SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 09-23-2005, 05:30 PM   #1
SW2Muck
SW2Muck is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2
Default Thinking about changing my ECTS and Cleaning my EGR

There isn't much wrong with my car. My gas pedal sticks when cold, and I know I need to put some carb cleaner in there, but I need to find an asst. to press the gas, while I'm stso I've been putting that off.
But anyway..... My car seems to drag ass sometimes while stop-and-go driving and accelerating after heavy braking, I need to prod the gas a bit more. The ECTS hasn't been changed and the EGR hasn't been touched either. Could these things be effecting my car as well?
SW2Muck is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2005, 05:58 PM   #2
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL
Default Re: Thinking about changing my ECTS and Cleaning my EGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW2Muck
There isn't much wrong with my car. My gas pedal sticks when cold, and I know I need to put some carb cleaner in there, but I need to find an asst. to press the gas, while I'm stso I've been putting that off.
But anyway..... My car seems to drag ass sometimes while stop-and-go driving and accelerating after heavy braking, I need to prod the gas a bit more. The ECTS hasn't been changed and the EGR hasn't been touched either. Could these things be effecting my car as well?
Yes, assuming your SW2 has the "plastic" ECT sensor. (I have an old SL that had the bad sensor) And yes, buy stock ECT sensor. And use fuel injection cleaner in your tank and the carb cleaner that's safe for fuel injectors and oxygen sensors to clean your throttle body and IAC. See the "How to" library on this site for directions.

Jerry
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 08:01 PM   #3
SW2Muck

1999 SW2

Went and cleaned the throttle body for *****s and giggles. Found out I wasn't getting the butterfly opened up enough, as I had a bit of trouble getting it open at first, but I was able to and gave it a liberal spraying of carb cleaner. Fixed the sticking pedal.

When I sprayed it in, I got a lot of black soot out. I figured it was just some carbon build-up, which normally causes the sticking gas pedal. I told my dad what I did, and he thought it may be running a little rich as well. If it is, could these problems be caused or exacerbated by a dirty EGR or blown ECTS? Might a tune-up be in order?
Old 09-23-2005, 08:29 PM   #4
dansl2
Advanced Member
dansl2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Yep, carbon build up could (probably is) caused by a bad or dying ects. Will affect gas milage also. Read the how to section for replacement instructios. You may (should really) REMOVE & clean the TB. It is very easy & allows you to clean the under side of the butterfly & the small access ports that get clogged. Be sure to remove the sensors & clean the AIS pintle. That can affect idle big time. That particular job should take all of about 20 minutes, start to finish.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
dansl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 09:03 PM   #5
OnMy6th
OnMy6th is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Hey folks, sorry to butt in...may I ask how difficult it'd be to remove the TB? Are there any links you could post with literal step-by-step instructions, as I'm a dumb-*****?

Thanks.
OnMy6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 10:14 PM   #6
dansl2
Advanced Member
dansl2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

It's REALLY easy. Remove the intake hose, remove vacumn lines (two I think) disconnect the throttle cable, unplug the wiring harness, remove a couple of bolts & off it comes. You might want to pick up a spare TB gasket just in case yours rips (unlikely, but does happen). Once off the engine, remove the IAS & the TPS (you'll know them when you see them)you will need a torx bit for that. Spray the heck out of it with carb/TB cleaner (be sure to get one that says it is safe for O2 sensors), scrub it with an old toothbrush to get ALL the crud off. Gaze at your clean & shiney TB, feel good, reverse to reinstall.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
dansl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 07:45 AM   #7
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

The '99 came with the plastic ECTS. Even if it's not a problem now, you should replace it. It's really awful when it goes. Get one from a dealer and check your connector before you go. They can leak and corrode the connector. The ECTS can make the car run rich.

Cleaning the EGR on these cars can be considered regular maintenance. The '99 has a linear EGR valve that looks a little different than the one in the How-To. Cleaning it is basically the same. On the bottom you'll see a torx screw in one of the holes that's on the pintle. Make sure it moves up and down freely.
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 12:13 PM   #8
OnMy6th

1997 SC2

Well, let's say, just hypothetically,that I have cleaned out the TB before. But instead of using FI-safe cleaner, I used just plain ole' carb and choke cleaner. How much irrepairable damage have I done? How do I know if I've done any at all?

Thanks.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:41 PM   #9
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

You should be fine.
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 03:52 PM   #10
Partymmudasti
Advanced Member
Partymmudasti is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

I removed my throttle body earlier, took a whole 3 minutes to get it off. You have to disconnect the TPS and IAC connectors, take off the 3 vacuum lines on top, then disconnect the throttle cable. Take the two bolts off the throttle body, mine had loc-tite on them and took a little muscle at first to break them loose.

Glad I took it off! It was carboned up the ***. I gave my IAC a real good cleaning, didnt clean the TPS too much as it was ok. The butterfly and bore itself looked like a carbon "mountain" if you can imagine that.

In my case, apparently, the ECTS I just replaced probably contributed a lot to this, as my car is a 93 SL2 with 73,000 miles, that had a dealer throttle body cleaning performed at the 50k mile service.

Its pretty easy. Good Luck and you will be really surprised at how much better it idles and drives. My gas pedal used to stick too when it was cold, now its really smooth and light.
Partymmudasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 04:29 PM   #11
SW2Muck

1999 SW2

Admittedly, I was a wuss and had my "local" (30 mi. away in Canton!), dealer do it, I had to go out there anyway to get the parts, and by the time, I had to buy the ECTS and connector, it wasn't that much more. I had a tune-up done as well, they clean the throttle body and EGR with that, so I figured why not, I don't like messing with vacuum lines anyway. My very first car, (a K-Car that had seen better days!), had vacuum leaks and missing lines all over the place. Yea, it was as ugly as it sounds!
Anyway, the ECTS was cracked and the connector was corroded too, no surprise there! I also got some much needed new brakes, and ~$500 later, it runs and stops like a dream!
Old 09-27-2005, 09:52 PM   #12
OnMy6th

1997 SC2

Stupid question, but if all these ECTSes are going bad, how come we don't know it in the dash board. Shouldn't the gauge reflect no/wrong signal, cluing you in to a faulty sensor? I thought '96+ models used the same sensor for signal/sending. If the one sensor is faulty, would it not cause the gauge to not register correctly? Please advise. Oh, by the way, Saturn asks $28 for a connector. I went to Radio Shack and got a PC connector (serial) kit for $1.71. I used 2 female pin-holes to replace the corroded ones in the ECTS sensor, soldered it, better than new.

Any help is great. Thanks.