SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
gbriceno
gbriceno is on a distinguished road

1993 SC1
Question 93' SC1 Catalytic to Exhaust pipe fasteners:Studs or nuts and bolts?

Looks like the wife's car sprung an exhaust leak after going through a deep puddle. The exhaust leak is coming form the flange where the catalytic converter meets the long intermediate pipe that goes to the muffler.

My question is this: Do the Saturn SC-1's use a stud and bolt or is this a nut and bolt setup? I'm hoping its a nut and bolt so I don't have to deal with any rusty and weak studs that might break off when I attempt the repair this weekend.

Any advice you might have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gbriceno's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gbriceno reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gbriceno is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: 93' SC1 Catalytic to Exhaust pipe fasteners:Studs or nuts and bolts?

IIRC its a bolt. But it may be rusted in there so bad its now a stud

Use LOTS of PB BLaster and get the torch ready

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: 93' SC1 Catalytic to Exhaust pipe fasteners:Studs or nuts and bolts?

The hacksaw, more likely. I think those are actually those funky inverse torx bolts, similar to the bolt heads for the seats. Mine were so rusted, I couldn't get any fastener on them, even after aprx. a swimming-pool-ful of PB. Be prepared to use a hacksaw or cutting wheel, pound out what's left, and replace with stainless bolts/nuts.

Last edited by madpogue; 12-11-2009 at 01:03 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
gbriceno

1993 SC1

Madpogue and RC1488,

Thanks for the responses. I'm glad to hear that its just a nut and bolt. I'm going to head over to the boat supply store to pickup some stainless steel hardware. I'll let you know how I made out.

Regards,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help gbriceno reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
gbriceno

1993 SC1
Thumbs Up FIXED! Re: 93' SC1 Catalytic to Exhaust pipe fasteners:Studs or nuts and bolts?

Just wanted to post an update on the repair I did last night to fix the exhaust leak where the cat and the exhaust pipe meet at the flange. The flange and bolts where rusted beyond the point of any sort of re-use. Replacing the flange gasket was the least of my worries as you can see from the pictures attached to this post. While I was at Autozone, I took a chance to see what they had in the exhasut repair section and stumbled across these split flanges. that worked out perfect. It took about 30-45 minutes to complete the repair. You can also get small pipe sections with flanges if you want more of an OEM solution without having to R&R the exhaust system. Below are the details of the part that I used for the repair from Autozone. I picked (2) of these for the repair.

Hope this helps others out there with a similiar situation.

__________________________________________________ ___________
==================================================

Autozone Part Number: 17169 $5.19
3A Racing / 1 3/4 to 2 in. laminated split flange

Features & Benefits:

These Split Flanges Are Fast Replacements For Burnt-Out Oe Flanges. They Eliminate The Need To Disassemble The Exhaust System To Slip On A One-Piece Flange
__________________________________________________ ___________
==================================================
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00040-20091211-1823.jpg (68.5 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00048-20091211-1840.jpg (94.1 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00052-20091211-1859.jpg (75.9 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00054-20091211-1900.jpg (74.6 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00055-20091211-1900.jpg (88.9 KB, 124 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
KevinCT
KevinCT is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Thumbs Up Re: 93' SC1 Catalytic to Exhaust pipe fasteners:Studs or nuts and bolts?

thanks for listing the part info gbriceno, I have exact the same problem, just saved me a ton of hassle and cash. I now know what I'm doing this weekend

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KevinCT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KevinCT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KevinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

Cool solution to a weird problem

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #8
gbriceno

1993 SC1

Glad my post was able to help others out there.....

Post some pics to see how you made out. Best of luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
KevinCT
KevinCT is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

will post pics this week,unfortunately local autozone didnt have it in stock, went online will try to go to the next closest one tomorrow for pick up, on the plus side was able to get an oil change done, I forgot for a sec where the oil filter was again, it's been so long. Right now I have a handyman special on there, 3 inch waterclamps and galvanize sheet metal left over from an old venting project, just something to brace it to prevent damage, damn thing is still loud.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KevinCT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KevinCT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KevinCT is offline   Reply With Quote