SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2016, 10:04 AM   #21
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Saturn trade in - 99 SL to 05 ION - What should I watch out for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
Along with breaks in the hoses, you should look at the brakes.

Good you're getting the stick trans, the auto's ok but only the NORMAL one -not the ferkakta VTi, or continuously variable auto trans.
How can you tell if it's the normal one?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2 Ride's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2016, 01:37 PM   #22
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL2 Ride View Post
How can you tell if it's the normal one?
It still works.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:13 AM   #23
LittleRedSL
LittleRedSL is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1999 SL

walked (drove) away with an 05. Runs great, sounds great, only problem is some intermittent popping when turning the wheel (not driving, only at SLOW speeds) and possibly a tire balance issue with the front right wheel as the alignment goes out a little bit at speeds above 55. I looked at the CV boots and all were in good condition. Possibly a tie-rods issue regarding the popping/clicking?

Overall, extremely happy with the purchase thus far. Will get pictures of the car uploaded. Any recommendations for an underside rust preventive compound? Id like to get the rust off and get a head start on any further rust from the upcoming winters.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LittleRedSL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LittleRedSL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LittleRedSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:09 PM   #24
kaviation
kaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedSL View Post
walked (drove) away with an 05. Runs great, sounds great, only problem is some intermittent popping when turning the wheel (not driving, only at SLOW speeds) and possibly a tire balance issue with the front right wheel as the alignment goes out a little bit at speeds above 55. I looked at the CV boots and all were in good condition. Possibly a tie-rods issue regarding the popping/clicking?

Overall, extremely happy with the purchase thus far. Will get pictures of the car uploaded. Any recommendations for an underside rust preventive compound? Id like to get the rust off and get a head start on any further rust from the upcoming winters.
That popping noise may be the pinion bearing being wiped out on the steering rack. Thats what mine was doing, but not all the time. Did you look at the intermediate steering shaft like I told you? is it rusty? Does the steering wheel clunk also going left to right slightly? If you keep hearing/feeling a popping when turning the steering wheel, then most likely it is your steering rack pinion bearing.

How many miles?

TWM Short Shifter
Progress springs with Cobalt SS suspension
Vibrant cat-back exhaust system!
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

LONG LIVE THE BEECH 1900D

I ENJOY WHAT I DO- I DO WHAT I ENJOY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaviation's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:09 PM   #25
LittleRedSL

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviation View Post
That popping noise may be the pinion bearing being wiped out on the steering rack. Thats what mine was doing, but not all the time. Did you look at the intermediate steering shaft like I told you? is it rusty? Does the steering wheel clunk also going left to right slightly? If you keep hearing/feeling a popping when turning the steering wheel, then most likely it is your steering rack pinion bearing.

How many miles?
120k miles, I looked over the ISS and it looked to be in good condition. Some slight rust (more like red dirt then actual rust) on the joint, which indicates a need to be changed soon, right? I will try to lube it up as best as I can and see if that solves the clunking, effectively telling me if it is the ISS or not. I didnt think it was a tie rod issue but I just wanted to make sure as I have never had to deal with bad tie rods. My first thought was the steering column. It only happens when turning the wheel to the left, so far as I know it has not occurred when turning the wheel to the right.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help LittleRedSL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-30-2016, 11:14 AM   #26
jacek_p
jacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
120k miles, I looked over the ISS and it looked to be in good condition. Some slight rust (more like red dirt then actual rust) on the joint, which indicates a need to be changed soon, right? I will try to lube it up as best as I can and see if that solves the clunking, effectively telling me if it is the ISS or not. I didnt think it was a tie rod issue but I just wanted to make sure as I have never had to deal with bad tie rods. My first thought was the steering column. It only happens when turning the wheel to the left, so far as I know it has not occurred when turning the wheel to the right.
same in mine when i purchased with 135,000 miles. now over 143,000 and didn't get much worse. i'm pretty sure it's the steering rack, although some people claimed here it has to be an inner tie rod. last time i checked the steering rack was on backorder at RockAuto.

fixed/replaced so far: side mirror, window trims x4, trunk floor, radiator bushing, alternator, starter, LCA x2, sway bar bushings x2, end links x2, timing chain tensioner, O2 sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jacek_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jacek_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jacek_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:36 AM   #27
kaviation
kaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacek_p View Post
same in mine when i purchased with 135,000 miles. now over 143,000 and didn't get much worse. i'm pretty sure it's the steering rack, although some people claimed here it has to be an inner tie rod. last time i checked the steering rack was on backorder at RockAuto.
At that point in mileage, you may as well replace the rack even if it is the inner tie rod.

Both of my front wheels showed play, but further T/S showed that it was the play in my Int. St. shaft. Once I replaced that, no more play. Plus my rack bearing was popping pretty violently!

TWM Short Shifter
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-31-2016, 09:38 AM   #28
LittleRedSL

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviation View Post
At that point in mileage, you may as well replace the rack even if it is the inner tie rod.

Both of my front wheels showed play, but further T/S showed that it was the play in my Int. St. shaft. Once I replaced that, no more play. Plus my rack bearing was popping pretty violently!
Could the ISS cause the slight alignment issue at speeds greater than 65mph that I am experiencing? What about the steering rack?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-31-2016, 10:03 PM   #29
kaviation

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Could the ISS cause the slight alignment issue at speeds greater than 65mph that I am experiencing? What about the steering rack?
Yes, indeed! If everything is not "tightly" connected to the steering wheel, then any play in that system will be evident in the alignment as you may have to keep correcting for slight pull or drift. Not to say you can't also have an alignment issue as well which could magnify the issue.

Again, if the universal is worn, you will feel the play in the steering wheel. With the car off, quickly(you may have to try different speeds) turn the wheel left to right (back and forth) in real short bursts. There should be very little play if any. If its worn, you will feel or (hear clunking) the steering wheel feels "loose" in the middle of its action until it engages the worn universal. I personally had a good 1 inch of play in my wheel (combined back and forth motion) before it would start turning the front wheels!

I hope that explains it good enough, again, you may have an alignment issue as well. How is the tire wear, even, uneven? Make sure the tires have the proper inflation too.

TWM Short Shifter
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2016, 04:16 PM   #30
LittleRedSL

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1999 SL

Hey all,

Sorry for taking forever to respond, I've had quite a run for my money with work and some car issues, lol. So heres an update on what has happened in the meantime:

1 nail found in my front right tire.
Hit in a parking lot while I was parked.
driver side applique flew off the car while driving on an interstate.
Passenger window rolls up crooked.

Anyway, I just got my car back from the body shop and I cant tell that it was painted. They did a wonderful job blending the new black onto the old. I patched my tire but still believe I have a tire balancing issue. The slight popping has turned into a creaking noise and I have not had a chance to properly tear apart the car as it has been in the shop and Ive been attempting to move apartments in-between 60 hour workweeks and travelling on the weekends! I will get around to fixing these issues and tearing my car apart over the next month and will post updates on my discoveries.

Overall, I am happy to be out of my little SL and into the ION. Its convenient that my ION got out of the shop yesterday as the belt tensioner on my SL broke during my lunch break. The ride is smooth and quiet and I love the design. So far, mechanically, the car has been great and I haven't been able to find much wrong with it. I must admit that the direct injection confused me at first as I thought I had a noisy valve or lifter. Just a loud injector though

REWARD EXCELLENCE!