SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

View Poll Results: The most annoying thing about ricers is...
how they're such posers 44 19.13%
they use unnecessary equipment (esp. wings) 52 22.61%
the way their cars fart 29 12.61%
their cars are tacky to all hell 43 18.70%
how they seem to best stuck on this F&TF image 11 4.78%
stickers for parts they don't have 28 12.17%
one word...altezza 10 4.35%
sumthin else 13 5.65%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 02:36 AM   #1
Knightmare
Knightmare is on a distinguished road

Default What's your biggest beef with ricers?

Just wondering
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2002, 05:17 AM   #2
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

You should have allowed multiple choices on that poll - making a choice was tough!

They drive like complete freaking morons. Don't believe me? Try 11pm-2am on Commercial Boulevard and University Drive here in Fort Lauderdale. Every so often, one of them gets a lasting lesson in physics - but they don't learn.

Their want for stolen V-Tech motors is a pain. Normal folks can't have one without fear of having their car stolen for its motor and interior due to some riceboy frying his with too much Nos.

Those exhausts are so loud.

The street racing is dangerous.

The tail-lights, washer nossel lights, neon, and fake xenon lamps are so poserish.

I could go on, but gotta get to work.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:07 AM   #3
WhtCastle
WhtCastle is on a distinguished road

Arrow

The fakeness. I have no respect for the people that make thier car APPEAR to be good but they havent done jack to it
Old 05-09-2002, 09:21 AM   #4
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Happy

i refuse to pay to see the fast and the furious, but i'm curious enough to watch it on cable. it just seems so stupid. i had free passes to go see it and got there an hour early and the theatre was completely package, so i couldn't get in ;( the parking lot was hilarious. wtf. cops were laughing at some of the sticker, wing, homemade body kit, and huge tip jobs that rolled in. the other thing that bugs me is that i invite those folks to come out to the drag strip and/or autocross and they never seem to make it. street ricing is stupid.
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe
Old 05-09-2002, 10:24 AM   #5
SleeperSC2
SleeperSC2 is on a distinguished road

ALL OF THE ABOVE.

I have put a more than a couple of people fitting this description in their place with my 93 SC2 with very few bolt on mods. Alot of these guys (they're not all guys either) only have a bug-bomb muffler and advertise parts they don't have with all those stickers. You know, in the right fantasy world, those stickers are worth 10 horsepower each. Even if I were running stock, most of them still wouldn't stand a chance. What others don't get is that if you bolt on an intake and cat-back exhaust then add a 50+ pound body kit, 25 pound apiece chrome 18" wheels and install a stereo that weighs over 50 pounds, the weight puts them in the negative for net-power gained. These guys are easy pickings. You know what though? Where I live, the girl's cars looks really clean, most guy's cars looks like a POS.

I'm almost 35 years old and I've learned that there is a time and place for such activity (the drag strip), but I have also learned to pick and choose my battles on the street. I remember a day when I'd light up the tires on my '68 Chevelle and didn't care who was around--driving that car allowed me to almost lose my license on more than one occasion. The ONLY reason I didn't lose it was because more than one once I was stopped by an officer who just gave me a father-like lecture and let me go--cops aren't nearly that tolerant these days. But my biggest problem was that I had zero respect for other people around me in those situations--even people that were in the car with me. I'm in no way advocating street racing here, but on occasion (when I'm by myself) I will stomp on it if the situation calls for it.

I think there is a false sense of "legality" with those who street race. Many think that if they don't get caught, it's not illegal. I know that when I put myself in that situation, I am breaking the law and subject to punishment. I hope I don't sound like I'm trying to rationalize my actions--I'm not.

If anything, The Fast and the Furious has really ruined the compact scene. It has made it really tough to build a unique import, especially a Honda or Acura. There are slight exceptions, but a Supra will cost you $25,000 just for an original non-modified one. That's where we Saturn owners have an advantage. We already have something unique and we don't have to break the bank. It's hard for alot of people not to get sucked into the BS that movie presents, but there are a couple of neat cars in it like that Nissan Skyline and the Supra they build at the end.

Sorry for the lenghty post. Anyway, it's time for me to go and paste the dozen SPS stickers I have onto my car...

Todd
Old 05-09-2002, 01:04 PM   #6
MaliceRacing
MaliceRacing is on a distinguished road

ok...

i really couldnt decide.

so here's the story.

i was comming home from work driving my '88 fiero. one hellva road-rocket.

this white civic, riced to all hell pulls up next to me. revs at me. i refuse to race him. the light turns green and i accelorate normally.

he thinks i'm trying to race him and stomps on it. naturnally Fiero-vs.-civic, i'm way ahead. i reach 55 and start cruising.

a couple seconds later the Civic comes screaming by, about 6 inches from my mirror, with his hazard lights on. already on his cell phone telling his boyfriend about how he blew away an MR2. doesn't know i was in a pontiac.

this is called the Ricer-Fly-By. it's dangerous, stupid and annoying.

btw everything else on the list annoys me to.
Old 05-09-2002, 01:55 PM   #7
Galileo
Master Member
Galileo is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Simply put, they don't have the ability to match their attitudes. If they actually spent their money on driving lessons and not the gaping mouthed body kits, I would be more inclined to respect the rice scene.
Beautiful People First~
Old 05-09-2002, 04:10 PM   #8
Blaise
Blaise is on a distinguished road

Somebody said stuff about neon and stuff, well, that's all ok with me, but you really should have an all of the above option. Overall though, I dislike the ricers not their cars. They think they are badasses. Neons and stuff is pretty cool though to me.
Old 05-09-2002, 06:25 PM   #9
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Roll Eyes

Neon and lights bother me......it creates unnecessary distraction for other 'normal' drivers.

But that's what Ricers want to get attraction though? They just don't know it's an annoying one.

Those stupid LED Washer nozzles bug me too, are those cars ever passed DMV Inspection test?
Old 05-09-2002, 07:10 PM   #10
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by qlara
Those stupid LED Washer nozzles bug me too, are those cars ever passed DMV Inspection test?
There is not any inspection here in Florida. If it cranks, you can title it and drive it anywhere. If it breaks down, take the tag and call a cab.

I remember growing up in South Jersey - they had this really strict inspection gig. Godforbid you fail, you'd get a red inspection sticker good for 30 days and you were just asking to get stopped all the time. There was not any junk on the road though...
Old 05-09-2002, 11:45 PM   #11
Marshall
Marshall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by piney

I remember growing up in South Jersey - they had this really strict inspection gig. Godforbid you fail, you'd get a red inspection sticker good for 30 days and you were just asking to get stopped all the time. There was not any junk on the road though...
Strict inspection? LOL

I live in south Jersey and I had a 1986 plymouth turismo. The thing was falling apart all the time. The damn air pump (emission control device) seized up on me so I took it off and didn't bother putting it back on. I went through inspection and I was surprised when it passed. Then I sold it to my friend and we gutted the cat. He ran it through inspection with no air pump and no cat, and it still passed, lol
Old 05-10-2002, 02:00 AM   #12
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

They are all posers, trying to be cool. They also cant really afford what they really want, so they just rice up what they have.

The part that bugs me, is all of these "modifications" dont actually do anything. Oh boy! I can go to walmart and buy a cromed tiped coffee-can fart muffler pipe! I took a second off my 1/4 time!

I have no problem with people who do real INTERNAL modifications to a car -- even a Honda Civic or Integra. Slap a turbo or nitrous system in! cool! But when they start bring out the oversized mufflers, tacky body kits, racing stripes, and bright green paint jobs, that bugs me.

But even all of that is ok, compared to rice boys who think their modifications gave them unlimited handling abilities on the freeway. You know how well those cut springs work when you take corners at 80 mph or weave in and out of traffic. And I thought the buick skylark was bad :o: We lose a pair of Integras every couple of weeks due to this garbage. Semis and cut spring integras dont do well.
Old 05-10-2002, 02:45 AM   #13
WhtCastle
WhtCastle is on a distinguished road

Yea, i dont car if a lil honda actually HAS BEEN upgraded. Then its perfectly fine. But when all they do is change the lights (major hp boost) and change the pipe to look all nice is just such bs
Old 05-10-2002, 09:12 AM   #14
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Dazed

Quote:
Originally posted by qlara
Neon and lights bother me......it creates unnecessary distraction for other 'normal' drivers.

But that's what Ricers want to get attraction though? They just don't know it's an annoying one.

what is a "dmv inspection test"?
gotta love living in detroit. home of the big three and the uaw. pay $12 and you can register any hooptie that you can show "proof of insurance" for.
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe
Old 05-10-2002, 10:53 AM   #15
Cujo31
Cujo31 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

oh brother. don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of undercar lights either, but i'm sorry.
If you are distracted by other cars on the road, then your definition of a "Normal" Driver must be a skittish old lady who cruises down the interstate at 30 mph while trying to see over their dashboard and crochet a sweater for her Shih-Tzu on her lap.
Now That's a Distraction.
Unnecessary Distraction. Man that just gets me.

If everyone had to remove unnecessary features of their car to avoid "distracting" or offending other drivers, then we'd all be rolling around in the same damn Brown 4-door 4-banging SL1.
and I'd officially be in hell, thank you very much.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:04 AM   #16
goldenSL1
goldenSL1 is on a distinguished road

It's not that I don't like Rice Burners as much as the driver of the rice burner. Their ignorance is intolerable. Racing at every street light in the city is only asking for trouble. You want to have fun, take your car to the strip or track. I can understand wanting to make your car look better but slapping a coffee can muffler and 17" wheels on a Civic is no different than any other civic out there. Try tricking it out......Suicide doors, unique paint jobs, etc...
BTW,
I drive a gold 4-door-4-banger SL1 and I like it just fine......I don't beleive I blend in that much....Your car only looks as good as you think it does.....
Old 05-10-2002, 11:23 AM   #17
eric02SC2
Advanced Member
eric02SC2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally posted by MaliceRacing
ok...

i really couldnt decide.

so here's the story.

i was comming home from work driving my '88 fiero. one hellva road-rocket.

this white civic, riced to all hell pulls up next to me. revs at me. i refuse to race him. the light turns green and i accelorate normally.

he thinks i'm trying to race him and stomps on it. naturnally Fiero-vs.-civic, i'm way ahead. i reach 55 and start cruising.

a couple seconds later the Civic comes screaming by, about 6 inches from my mirror, with his hazard lights on. already on his cell phone telling his boyfriend about how he blew away an MR2. doesn't know i was in a pontiac.

this is called the Ricer-Fly-By. it's dangerous, stupid and annoying.

btw everything else on the list annoys me to.

Never had the pleasure of seeing one of these types on the road. My reaction would probably have a lot to do with which side of me he was on. On the left side, I'd let him waste all the gas he wanted to. On the right side, he's going to be seeing my tail lights all the way!

-- Eric '02 SC2m

http://www.bigfoot.com/~eric.d
Old 05-10-2002, 11:39 AM   #18
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Roll Eyes

Quote:
Originally posted by Cujo31
If you are distracted by other cars on the road, then your definition of a "Normal" Driver must be a skittish old lady who cruises down the interstate at 30 mph while trying to see over their dashboard and crochet a sweater for her Shih-Tzu on her lap.
Other cars won't distract me, only cars with "Neon" lights do. And by the word 'Neon', isn't it supposed to be used to attract the attention?
Attracting by something while driving is Distraction, I don't need to elaborate that further. And what's wrong with the 'old lady' driving story? At least they pose less harm than certain inconsiderated Ricy Posers, who think their cars are invincible just by popping in some bulbs and stickers.

If everyone had to remove unnecessary features of their car to avoid "distracting" or offending other drivers, then we'd all be rolling around in the same damn Brown 4-door 4-banging SL1.
and I'd officially be in hell, thank you very much.
[/QUOTE]

I think your statement just offended a lot of Saturn fans here who drive your so-called "damn Brown 4-door 4-banging SL1" as a practical car. You may be officially be in hell and keep that comments to yourself, but most of us here found this car as a realiable gems.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:48 AM   #19
goldenSL1
goldenSL1 is on a distinguished road

I think your statement just offended a lot of Saturn fans here who drive your so-called "damn Brown 4-door 4-banging SL1" as a practical car. You may be officially be in hell and keep that comments to yourself, but most of us here found this car as a realiable gems.

I agree....My 4-door 4-banging SL1 is one of the most reliable cars I have ever had, not to mention its ease of repair and bolt on performance.
I thought this particular post was a question about Rice burners, not "Plain Jane" cars!!!

Old 05-10-2002, 01:33 PM   #20
MaliceRacing
MaliceRacing is on a distinguished road

my Brown four door four banger SL1 is a great little car.

for it's age it rides extreamly well and is very comfortable. it's never left me stranded always started when i asked it to and never complained.

even still. i drive the wagon much more. with it's rough ride and perky twin cam...yeah.

but if you want a rough ride. fiero. you feel the road because you're three inches off it. and that motor's rumble behind your back. the way the front end lifts way up when you floor it. i miss that car.
Closed Thread