SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2017, 05:50 PM   #1
Mobster
Mobster is on a distinguished road

Default 02 saturn sl1 cruise setup with tech 2

Have tech 2 and trying to find path to turn on. any help would be greatly helpful. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mobster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mobster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mobster is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2017, 06:10 PM   #2
SRGW
Advanced Member
SRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of light

1995 SL1
1997 SL1
Post Re: 02 saturn sl1 cruise setup with tech 2

Anyone wanting to add cruise to a OBDII Saturn and finding that after you install the servo and switch, all you get is the green "ON" light, any shop with a GM Tech-II should be able to enable the cruise for you. This is NOT a PCM reflash and all that is required it the standard Tech-II OBD connector (not the PC-Tech pass through). All they need to do is to access the reprogramming >Powertrain >Special functions > Engine output controls screen and key in the correct options to turn it on. Found this in another thread don't know if it is correct.

1995 SL1 228,100 Well Oiled!!
1997 SL1 58,350 Just A Teenager!!
CHECK YOUR OIL!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SRGW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SRGW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SRGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:33 PM   #3
Mobster
Mobster is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 02 saturn sl1 cruise setup with tech 2

Thanks, for the response, friend is shop foreman for large dealer brought one home for the weekend for use to program. We kept getting wrong periameters connector at bottom of scan tool was bad too and kept disconnecting. Thanks for the reply let us know we were doing it right I think. will look more into it now. thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mobster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mobster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:53 PM   #4
Jim@HiTek
Jim@HiTek is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster View Post
Have tech 2 and trying to find path to turn on. any help would be greatly helpful. Thanks
Quick question for you. Are you repairing an existing cruise control (CC) setup, or did you add it to a car that didn't have it previously? Was the wiring already there?

I'm asking because I have both the CC steering wheel and that electrical device to activate the throttle, but can't see anywhere the throttle position device should be mounted. And can't find any bundles of unconnected wires out where I suspect it should be. I'm not keen to remove the airbag steering wheel in there now just to check for a connector, either.

Thanks for any insight.

2001 Saturn SL1 SOHC
1.9L, Basic Transport

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim@HiTek's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim@HiTek reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim@HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:17 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim@HiTek View Post
I'm asking because I have both the CC steering wheel and that electrical device to activate the throttle, but can't see anywhere the throttle position device should be mounted. And can't find any bundles of unconnected wires out where I suspect it should be. I'm not keen to remove the airbag steering wheel in there now just to check for a connector, either.

Thanks for any insight.
Do you mean that you can't find either the mounting point or electrical connectors for the black cruise module? richpin's video shows the mounting location, pretty sure 3rd and 2nd gen is the same but not positve

The electrical connector is probably taped up and tucked away - see posts 23 and 25 here (but ignore the airbag discussion as your 3rd gen is different)
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho....php?p=2237400

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:17 PM   #6
Jim@HiTek

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Do you mean that you can't find either the mounting point or electrical connectors for the black cruise module? richpin's video shows the mounting location, pretty sure 3rd and 2nd gen is the same but not positve

The electrical connector is probably taped up and tucked away - see posts 23 and 25 here (but ignore the airbag discussion as your 3rd gen is different)
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho....php?p=2237400
It's been awhile, don't recall finding a video back when I got the parts, I'll have to check again.

I haven't worked on it in months so now that I'm stopped for a couple weeks I'll have another look, but the last time I couldn't find a mounting point for the cruise module. Began to wonder if the wiring was already in place, like I'd been lead to believe, because I couldn't find any unused connectors in the engine compartment. Haven't checked the wiring harness in the drivers area yet.

2001 Saturn SL1 SOHC
1.9L, Basic Transport

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jim@HiTek reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2017, 07:48 AM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
It's been awhile, don't recall finding a video back when I got the parts, I'll have to check again.
He has two; one is detail for attaching to the gas pedal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEUgba5xxnA

(If I hadn't seen this video, I may not have even ever tried adding cruise to my car - I watched it mostly out of curiosity, then realized how easy it was - had always thought it was outside of my mechanical ability)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-mpGDjmMLk

Quote:
I'll have another look, but the last time I couldn't find a mounting point for the cruise module. Began to wonder if the wiring was already in place, like I'd been lead to believe, because I couldn't find any unused connectors in the engine compartment. Haven't checked the wiring harness in the drivers area yet.
When adding OEM cruise, nothing is added under the hood. It all happens under the driver side at the gas pedal, plus connecting under the airbag (sorry, you'll have to deal with the airbag eventually ).

