SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2016, 09:31 PM   #1
LittleRedSL
LittleRedSL is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1999 SL
Default Saturn trade in - 99 SL to 05 ION - What should I watch out for?

Hello saturn fans!

So, i've owned my current 99 manual SL for about 4 years and haven't had many big problems with it other than an O-ring/sway bar breakage (one of the very few from what i've read on here). Its reaching 200k miles, 75 of which are me, has some clutch slippage, and burns a modest amount of oil (1 qt/3k).

I've decided to upgrade and have found an 05 Ion L 2, manual, with 115k miles for $2k. The dealer owns and works on many saturns and sells about 100/yr (means hes somewhat competent). I (of course) plan on keeping my little red SL, but would like to know what you guys think I should be wary of.

I plan on asking for service records and inspecting the following:
hoses, breaks, fuel filter, tires, sway bars, control arm assemblies, spark plugs.

What say you on alternator, fuel pump, and possibly starter replacement? I would like to do preventative maintenance so as to ensure the engine upholds its saturn reputation!

any and all suggestions welcome,
its great to have such a supportive community that has taught me 90% of my mechanical knowledge and helped me fall in love with an amazing brand

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LittleRedSL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LittleRedSL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LittleRedSL is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2016, 10:25 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Saturn trade in - 99 SL to 05 ION - What should I watch out for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedSL View Post
hoses, breaks, fuel filter
Along with breaks in the hoses, you should look at the brakes.

Good you're getting the stick trans, the auto's ok but only the NORMAL one -not the ferkakta VTi, or continuously variable auto trans.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:34 PM   #3
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
I would like to do preventative maintenance so as to ensure the engine upholds its saturn reputation!

Pull the plugs to have a look- change if gap has grown( vauge memory recall of 0.043" is factory gap- I could be worng...) ..

Make sure the lower radiator hose( driver's side) isn't rubbing on the frame.

Synthetic lube in the trans and engine, along with BOSCH Distance Plus( or other premium) filters.

FWIW, My OCI has been 7000 miles since purchase @ 137,000 miles. I change the filter at 4000, and again with the oil change @7K miles.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:21 PM   #4
kaviation
kaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Hello saturn fans!

So, i've owned my current 99 manual SL for about 4 years and haven't had many big problems with it other than an O-ring/sway bar breakage (one of the very few from what i've read on here). Its reaching 200k miles, 75 of which are me, has some clutch slippage, and burns a modest amount of oil (1 qt/3k).

I've decided to upgrade and have found an 05 Ion L 2, manual, with 115k miles for $2k. The dealer owns and works on many saturns and sells about 100/yr (means hes somewhat competent). I (of course) plan on keeping my little red SL, but would like to know what you guys think I should be wary of.

hoses, breaks, fuel filter, tires, sway bars, control arm assemblies, spark plugs.

What say you on alternator, fuel pump, and possibly starter replacement? I would like to do preventative maintenance so as to ensure the engine upholds its saturn reputation!

its great to have such a supportive community that has taught me 90% of my mechanical knowledge and helped me fall in love with an amazing brand
Like you said...... for hoses, sway bars.

Def. look over suspension well!! Sway bar bushings and control arm bushings, they will squeak in the cold. I have changed both sway bar links 4 times now, but then again mine is lowered, but not anything crazy! Make sure you check fuel lines around the left rear tire, they installed a heat wrap around the lines by the exhaust, and salt/dirt/water tend to get trapped in there and rot em away.

I haven't had to change any major accessory yet, (155K miles) I did have to change my clutch master cylinder, the rod will break from the clutch pedal. Some guys on here have had the clutch pedal break. Make sure of smooth clutch pedal engagement/dis-engagement.

Intermediate steering shaft!! the steering wheel will clunk when turning from left to right (rocking the wheel back and forth) Visually look at the shaft by the driver side lower firewall, you will see if it's old because it will be very rusty and dry. This could also cause a stiff steering issue, and not allow the wheel to return to center. (I have had this happen to me, very scary when not ready for it.) I used to just spray it down with lubricant, but my steering rack went out too, so I just replaced both while I was there. By the way, I do live in the rust belt!!!!

front wheel bearing/hubs are pretty common too.

Recirculation door actuator, make sure you can hear the door open and close when you push the button.

Obviously check if all recalls have been done, especially the ignition switch recall, and electric power steering motor recall.

That should pretty much cover most serious issues I have had or have heard of, good luck and congrats on the Ion. It should serve you well, Mine has since 2003!!

