SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2016, 01:33 PM   #1
Muayad925
Muayad925 is on a distinguished road

Default Car doesn't start after getting gas!

Hey i have a 2006 saturn ion redline 5 speed manual. Everytime i fill up gas the car doesn't start.. If it does start it dies right away unless i rev it.. The way i bypass this is to pump gas with the car on. What could the problem be? I heard purge valve?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Muayad925's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Muayad925 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Muayad925 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2016, 09:28 AM   #2
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Car doesn't start after getting gas!

Any codes,lights, or other engine related poor performance that may shed more light on the issue?

So if understood correctly if you successfully get it started once after refueling the issue doesn't repeat? You could drive it across the street, start and stop it for a minute or 12 hours and it'll behave normally? (You don't Rev or "prime" the Engine for Startup? "Just to be safe".)

Fuel Filter ever been changed? At what point do you usually fuel up? 1/2,1/4,E,Low Fuel,Fumes, or Whenever you have a good price or Convenience? Do you regularly use a Top Tier Detergent Standard Gasoline or other Name Brand (Many have joined the Top Tier Standard)? No-Name? Combination of both? Have you used any Fuel System Cleaner and/or HEET to help clear the tank of unwanted contaminants?

Any rusted/leaking fuel line repairs in the near future? (Behind the Driver's Side Rear Tire is a known bad spot for fuel line rusting.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:35 AM   #3
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muayad925 View Post
Everytime i fill up gas the car doesn't start..
You do stop filling up after the auto shutoff stops the pump?

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
Muayad925

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave View Post
Any codes,lights, or other engine related poor performance that may shed more light on the issue?

So if understood correctly if you successfully get it started once after refueling the issue doesn't repeat? You could drive it across the street, start and stop it for a minute or 12 hours and it'll behave normally? (You don't Rev or "prime" the Engine for Startup? "Just to be safe".)

Fuel Filter ever been changed? At what point do you usually fuel up? 1/2,1/4,E,Low Fuel,Fumes, or Whenever you have a good price or Convenience? Do you regularly use a Top Tier Detergent Standard Gasoline or other Name Brand (Many have joined the Top Tier Standard)? No-Name? Combination of both? Have you used any Fuel System Cleaner and/or HEET to help clear the tank of unwanted contaminants?

Any rusted/leaking fuel line repairs in the near future? (Behind the Driver's Side Rear Tire is a known bad spot for fuel line rusting.)
Only after getting gas it does this, after i turn it off, i can start it right back up just fine. I dont get poor engine performance. Im not sure if the fuel filters been changed ive had the car for only half a year.. I usually fill up when its close to E with only name brand premium gas like chevron, shell, arco. And no i never used any cleaners.. And i live in california i don't think rust would be a problem

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Muayad925 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2016, 11:26 AM   #5
Muayad925

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
You do stop filling up after the auto shutoff stops the pump?
Yes i usallu only put 20 in so i dont even reach that point

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-30-2016, 11:41 PM   #6
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

So what happens if you performed a "fake" fuel stop? Going through the motions of filling your tank... without the filling part? So Both "cold" (first in the morning or later at night once its cooled down) or "hot". Basically checking to see if the Fuel Cap Seal is a problem to fix...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:36 PM   #7
OneTimeRide
OneTimeRide is on a distinguished road

Replace the Emission Canister Purge Solenoid Valve it costs about $25.00

i had the same problem and this fixed it for me, i hope this helps,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OneTimeRide's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OneTimeRide reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OneTimeRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:40 AM   #8
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave View Post
Basically checking to see if the Fuel Cap Seal is a problem to fix...
Gas cap seal issue is common as the car ages, and your symptoms definitely match. Might just need to replace the cap. 20 bucks or so.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote