SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2017, 12:14 PM   #1
flyhop
Advanced Member
flyhop is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2000 SL2
Default Ever pulled all carpeting out for cleaning?

How huge or ridiculous of a job could this be? Looking for comments from someone who has done this before.

Water leak from rotted out sunroof drain grommets filled interior of SL2 with about 1/2" of water. Despite best efforts to rid of dampness (shop vac several times, kitty litter, etc.), I'm starting to see signs of mildew. Carpeting inside is still damp to touch.

Idea I just had was to pull out front seats and remove carpeting for a full cleaning. Would also allow me to replace the padding and get any residual moisture out of car once and for all.

Thoughts? Time involved? Techniques?

TIA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flyhop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flyhop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2017, 12:35 PM   #2
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2
Default Re: Ever pulled all carpeting out for cleaning?

Last year I replaced the carpet in my sons 2002 SL2 as the carpet had worn down over the rear "transmission tunnel" area (I know they don't have a tunnel but it's the part in the middle in the rear).

I had found a carpet in pretty good condition at the JY, so I got it. It had a few stains on, but was in far better condition than the one in the car.

With the JY carpet I vacuumed it to get the bits off it then hosed it down with water to get it nice and wet. I then sprayed it liberally with carpet shampoo and basically got down on my hands and knees and hand scrubbed it. After doing that I flipped it on top of my large wheelie bin garbage container and hosed it with clean water and allowed it to dry out completely.

When it was time for the swap, I removed BOTH front seats (they are held by Torx bolts) and the back seat bottom cushion. There are several pieces of plastic trim that you will need to lift or remove, including the door trim at the base, the front footwell pieces, the fuse box trim covers, and loosen the console including the bin. Also the vertical trim pieces where the seatbelts are attached.

Once I had done that it was just a of maneuvering the carpet in to place and then zipping everything back up. If it took me 2 hours, that was a long time.

Some may say just clean in situ, but for me that wasn't the case.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:15 PM   #3
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

Sounds like a tedious job but doable if you really want to. In this case, your car will probably smell like butt forever unless you do it.

Theres a 2nd gen sl2 around here that im considering buying and holding on to until i can replace the motor. Unfortunately, i have seen the rear window down. Looks like i may be in for dealing with the same issue if i buy it and fix it.

1999 Saturn SL1-129k at purchase(may 2016)-139k when wrecked(September 2016)

1999 Saturn SC1(This car is cursed)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-170k currently (jun 2017)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #4
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhop View Post
How huge or ridiculous of a job could this be? Looking for comments from someone who has done this before.

Water leak from rotted out sunroof drain grommets filled interior of SL2 with about 1/2" of water. Despite best efforts to rid of dampness (shop vac several times, kitty litter, etc.), I'm starting to see signs of mildew. Carpeting inside is still damp to touch.

Idea I just had was to pull out front seats and remove carpeting for a full cleaning. Would also allow me to replace the padding and get any residual moisture out of car once and for all.

Thoughts? Time involved? Techniques?

TIA.
Have done this before. I agree with FloridasL22002. It's a major job, but the best way to clean heavily soiled carpet.

Take the seats/console out and the trim that covers the carpet. Lay it on a hard flat surface and go work with Dawn Dish Soap and Wisk. A fairly stiff hand brush really works well here. Let it sit 5-10 minutes and rinse several times. When rinsing, try and hang the carpet up in a vertical position to aid in getting a through rinse (Hang it over a fence or a tall step ladder)

Let it dry completely in the sun. You will be rewarded with a clean fresh smelling carpet.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #5
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

Not a huge or ridiculous job. Tedious and sometimes cramped maybe. Mom's Ciera was the last one- heater core leaked. What a mess.

I've done it for several cars. For the Saturn, yah, take out the front seats. There might be electrical connections under the seat(s).

I agree- you will never get rid of the smell unless you clean it and allow to dry. In the sun preferably.