TWM Short Shifter
Progress springs with Cobalt SS suspension
Vibrant cat-back exhaust system!
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

LONG LIVE THE BEECH 1900D

I ENJOY WHAT I DO- I DO WHAT I ENJOY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaviation's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:32 PM   #5
jacek_p
jacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
i had both alternator and starter go out at almost the same time (2 months apart) at about 135-136,000 miles, right after i bought it, so you might be right here.

also check for a startup timing chain noise. if you catch it early and change the tensioner, you can save the engine from self destructing. I's a known issue in this otherwise solid engine.

fixed/replaced so far: side mirror, window trims x4, trunk floor, radiator bushing, alternator, starter, LCA x2, sway bar bushings x2, end links x2, timing chain tensioner, O2 sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jacek_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jacek_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jacek_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #6
LittleRedSL

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1999 SL

Thanks for all the info/advice! I haven't gone to look at the car yet, but will be viewing/test driving a sedan and coupe version over the weekend. Im definitely leaning towards the coupe since they have practically the same amount of interior space. Plus, the fold-down front seat will make up for any lost headroom in toting personals around.

Just a quick update on the sedan, the water pump was out and that was why I did not go to test drive it. The family-owned dealership stated it was unable to be driven due to it spewing all over the place. Suppose i'll have to check the timing belt on that car now?

Will post updates as this story continues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help LittleRedSL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2016, 09:38 AM   #7
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:

Just a quick update on the sedan, the water pump was out and that was why I did not go to test drive it. The family-owned dealership stated it was unable to be driven due to it spewing all over the place. Suppose i'll have to check the timing belt on that car now?
To be clear, the ECOTEC engines have a timing chain, not a belt. With regard to the chain rattle at start up, I've significantly reduced that by adding HY-PER LUBE Oil Supplement at oil changes (available at O'Reilly's and Walmart, others...?) and using higher viscosity oil. (Using such oil may not be an option for you due to Winter season temps, but the supplement will help to reduce the start up noise should you choose to purchase the car and do your own oil changes.) As of this writing, the timing chain and its tensioner haven't yet been replaced. They are the factory originals.

280,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 05-12-2016 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: additional information

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #8
LittleRedSL

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
To be clear, the ECOTEC engines have a timing chain, not a belt... and using higher viscosity oil.
Thank you for the clarification, I've only recently begun to delve into any Saturn that is not an S-series. What viscosity do you recommend? I usually change up the summer and winter oil viscosity for better engine performance. ive got plenty of 5w30 and some x40 around the house currently.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-12-2016, 10:31 AM   #9
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Early Ecotec 2.2s had the oiling and timing chain problem. 04 on, t really hasn't been a factor in the later engines.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #10
jacek_p
jacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation84 View Post
Early Ecotec 2.2s had the oiling and timing chain problem. 04 on, t really hasn't been a factor in the later engines.
that's not entirely correct. they fixed one of the issues in 04 (oilling nozle). the tensioner and guides issues persisted. only relatively recenly they revised the tensioner with a made in germany part.

fixed/replaced so far: side mirror, window trims x4, trunk floor, radiator bushing, alternator, starter, LCA x2, sway bar bushings x2, end links x2, timing chain tensioner, O2 sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jacek_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2016, 04:21 PM   #11
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification, I've only recently begun to delve into any Saturn that is not an S-series. What viscosity do you recommend? I usually change up the summer and winter oil viscosity for better engine performance. ive got plenty of 5w30 and some x40 around the house currently.
The factory recommended 5w-30. Saturn dealerships in SoCal used 10w-30 because our winter temps are not that low. I'd used four quarts of 20w-50 plus the oil supplement for about two and a half years before Walmart dropped 20w-50 from their regular stock. I then switched to 10w-40 and have been using it for at least one year. I've been regularly using higher viscosity oils, including the oil supplement, for at least three and a half years. Originally I was using Lucas brand Oil Supplement with 20w-50 after I'd started using that oil, but switched to HY-PER LUBE about about seven or eight months later. It seems to be a better supplement. (FWIW, I have no financial nor business relationship with the people who make HY-PER LUBE. I generally prefer synthetic blend oils for high mileage cars - Castrol or Valvoline in particular - and have never used a fully synthetic oil. I've always liked WIX oil filters, but have found that Bosch's Distance Plus filter appears to keep the oil cleaner longer.)

I chose to go with a higher viscosity oil based on the recommendation of a radio show host here in L A who had a successful independent auto repair business - occasionally stopping in to see how his son is doing with it - and the suggestion made sense. As the engine is aging there are tiny spaces openning up within it which can be filled with a thicker oil. This, along with using a good oil supplement, helped to restore lost engine compression. It has succeeded for me and I've been pleased with the engine performance. Lastly, I try to maintain a 3K mile oil change interval. Weather in Los Angeles County tends to demand it based upon the factory recommendations in the service schedule.

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #12
Citation84
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacek_p View Post
that's not entirely correct. they fixed one of the issues in 04 (oilling nozle). the tensioner and guides issues persisted. only relatively recenly they revised the tensioner with a made in germany part.
Thanks for the heads up. I definitely would be wary of the 00-04 Ecotec if buying used and would definitely try and find out if the upgraded parts had been installed.

I hadn't read of any problems beyond those caused by the oiler and tensioner, etc. Plus I had read that improved tensioners and guides were replaced in a kit together with the oiler for those affected by the problem.

