan tool continued to show the misses in 2/3 .. He was mad as hell when I told him he could try it, but I figured my original ICM was ok.. The car never had a p0300 before I let the twit mess with it..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-06-2015, 11:18 PM   #7
Jack Black

1999 SW2

The V powers, and I know your going to smack my hand for using the bosch wires, but this is the second set of bosch and used a set of Delcos with the same results... He claimed the compression was 195 all the way across... I may have to double check that myself... Front cat is void now too..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-06-2015, 11:21 PM   #8
lowflyer
lowflyer is a name known to alllowflyer is a name known to alllowflyer is a name known to alllowflyer is a name known to alllowflyer is a name known to alllowflyer is a name known to all

2001 SWP
2000 SWP

running rich- misfire- how about fuel injectors? first use a stethoscope or screwdriver to check for sound. possibly pull them out and put them in a plastic bag or jar to check for spray consistency. it takes both spark and fuel to run smooth. sounds like to much gas to cylinders.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lowflyer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lowflyer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:33 AM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The second thing to do is go to a pick and pull and get a 96 or newer DIS module(2 coils and ICM) and install it. Do not run to the parts store and buy a aftermarket coil or ICM. Get the connector as well with a good chunk of pigtail on it.

The first thing to do is connector cleaning. There is the possibility this is a bad connection on the 2/3 coil trigger. So the $8.00 fix will be connector cleaning.

You can listen to the injectors or feed it a 12oz bottle of Chevron Techron Concentrate in 1/2 tank of gas and see if it runs better.

This was not broke until the ICM swapping started.

Do a compression test to max pressure and count the compression strokes. Crank it until the gauge quits increasing for 2 compression strokes.

Last edited by OldNuc; 08-07-2015 at 12:46 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2015, 12:33 AM   #10
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

What year DOHC was swapped in?

Attached the FSM P0300 diagnostic aid, not sure how much the scan tool stuff can be done with a Tech II knockoff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (135.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (93.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (199.6 KB, 7 views)

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:57 AM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Was the coolant sensor replaced with the brass one?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:29 AM   #12
OU812
Advanced Member
OU812 has a spectacular aura aboutOU812 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

Had a po300 a few months ago, car felt like it was gonna blow up, a new ICM
and coils (fromRockauto) solved the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OU812's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OU812 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:05 PM   #13
Jack Black

1999 SW2

The motor was a late 99 that went in, some 30000 higher production number, even had the tie plate for the mains. The ects has the brass style, I'm sure it was replaced on the recall, white wires and the connector was clean.. I can hear the injectors pulsing... I am going to double check the connector, clean it up with a little acetone ... If that doesn't work it's time for a jy connector... As long as it is 96 and up I should be fine if I understood Nuc... I presume the ICM doesn't matter if it's sohc or dohc ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2015, 04:08 PM   #14
Jack Black

1999 SW2

When I get home I'll look at the FSM's.. Sometimes smart phones suck cause I can't read worth a **** from them.. Love this place..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2015, 04:37 PM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Inspect the 2 wires from the ECTS back to the crimp connectors, cut them out and properly solder those wires. That may not fix the p300 but it is a start.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2015, 05:49 PM   #16
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

A crank relearn may be needed. This is a different engine than the vehicle originally had.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:45 PM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That is not out of the question either but you can not do the relearn if you are setting random misfire codes so that has to be fixed or minimized to the point you can get the relearn to run

OP. if you can clear the p300 can you idle the car until it is fully warmed up without setting a code? IF no then warm up the car, shut it off, pull the PCM B fuse to clear all codes and reset, start car and watch the SES. IF the SES starts flashing then accelerate to 3000-3500 RPM and hold it there until the SES goes out. If no code sets at idle then watch the SES and if it starts flashing continuously accelerate to 3000-3500 RPM and hold it there until the SES goes out. This is the DIY crank relearn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2015, 08:47 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesl2 View Post
A crank relearn may be needed. This is a different engine than the vehicle originally had.
It is very rare for the relearn to be required, has happened maybe once or twice but it could be the answer here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2015, 04:05 PM   #19
Jack Black

1999 SW2

A bit of an update.. MAP changed Thursday, LTFT at 65 is remaining stable, found a disconnected sensor related to Secondary air system disconnected under the intake.. EVAP monitor set ready, fuel mileage has increased. This as stated, the fuel trims have nothing to do with the misfire if I am right..

I can still trigger the flashing CEL, at a higher RPM 4500-5000 while traffic merging is now where I am seeing this.. But the car runs smoother at idle after I cleaned the pins on the ICM connector..

JY trip this morning netted me a pair of coils and a genuine GM ICM .. I realize looks are not a great indicator, but the brass grounds on the coils and ICM look to be in a like new appearance, very little patina on the brass surfaces.. Also got a the pig tail for the ICM, cut back to the harness.. So I am waiting for both the car and a couple of beer to cool down..

Now as far as the ECTS, I have ran into the (s)nag before, and it was very apparent on the scan tool it was not functioning properly by the 30f temp swings.. This one is remaining stable, and the T stat is a fairly new NAPA/Stant 195, the one recommended by the forums..

I'll go get the car warmed up to operation temps and pull fuse and see what I get..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2015, 04:30 PM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Inspect the ECTS wiring, it only takes 5 minutes. If there are splices in it the mixture will be all fouled up because of them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!