You might be better off ahead either scouting out a junkyard or putting out a request (with the relevant options your current car has) for a PCM with cruise enabled. I checked the price list for my local pick n pull this morning - they charge $30 for a ECM/PCM.

I never seem to have the time, but was considering pulling complete "cruise kits" - PCM, module, and steering wheel/switch pod - and selling them on ebay (discounting for established saturnfans members, of course )

It would still be less than paying a dealer to turn the cruise switch on - and over the years, too many S-series have been sent to the crusher with good cruise parts

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2017, 07:58 AM   #8
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
When adding OEM cruise, nothing is added under the hood. It all happens under the driver side at the gas pedal, plus connecting under the airbag (sorry, you'll have to deal with the airbag eventually ).
In Jim@HiTek's case he has to replace the steering wheel with one that has the CC buttons. This still means that he has to remove the airbag though.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (417,500 km @ 05/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (260,870 km @ 05/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (111,176 km @ 05/2018)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:37 AM   #9
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

^ ^ ^ good point. Third gens have them on the wheel which makes it a pain. 2nd gen is easier to work on.

Removing airbag on 3rd gen, post 10
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...979#post868979

I'm going to pull a 3rd gen wheel if I remember, on my next trip. I want to disassemble it and see if it is possible to change the color of the LED

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #10
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
^ ^ ^ good point. Third gens have them on the wheel which makes it a pain. 2nd gen is easier to work on.

Removing airbag on 3rd gen, post 10
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...979#post868979

I'm going to pull a 3rd gen wheel if I remember, on my next trip. I want to disassemble it and see if it is possible to change the color of the LED
I'm pretty sure that you can gently pry out the cc switches without removing the steering wheel or airbag. Once they are out you can unplug, disassemble and modify. Here's a photo of what they look like removed. The wiring harness photo is actually a Vue but I understand they use the same switches along with the L Series.

I've done it with my Suburban steering wheel switches and they just unplug to remove them. They are quite a pain to put back in though as they don't give you much wire to work with to get them plugged back in.

Current rides

Last edited by trottida; 04-24-2017 at 10:49 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2017, 12:01 PM   #11
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Neat, thanks! I figured it was probably a pry-out type of deal but didn't want to try it on the steering wheel on the car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2017, 12:25 PM   #12
Jim@HiTek

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
I'm pretty sure that you can gently pry out the cc switches without removing the steering wheel or airbag. Once they are out you can unplug, disassemble and modify. Here's a photo of what they look like removed. The wiring harness photo is actually a Vue but I understand they use the same switches along with the L Series.

<Snip>

I've done it with my Suburban steering wheel switches and they just unplug to remove them. They are quite a pain to put back in though as they don't give you much wire to work with to get them plugged back in.
How do I know if I'd need to disassemble and modify?

I bought the CC type steering wheel and throttle box and only know it is suppose to work with my SL1. Have no idea what model it came out of or what year it is.

2001 Saturn SL1 SOHC
1.9L, Basic Transport

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #13
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
How do I know if I'd need to disassemble and modify?

I bought the CC type steering wheel and throttle box and only know it is suppose to work with my SL1. Have no idea what model it came out of or what year it is.
No, you're all good.

You just need to remove the existing steering wheel without the controls and replace with one that has the controls. The wire harness connector for the switches will be there under the airbag.

The control module mounts under the dash just above your gas pedal and there will be a connector taped up within the wire harness that you plug in. Look for an unused connector in the wire bundle above the gas pedal along side of the steering column.

The steering wheel and control module are the same for all models of S Series of the same generation. In your case you need to make sure the steering wheel is from a 2000-2002 where the controls are on the steering wheel spokes like the photo below.

Current rides

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2017, 01:29 PM   #14
Jim@HiTek

2001 SL1

I think I'm good then, based on what you've been saying, Trottida. And thanks.