Just going by what I have read here on SaturnFans. Either way, I won't worry too much as mine is an 05 and know what to watch out for as far as noise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2016, 03:23 PM   #13
Citation84
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
The factory recommended 5w-30. Saturn dealerships in SoCal used 10w-30 because our winter temps are not that low. I'd used four quarts of 20w-50 plus the oil supplement for about two and a half years before Walmart dropped 20w-50 from their regular stock. I then switched to 10w-40 and have been using it for at least one year. I've been regularly using higher viscosity oils, including the oil supplement, for at least three and a half years. Originally I was using Lucas brand Oil Supplement with 20w-50 after I'd started using that oil, but switched to HY-PER LUBE about about seven or eight months later. It seems to be a better supplement. (FWIW, I have no financial nor business relationship with the people who make HY-PER LUBE. I generally prefer synthetic blend oils for high mileage cars - Castrol or Valvoline in particular - and have never used a fully synthetic oil. I've always liked WIX oil filters, but have found that Bosch's Distance Plus filter appears to keep the oil cleaner longer.)

I chose to go with a higher viscosity oil based on the recommendation of a radio show host here in L A who had a successful independent auto repair business - occasionally stopping in to see how his son is doing with it - and the suggestion made sense. As the engine is aging there are tiny spaces openning up within it which can be filled with a thicker oil. This, along with using a good oil supplement, helped to restore lost engine compression. It has succeeded for me and I've been pleased with the engine performance. Lastly, I try to maintain a 3K mile oil change interval. Weather in Los Angeles County tends to demand it based upon the factory recommendations in the service schedule.
Is that Leon Kaplan, Pierrot ? I used to listen to him all the time when I lived in LA.

Great suggestion. I live in AZ now and have 65,000 on THe ONION. Because of the heat and dust it's 3000 mile changes all the way. Haven't had any oil usage due to wear and don't expect any for some miles yet.

Will investigate Hyper-Lube for future reference.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-13-2016, 04:12 PM   #14
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation84 View Post
Is that Leon Kaplan, Pierrot ? I used to listen to him all the time when I lived in LA.
Citation84, you are indeed correct! It is Leon Kaplan with The Motor Man Show. Currently he's on KABC from 8:00 am to 10:00 am on Sunday Mornings.

http://www.kabc.com/motorman/

Last edited by pierrot; 05-13-2016 at 04:18 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2016, 01:26 PM   #15
LittleRedSL

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1999 SL

On my way to Minneapolis to check out a private seller that has rebuilt/maintained at least 9 Saturn ions, with 3 of them having a redline body kit. I'm very interested in seeing these faux redlines!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-16-2016, 10:54 AM   #16
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

Quote:
...faux redlines!
Sacrilege!!! Real Red Line owners despise those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:16 PM   #17
Citation84
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Citation84, you are indeed correct! It is Leon Kaplan with The Motor Man Show. Currently he's on KABC from 8:00 am to 10:00 am on Sunday Mornings.

http://www.kabc.com/motorman/
Think I'll tune in via the inter-nest this Sunday ! Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2016, 06:00 PM   #18
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:

This is why people get bad gas mileage.these engines are designed to run 5w30. You lose compression because your oil rings are wearing out, you have deposits on your valves, or you have mechanical damage to the engine. Thick oil isn't going to fix any of this. Meanwhile the oil pump has to work harder to oil the engine and the oil doesn't pump/ splash as well as the right oil, thus making oiling WORSE.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:52 PM   #19
jacek_p

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
This is why people get bad gas mileage.these engines are designed to run 5w30. You lose compression because your oil rings are wearing out, you have deposits on your valves, or you have mechanical damage to the engine. Thick oil isn't going to fix any of this. Meanwhile the oil pump has to work harder to oil the engine and the oil doesn't pump/ splash as well as the right oil, thus making oiling WORSE.
if the engine is worn out and has borderline oil pressure, going to thicker oil does make oil pressure and oiling BETTER.
Thin oil is great for only 2 things: fuel economy and cold starts.
if one lives in hot climate and doesn't mind worse fuel economy 20W50 is harmless.
It's just common sense, my friend.
now, personally i would stop at 15W-40.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2016, 09:23 PM   #20
LittleRedSL

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver View Post
Sacrilege!!! Real Red Line owners despise those.
Understandable, haha. The owner had two fauxs, two real rls, and a beautiful little sky. I was unable to get the car as my bank gave me the incorrect type of check; however, he agreed to hold the car for me. If anybody in the Minnesota area is interested, he is selling all of the cars for very reasonable prices as he is retired and trying to get some of the money he put into them back. The 05 coupe was in great condition and had all recalls done with brand new bushings/end links.

The one I am purchasing is a non AAS system. How can I tell if it has XM in it (I would like to hook up an aux jack to the stock stereo rather than installing an aftermarket)? It was a double din 6 disc changer but I dont recall if it said "Mp3" on it.

Also, is an antenna adaptor needed for this car? My 99 required one

Last edited by LittleRedSL; 05-17-2016 at 09:34 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!