SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2016, 02:03 PM   #1
Dennyj1992
Dennyj1992 has a spectacular aura aboutDennyj1992 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC2
Default Ion Redline

Hey all, from the S Series section of things around these parts. Not many threads posted on this? Or any other subject for that matter?

I've been considering saving up for a faster car...either the Cobalt SS, or the Ion Redline.

Let me ask this, how do you all get used to the center-mounted dash? Also, how is the Redline to drive?

Things are looking a little dead over here by the way, as far as forums go.

Hoping I can get some seriously good answers out of who is left around here. Is there a specific forum for the Redline???

13' Chevy Spark, 4 speed CVT. Wife's car. 67k.
02' SC2, DOHC, 5 speed M/T. Current DD. 232k.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dennyj1992's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dennyj1992 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dennyj1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2016, 02:51 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Ion Redline

The css tc has a lot more modern features like bluetooth, nls, launch control, tpms, and a better suspension. The center dash is much better than the alternative, imo. You can build a redline to be as fast as you want, up to 350hp or so without too much work, the css tc is good to 375 with just a tune.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:39 PM   #3
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

I got used to the center mounted gauges after about 10 minutes of driving, and after an hour I preferred them. They are still in your view as you look forward, because you are used to viewing the whole road, not just a narrow strip directly in front of you.

The car is great fun to drive. I have the Stage 2 upgrade kit on mine which added 36 HP.

Check out redlineforums.com for a website dedicated to the ION Red Line.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
Dennyj1992

2002 SC2

Will continue looking through the threads over time to see if this is really a car I would be interested in purchasing to mod, and make faster over it's lifespan. Thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Dennyj1992 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2016, 02:34 PM   #5
Dennyj1992

2002 SC2

Haha, crazy question, but anyone willing to write me a book (long post) on the Redline itself?

What's so unreliable about the 2004?

What's a Stage 2? Is there a stage 3?

Is is true that these cars are underrated in crank HP?

What should I be paying for one?

Can someone just hit all the basics, and the more "in detail" side of things.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-08-2016, 10:19 AM   #6
daver

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

I'll give you a little bit to start with:

The Stage 2 kit provides bigger fuel injectors and a slightly smaller pulley for the supercharger (it also comes with a new belt to allow for the pulley's size change.) The Stage 2 kits were fairly commonly found as an upgrade.

There is a Stage 3 kit, but it was really not intended for street use, and you will lose your A/C if you install it

Yes, the cars were underrated in regards to WHP.

Not sure that the 04s were actually unreliable, but Saturn made some upgrades on all IONs in 2005, including "quiet steel" for a quieter ride.

On a side note, 2004 - 2006 Red Lines come with Recaro front seats. These were not available on the 2007s, as regulations that year called for an air bag sensor in the passenger seat, which Recaro did not provide.

Again, I have one, but I'm not the definitive source, so you should ask around on redlineforums.com to get a broader range of information, including pricing info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2016, 10:13 PM   #7
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

04 coupes with automatic transmissions are unreliable. Redlines are always reliable. Afaik, the only things to change in the Redlines are:

2005: new firewall and windshields for quieter ride, and new interior for increased leg room.

2006: new radio

2007: leather seats from non Redlines for passenger airbag sensor.

Moving to the cobalt ss tc you get bluetooth (new radio), new suspension to better handle the power, no lift shift, launch control, toe pressure monitoring system, advanced drivers information center, and possibly more.

The lsj never changed, it's a fairly simple engine, and is good for relatively reliable power up to around 350hp, afaik. To get this power requires option b, dual pass end plate, injectors, a tvs supercharger I believe, a pulley, and a tune. This may not be a complete list. The suspension from the cobalt can be added to a redline.

The css tc has a high tech engine with direct injection, a well engineered in block turbo system with vvt and a second generation engine block. Trifecta, when they were around, we're able to get 375hp out of these engines. A competent person with hp tuners should e able to achieve similar numbers. This is achievable with just a tune, so the potential with an intake, exhaust, ect... it's impressive. Being a turbo, an aftermarket adjustable blowoff valve might improve boost response between shifts, bit no lift shift might make this unnecessary, idk.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:10 PM   #8
Finkle
Finkle is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

I just picked up a redline in Jan. It was in rough shape when I got it. Little by little, It's getting back to good.

Couple things about the Redline:

I actually like the center dash. It looks a little odd, but its nice not to have the wheel block the gauges. Plus it leaves the area in front of the wheel open for more gauges! The whole dash is really a blank slate when it come to adding gauges, HUD, backup cam, etc. There's a lot of flat space up there.

The intercooler pumps go out quite commonly. Its an electric pump that circulates coolant through the intake manifold to cool the charged air. Some Redlines came with the pump wired backwards from the factory. This decreased pump life and performance. They do seem to be faster than the listed HP. Mine is stock besides I/H/E and its really fast! My last car was around the same weight with 20HP more, but the redline is considerably faster. From what I read, drivetrain loss seems to be quite low, around 8%.

Check out the LCAs. They like to go bad on all Ions. Mine were bad when I got mine. The large rear bushing goes bad. I pressed in poly bushings in.

Like the S series, it uses a double din spot for the stereo, with 4 6 1/2" speakers. The upper level sound system is called AAS (advanced audio system). AAS adds door mounted tweeters and a seperate amp in the trunk. My car has AAS, I was able to easily put an aftermarket system in. Note, the AAS speakers are 2ohm. I used 4ohm standard ones and it sounds fine, just a little quieter. To use the AAS amp, I had to run a line level converter to knock the signal down for the AAS amp. It uses the speakers wires on the wiring harness for audio inputs.

I got mine with some front body damage. The redline parts are hard to find. The doors, hood, trunk and front and rear fenders are shared with the standard Ion. Bumpers and side skirts are different. I had to use a normal Ion front bumper on my redline as I couldn't find a redline one. It fits just fine with no mods required. I kind of like it, the fake side vents are a little ricey. The rear redline bumper looks good IMHO.

Mods of any kind seem to make a big difference, more so than other cars I've owned. I put a full exhaust on a toyota a few years back (header back), and could barely tell the difference. I welded up a very quiet exhaust for the redline and could tell a big difference. Being a supercharged car, it opens of different areas of mods that NA cars don't have, making the potential for more power. For example, cooling mods, adding option B, another heat exchanger and dual pass can post some decent gains without touching the rest of the engine. These mods are required as supporting mods for many other mods to be effective.

I paid $1900 for mine with 146k miles. It had a cracked front bumper and side skirt, dead IC pump, vacuum leak loud exhaust, too dark of tint, and a bad thermostat. For less than $500, I fixed all of those issues. I had to get the redline for the kids. Having 2 suicide doors is really a nice feature I wish more care would have. Plus redlines can be found cheaper than the Cobalt SS even though they are mostly the same. The Cobalt uses the better FE5 suspension, but that is a direct swap into the redline.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Finkle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Finkle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:32 PM   #9
Dennyj1992

2002 SC2

All information here has been excellent!

Please all, I beg of you, lmao. Post more!

This kind of info is what I'm after before I go into purchasing a so called "sports coupe." I just want to make sure I know what I'm buying up front.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2016, 10:27 AM   #10
Dennyj1992

2002 SC2

Any more info all?

Seen a beautiful Cobalt SS (LSJ) at the car meet this weekend. Starting to learn a bit more about them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2016, 09:52 AM   #11
daver

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

BTW, all Red Lines are 5-speed manuals.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!