Here's the one I bought...

And my old setup, but not for long...

And here's a quick shot of the gas pedal area:

The actuator came with 3 bolts so I'm good there, just need to find the right holes,

2001 Saturn SL1 SOHC
1.9L, Basic Transport

Last edited by Jim@HiTek; 04-24-2017 at 01:36 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #15
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Yep, nice perforated leather 3rd gen steering wheel! That would have come from an SC2 or a 10th Anniversary Edition SL2.

Here is the slot where the CC Module triangular connector slides into with a click.

The CC module attaches to this vertical support a bit higher that what is in the photo

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ___Capture.JPG (93.6 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg __1Capture.JPG (95.0 KB, 52 views)

Current rides

Last edited by trottida; 04-24-2017 at 01:59 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2017, 01:58 PM   #16
Jim@HiTek

2001 SL1

Oh, great! Thanks for that info. I would have been trying to hook that sliding adjustment cube onto something. It's a freeplay adjustment of some sort. And I played with it and moved it before I knew what it was for, now don't remember where is was originally.

Any advice as to where to set that adjustment cube when I install? Fully towards the actuator, fully to the end of the pull cable or in the middle?

The adjustment cube is on the left in the photo...

2001 Saturn SL1 SOHC
1.9L, Basic Transport

Last edited by Jim@HiTek; 04-24-2017 at 02:03 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #17
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Oh, great! Thanks for that info. I would have been trying to hook that sliding adjustment cube onto something. It's a freeplay adjustment of some sort. And I played with it and moved it before I knew what it was for, now don't remember where is was originally.

Any advice as to where to set that adjustment cube when I install? Fully towards the actuator, fully to the end of the pull cable or in the middle?
I added a second photo in my previous post.

I'm not sure what you're referring to in regards to adjustment. As I recall you bolt the cc module (squarish box) to its mount and then insert the triangular piece into the slot on on the gas pedal. I don't recall having to adjust anything.

The module pulls up on the gas pedal when accelerating and releases when decelerating or turned off.

Current rides

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2017, 02:07 PM   #18
Jim@HiTek

2001 SL1

I also added a photo to my last post...I use Photobucket for cloud based photos and they now require that you click 25 times or so for any simple operation. Beginning to think it's time to dump them. I do an ad block so I don't see any ads, but all those clicks to separate pages costs time.

I did see your added photo. Thanks for that.

That adjustment cube is a limit of some sort. Minimum speed setting? So you can adjust between 33-37 MPH? I don't know.

You have already saved me a bunch of exploration time. Can't thank you enough...

OH, I get what it's for. It's just an adjustment for the end travel of the triangular actuator. So it's not stressed by being too tight when it's installed.

2001 Saturn SL1 SOHC
1.9L, Basic Transport

Last edited by Jim@HiTek; 04-24-2017 at 02:13 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2017, 02:19 PM   #19
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
I also added a photo to my last post...I use Photobucket for cloud based photos and they now require that you click 25 times or so for any simple operation. Beginning to think it's time to dump them. I do an ad block so I don't see any ads, but all those clicks to separate pages costs time.

I did see your added photo. Thanks for that.

That adjustment cube is a limit of some sort. Minimum speed setting? So you can adjust between 33-37 MPH? I don't know.

You have already saved me a bunch of exploration time. Can't thank you enough...

OH, I get what it's for. It's just an adjustment for the end travel of the triangular actuator. So it's not stressed by being too tight when it's installed.
I don't think you should have done anything with that piece; I didn't. If you moved it then I would install it as is and see what happens. If it doesn't seem right once your cruise is enabled then my best guess would be to make sure that it is tight against the connector when cruise is at rest. There should be no tension on the gas pedal at all. If it is loose I would expect a possible delay in cruise taking over the speed control.

I think that is what you figured as well.

Current rides

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-27-2018, 11:56 PM   #20
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Sorry to revive an old thread but a correction on the first post. Itís not under special functions on the tech2. Spent a lot of time looking for it. At the bottom of the powertrain menu is options for tire size. Under that you also set cruise, evo, abs, ac and abs.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is online now   Reply With Quote