Our neighbor is fighting a water problem in their Civic. But daughter takes it to college so it's never home long enough to fix properly

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #6
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb6667 View Post
Have done this before. I agree with FloridasL22002. It's a major job, but the best way to clean heavily soiled carpet.

Take the seats/console out and the trim that covers the carpet. Lay it on a hard flat surface and go work with Dawn Dish Soap and Wisk. A fairly stiff hand brush really works well here. Let it sit 5-10 minutes and rinse several times. When rinsing, try and hang the carpet up in a vertical position to aid in getting a through rinse (Hang it over a fence or a tall step ladder)

Let it dry completely in the sun. You will be rewarded with a clean fresh smelling carpet.
A leaf blower works well to "squeegee" the water out before you let it dry in the sun.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (410,500 km @ 11/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (251,500 km @ 11/2017)
2011 Suburban LT (101,450 km @ 11/2017)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:18 PM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonasan308 View Post
Sounds like a tedious job but doable if you really want to.
Good way of describing it. I spent a lot of time leaning down or on my knees for the revers torx bolts for the seats.

There's just one electrical connector, under the driver seat, for the seatbelt nag light. I'm pretty sure the passenger side never got one.

Good tip on the leaf blower. I've used one to dry off my car after washing, but never a carpet.

I'll be doing this to get the smoke smell and dog hair out of my carpet.

If you don't have a pressure washer and want to use one, OldNuc has mentioned car wash and a hand full of quarters (and a big plastic tub for transport)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:37 PM   #8
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

It's not really a major job like dropping a tranny, it's just a fiddly job, because being a molded shape carpet, it is held in place by the outer edges being tucked up under and behind the various pieces of side trim and the console. Apart from the console which is held in by screws all the other trims are plastic fasteners or hidden spring fasteners. Take your time with them, don;t go at it like a bull in a china shop. I use a nylon detail tool I bought as a set from Harbor Freight for like $4.00.

I'm in Florida so always have sun (right now we are in mid 90's) so when you wash a carpet and flop it over something like a step ladder fence or in my case the big plastic garbage bins with wheels on, it dries out in next to no time. After it was dry and before I installed it I gave it a nice good spray with Febreze.

If your carpet is crapped out, online you can buy new for about $100.00+/-. The one I got from the JY cost me $15.00.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:01 PM   #9
raymondNL
raymondNL is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

to be honest, i have done the same thing last month with my 1999sc2. Its not so big job . A view years ago i had a 1993 Geo Storm and did also the same thing most of the panels are just clicket, and the seatbelts are with Torx 45 socket the chairs are also with Torx, but you can use an 8mm socket also

just take a view days for it. What i did , i removed al the interior panels a washed them in my badtub, and the carpet i cleaned just at the carwash with some washing powder ( for clothes) and a high pressure cleaner at the carwash, after that just let it dry for a view days (depends on the weather ofcouse) The good thing is also that you have some fresh fume in the car for months and a clean interior.

beside of this. i also removed the headliner and glued some spots with spray glue and on top of the headliner i glued some trashbags some if there is still a small water leak from the sunroof it go to the side of the panels and not in your headliner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to raymondNL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help raymondNL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
raymondNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:46 PM   #10
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enough

Yep>
seats ; console ; lower side trim......

good chance to clean console

I cleaned & painted the floor of the car

I used garden hose with a small/home herbicide sprayer (using Dove liquid hand detergent in place of poison) , dried in sunlite.

If mildew/fungus got started ... maybe get another carpet from junkyard car.
My carpet was filthy with coffee and food deposits, but it cleaned up quite nicely. After painting the floor, i put down some plastic leaf bags to catch small bits of water (and keep off floor), before re-installing the dry carpet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:54 PM   #11
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

^ ^ ^ that's a good idea. Reminds me, others have thrown in Reflectix or carpet padding under the carpet to help soundproof the car

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote