Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > Classifieds

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 04:03 PM   #1
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default FS: 1997 SL2, 82K, Manual, Loaded

I'm not 100% ready to sell, but if someone here is interested that may push me to that point. Originally we were going to get another L200, but I found an incredible 2001 SC2 locally (except for the high price, lol) so I may spring for it if I can sell the SL2. On to the car...

1997 SL2, second owner
82,XXX miles
Manual transmission
Cold A/C
Power windows/locks/keyless alarm
Fog Lights
Sunroof
Spoiler
Factory alloys
Leather (installed aftermarket by the dealer when the car was brand new)
Saturn Floor Mats
Quality Llumar tint still under warranty (not the dyed junk)
Kenwood CD, Profile amp mounted under rear shelf, and two pairs of Rockford 6.75" components (tweeters mounted forward of front door handles and on the rear shelf).

The only factory options this car doesn't have is ABS and automatic.

The tires are OEM with about 30,000 miles on them. The sunroof module was replaced by Saturn two years ago, so it will last awhile (I keep it lubricated). Oil changes done on time. I flushed the radiator with Dex-Cool two years ago. Fuel pump replaced by Saturn two years ago.

I did a modification to the factory alarm that turns on the fog lights and parking lights with the dome light when the car is off, so you have an illuminated path upon entry and exit. They also flash when you arm or set off the alarm.

Now here's the bad parts (the angel on my shoulder is making me do it!). The clutch will slip under heavy load if you don't downshift properly. My guess is that you can get at least another year out of it. There is a quarter-sized spot on the rear bumper where the paint is peeling off. However, it appears that the paint isn't original because the original shiny paint is being exposed underneath, so it really isn't a big deal. The idler pulley (I think) whines more than normal. It's been doing it for over two years and probably won't fail anytime soon, it's just a noise that I ignore. The part is $60. Sometimes the ignition key is hard to insert. It's fine now. The cost for Saturn to fix it with labor is about $120. The sunroof leaked a couple weeks ago (I fixed the leak, it was clogged drain hoses) and the carpet started to smell. The smell is starting to go away. All four floor mats are fine. It uses a normal amount of fluids (I add about 0.5 quart of oil between changes, 1 pint of coolant every couple months, and top off the power steering fluid every couple of months).

I've maintained the car well and kept good care of it. Of course it has normal wear, but no major stains/dents/gouges/etc. It still gets 40MPG on the highway. The sound system cost about $1000 and 11 hours of my time to install and looks professional. It sounds excellent.

Oh, and it's dark blue with light gray interior.

Price is hard to determine, but I'm asking $3,850. It's hard since I paid $7,250 for this car in January 2002, and that was before I paid for the tint and sound system! I won't even mention what the dealer offered me for trade-in (about a pocketful of loose change).

I'm moving in three weeks and then three weeks later going to Africa for a month, so I'd like to get rid of this car before then.

Title is clean and the Saturn service history only shows maintaince and the repairs I mentioned above.

We all know what the car looks like, but I've attached an old photo from when I bought the car and after I had the tint done. If you are serious I can shoot some high-quality pics (after I wash it!).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05.jpg (13.9 KB, 60 views)
Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2004, 12:41 PM   #2
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

Bumpety bump bump...

Car is officially for sale! I picked up a 2001 SC2 last night. I'm moving and must sell!
Old 04-22-2004, 05:14 PM   #3
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

I put up a web page with lots of high-res photos. http://comp.uark.edu/~seb02/car/
Old 04-22-2004, 07:34 PM   #4
Applefool
Master Member
Applefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

That is a great looking car, and I'd take it off your hands in a second if I had the funds!
2011 Audi TT (modified)
2007 Mercedes E550 (stock)
1999 Expedition (Stock)
2007 Ion Coupe (Daughters eventually)
Old 04-22-2004, 10:58 PM   #5
myoung
Advanced Member
myoung is on a distinguished road

That is a sharp car... i don't want to insult you with my offer, however.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:44 PM   #6
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

SOLD!

I sold it locally through the newspaper classifieds. I got $3,650 for it, which I think is fair. A high school kid bought it (with help from grandpa).
Closed Thread