SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2018, 08:17 PM   #1
kimohands
kimohands has a spectacular aura aboutkimohands has a spectacular aura aboutkimohands has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL1
Default Ticking, Odd Idle, Inconsistent Power, Possible Chain?

My Manual 1995 Saturn SL1 180,000 miles has been having the same issues for a while now. It's a combination of a wandering idle, around 100 rpms up and down but not all the time.

Subtly inconsistent performance, seems fine just driving between 20 to 50 but seems wonky during take off almost stalling one second then suddenly fine, or hesitant trying to go closer to 60. Its hard to tell, the feeling is subtle but there.

It also seems to be getting worse. I asked it for some power the other day and for the first time it flat out refused. I don't expect a lot from the engine but i know what it should feel like.

I feel like i can hear the timing chain in between shifting gears. and it definitely has some lifter ticking.

The engine has had pistons drilled for oil drainage, new rings, pretty much all new seals and sensors. The only thing never changed was the timing system. So i have a timing kit coming I'm just looking for some input if anyone has any ideas.

Mason in Florida
1995 Saturn SL1 SOHC 5Spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kimohands's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kimohands reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kimohands is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2018, 08:51 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Default Re: Ticking, Odd Idle, Inconsistent Power, Possible Chain?

Try removing the EGR valve and blocking the ports for it on the head.

It is unlikely valve timing would change, in an intermittent way, enough to affect performance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:04 AM   #3
kimohands
kimohands has a spectacular aura aboutkimohands has a spectacular aura aboutkimohands has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL1

I'll check it out. The EGR valve was replaced with a new one in 2015, but it does sound consistent with my issues.

Mason in Florida

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kimohands reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #4
KNGRK9
KNGRK9 has a spectacular aura aboutKNGRK9 has a spectacular aura aboutKNGRK9 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Try removing the EGR valve and blocking the ports for it on the head.

It is unlikely valve timing would change, in an intermittent way, enough to affect performance.
Simply unplugging the EGR should be sufficient to test. As that is how I discovered mine was clogged. Two cans of carb cleaner freed up the valve inside enough to where I could depress it with finger pressure. It'll throw a SES light but will clear after about 30 minutes after getting hooked back up.

Ticking wouldn't be caused by the egr, may be lifter noise.

1999 SL2 HCE - 232k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KNGRK9's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KNGRK9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KNGRK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:51 PM   #5
kimohands

1995 SL1

I unplugged the egr valve and didn't notice a difference.

I would say that the car does consistently bog down the more i ask of it. When i punch it trying to get up to 60 it feels like its kicking back on me, but very very lightly. You'd miss it if you weren't paying attention. Like little tiny misfires. When i take it easy it doesn't really want to get up to 60 its a struggle.

I'm getting about 26 MPG. There is definitely something robbing me.

Mason in Florida

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-14-2018, 12:48 PM   #6
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

Check for a clogged catalytic converter. Remove the front O2 sensor and go for a drive. This provides an escape path for exhaust. Look at where the exhaust will exit with the sensor removed and consider fabricating some sort of metal deflector if the exhaust from the O2 sensor port will hit something that might melt.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
305k 02/18

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:54 PM   #7
kimohands

1995 SL1

I've checked that before, i guess whoever had it before me smashed the cat out.

Mason in Florida

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-14-2018, 10:07 PM   #8
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Disabling an EGR valve, by unplugging the hose/cable that controls it, isn't an adequate test. You have to remove the EGR valve and block the ports in the head that the exhaust flows through. I know that is contrary to another opinion posted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #9
kimohands

1995 SL1

Blocked the egr valve no change.

I did notice that everything seemed fine until after it reached temp. After that is bogs down a few hundred RPM to low when i stop and the idle wanders sometimes.

I have replaced in the last 3 years the MAP sensor, the IAC valve, the Throttle position sensor, the throttle body with one of the same year and engine, the intake air temp sensor, the coolant temp sensor, the O2 sensor, and probably about a doze other things.

Mason in Florida

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #10
kimohands

1995 SL1

We had to replace some of the valves when we did the rebuild. We ended up getting some from the junk yard. Could this be the issue?

Mason in Florida

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Exhausting all suggestions without any improvement still leaves one or two things not suggested, fuel filter and possibly worn out fuel pump. Did you replace the fuel filter at 100k miles? Checked fuel pressures with a pressure gauge?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:54 AM   #12
kimohands

1995 SL1

Pump and filter were both replaced last year.

Mason in Florida

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2018, 12:52 PM   #13
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Did you check fuel pressures? I don't trust my own work after repairs and if I can, is use any tool or equipment to ensure a repair doesn't backfire........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-20-2018, 01:04 PM   #14
kimohands

1995 SL1

Fuel pressure was right around 35 idle.

Mason in Florida

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #15
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Is this '95 SL1 sohc with throttle body injection (TBI)? If yes, the TBI has a fuel pressure regulator that may be worn out and needs to be replaced. Its just a rubber diaphragm and easily accessible after removing the tbi for bench repair. Check for a leaky injector too after turning on ignition by looking straight down the throttle opening for fuel, preferably with someone turning on ignition while you observe the tbi for fuel spraying. Turning on ignition and not starting should cycle the fuel pump to generate pressure without the injector leaking fuel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2018, 03:13 PM   #16
kimohands

1995 SL1

I have a 95 sl1 sohc with MPFI.

Mason in Florida

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2018, 05:37 PM   #17
kimohands

1995 SL1

I pulled the dip stick and my oil seemed to smell pretty gas heavy.

Mason in Florida

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-15-2018, 07:49 PM   #18
kimohands

1995 SL1

Just a quick wrap up here.

It definitely seems as though i have an electrical issue. The car used to flood when it rained making it very humid. I believe that it messed with some of the wiring in the car.

I replaced the pcm and now the car gets to 50 without an issue and accelerates in 5th gear again. Im getting 30 MPG on average now.

The engine still surges up and down at idle. Maybe I'll never figure it out. I'm pretty happy about how its running now.

Mason in Florida

REWARD EXCELLENCE!