SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2016, 06:24 AM   #1
Garrick
Garrick is on a distinguished road

Default Brake wobble question

I just bought the vehicle so I don't know what it's history is. The pedal has hadsa wobble when I brake, and yesterday i took it for a drive and was a little heavy on the brakes. When i got home both front brakes were smoking. When I took them apart I noticed the rh side pads and rotor looked good. The lh back side of the rotor is scratched all to hell and the back pad is worn bad. I'm hoping the rotor is salvageable, and I will need new pads, but what would you expect the culprit to be? Warped rotor? bad pads? bad caliper/calipers?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Garrick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Garrick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2016, 06:50 AM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Brake wobble question

POssibles: Jammed up brake pistons in one or more ( possibly rusty)bores due to SAlt Belt issues? lack of maintenance of bushing pins, occluded flex lines keeping one or more calipers tight...

Just pads and rotors wont cut it.

REbuild the calipers.

Shoes in rears, right? They need to be worked over too, so they are taking on their fair share of braking and not overloading the fronts.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:56 AM   #3
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

These cars do have a history of warped rotors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:46 AM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

^Is this problem related to factory OE brake rotors only or is it common regardless of the rotors' brand? BTW does anyone know which car is being discussed here? The OP did not identify it.

Garrick, adding your location and vehicle details into your profile would be helpful for other members who wish to provide advice so that they're not guessing or assuming things.

280,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 08-10-2016 at 11:59 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ Where is this history of warped rotors and if they're true why wasn't Saturn/GM aware of it and issued a service bulletin? Even after Saturn folded, Ions were involved in the infamous ignition switch recall campaign but nothing about warped rotors or faulty brakes. Misinformation being passed on develops into hearsay or becomes another old wives tale without merit.

Warped brakes are almost always caused by anyone unfamiliar with brake systems including fear of brake fluid replacement so brake service is never fully complete by those assuming they know everything. I'm no expert on brake systems but well aware of brake systems and the over indulgences of many assuming a new set of rotors and pads fixes everything. Avoiding corrosion sets up possible rotor run-out, never cleaning and regreasing caliper slider pins, checking for caliper seal damage, inspecting brake hoses, and periodically replacing brake fluid are some of the things ignored. When ignoring details to brake service ultimately leads to poor braking and warping issues. Unless a person is familiar with run-out tolerances and understands why dial indicators are used to measure run-out, why corrosion contributes to run-out between rotor and wheel hub, corrosion on the inside rim contributing to less than perfect wheel fit to hubs, no one figures out why warping occurs when it's blamed on rotors. Even torquing wheel nuts or bolts incorrectly contributes to artificial rotor warp. There's more to why a brake pulsates than supposedly warped rotors...........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #6
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I love how all of a sudden ions are "known" to 1 have a certain problem just because one person has that problem. My TURNED (brand new off the lot they were rusted enough to cause pedal pulse) rotors and original pads lasted 60k without pulsing. Then my car sat for months (didn't want to chance it with how much I was driving at the time) waiting for the recall, and the caliper rusted and froze, taking out the front brakes, the rear's springs broke taking out the rear pads. I live in the salt belt, where cars don't take to sitting. Anyway, any car can have pulsing brakes for a number of reasons, a popular reason is stopping hard then holding brakes on at a stop light. But this car is no more prone to failure than any other car

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:46 AM   #7
deca5423
deca5423 will become famous soon enoughdeca5423 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

It could be one of three things I have experienced, though never on my Ion but it still applies. Could be caliper slides sticking, bad caliper piston or restricted rubber brake line. If the rotor is as bad as you say I wouldn't recommend re-using it.

I'm on my second Ion (2006) and a family member still drives my 2004 and they are no different than any other car in the brake department in my experience. Like fdryer said warping rotors can happen for a number of reasons and I have always found it to happen due to excessive heat on the rotor from excessive hard braking or part failure locking up the caliper.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to deca5423's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help deca5423 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
deca5423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:45 AM   #8
daver

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

You can start by looking here:
http://www.truedelta.com/Saturn-ION/brake-problems-245
http://omaha.legalexaminer.com/autom...-of-accidents/

...and this quote:

"Rotors are the first place to cut inspiring weight, this means they're thin, and warp easily. They're built to last one set of pads, no more. This is the same with most cars nowadays."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-12-2016, 11:39 AM   #9
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver View Post
...and this quote:

"Rotors are the first place to cut inspiring weight, this means they're thin, and warp easily. They're built to last one set of pads, no more. This is the same with most cars nowadays."
Who is this quote attributed to? I'd like to know since I can't seem to find it in the links provided. (I'm not disagreeing with it nor thinking it untrue, it's just about identifying the source.)

My first front brake job was performed at a Saturn dealership about ten or eleven years ago. I was shocked when they told me the rotors were bad. I asked for them to saved for my own examination. Sure enough, the were below spec. and had to be replaced. Upon further inquiry, the service writer told me that Saturn intentionally used a softer metal in their rotors to prevent brake squeeling. So when the second front brake job came along I did it myself and bought aftermarket rotors. To the best of my knowledge I'm still using that set.

280,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:21 PM   #10
daver

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
Who is this quote attributed to? I'd like to know since I can't seem to find it in the links provided. (I'm not disagreeing with it nor thinking it untrue, it's just about identifying the source.)

That would be 2006_ion2. You can search threads about warped rotors in the ION forum and find it.

And on that note, I think it's time for me to bid farewell to Saturnfans. It's been great interacting with everyone for the last decade plus, but we now have 2 or 3 members who obviously know everything there is to know about everything, to the exclusion of anyone else who may have another thought, and, frankly, that makes it not so much fun anymore.

Bye, all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!