SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 02-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #1
for my wife
for my wife is on a distinguished road

Default 1998 Saturn SL2 Manual Transmission Cable broke

As the name implies, this is for my wife and her beautiful Saturn SL2 manual transmission.

I believe the cable has broke, and need to get a new one, the other part of this is that I have been doing research on the internet about it, and have heard about a black clip that breaks...

I drove the car home in what i thought was 4th gear...the shift lever is basically free, so it doesn't change gears...

I am new to ordering Saturn parts and feel the 180 dollars the "genuine" saturn dealership wishes to charge me is rediculous. Like every other middle class american, i want to save money, and do the work myself.

Does anyone have any ideas?

thanks!

For my wife

Edit, after posting i realised there are a ton of postings about this issue....sorry for teh double post...new to the forums....

Last edited by for my wife; 02-01-2008 at 09:33 PM. Reason: found mutiple posts about the issue.
for my wife is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2008, 10:56 PM   #2
rearviewmirror
rearviewmirror is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 1998 Saturn SL2 Manual Transmission Cable broke

Look up the parts on here... http://saturnparts.net/
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:49 AM   #3
virnin
Advanced Member
virnin is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by for my wife View Post
As the name implies, this is for my wife and her beautiful Saturn SL2 manual transmission.

I believe the cable has broke, and need to get a new one, the other part of this is that I have been doing research on the internet about it, and have heard about a black clip that breaks...

I drove the car home in what i thought was 4th gear...the shift lever is basically free, so it doesn't change gears...

I am new to ordering Saturn parts and feel the 180 dollars the "genuine" saturn dealership wishes to charge me is rediculous. Like every other middle class american, i want to save money, and do the work myself.

Does anyone have any ideas?

thanks!

For my wife

Edit, after posting i realised there are a ton of postings about this issue....sorry for teh double post...new to the forums....
Be sure to take off the center console and check that the bushing on the end of the cable didn't just break, allowing the cable end to slip off the pin on the shifter. As you may have read, it's the most common failure and is solvable by a number of inexpensive solutions. I'm leaning towards the Delrin replacements because I've seen how much tougher Delrin is compared to nylon. The console is held in by only four screws, one on either side at the very front and two under the storage tray or armrest in the back, so it's not very traumatic to lift it up out of the way. Be careful of the wiring for the lighter and the lamp for the cupholder.
virnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:48 AM   #4
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2

Welcome to the forum.

Common issue. Search on "shift linkage bushing" for a multitude of posts. Fix ranges from the $10 Toyota wiper bushing to the $200 Saturn cable replacement. My Toyota wiper bushing has been operating well for a year and a half now. And you get 5 of them for $10. I have 4 spares that I have never used.
"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #5
Motorhead62
Motorhead62 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Wrench Re: 1998 Saturn SL2 Manual Transmission Cable broke

Trust me on this, buy the genuine Saturn cable and pay the higher cost. The shifter cables come in a set and are joined at the firewall grommet. When you get the cables you will see why it costs so much.

The cheap cables are junk!!! I changed the cables on my SL and the shifter works better now then when it was new. I don't recommend putting a band aid on it. Just my 2 cents.
Chris

AKA "Motorhead62"
2008 Aura XE EcoTech 2.4
2001 L200 EcoTech 2.2
1993 SL1 1.9L
1967 Chevelle "496" BBC
1967 El Camino "388" SBC
1967 C-10 "463" BBC

www.C-DPerformance.com
Motorhead62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead62 View Post
The cheap cables are junk!!! I changed the cables on my SL and the shifter works better now then when it was new. I don't recommend putting a band aid on it.
+1 on the aftermarket cables. If you have to change the cables get them from Saturn. The aftermarket ones are made in China or someplace and are prone to breaking.

But if just the bushing is broken replace it. Bushing is not available at Saturn. They have to sell you the whole cable assembly.

Also check the cable linkage at the tranny end. Sometimes the retaining clip will fall off.
"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote