SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 09-27-2005, 02:34 PM   #1
Gator
Gator is on a distinguished road

Default Intake manifold gasket replacement

I have a 2002 Saturn SL 1, 1.9 SOHC. The intake manifold gasket is leaking. Can anyone tell me what a garage would charge to replace? Also, if someone has done this themselves, how difficult and time consuming is it? Thanks
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2005, 01:56 AM   #2
etbardensc2
etbardensc2 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Intake manifold gasket replacement

Kinda difficult. You have to remove the fuel rail stuff like that around it. Garages can do it but its around 3 hours and $250 - $600. There is a broad range in cost due to labor per hour charge and some saturn dealerships may charge the reduced cost because its a common thing. They know shortcut ways.

Edward
etbardensc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:45 AM   #3
bigron
bigron is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

4.5 hrs. labor plus approx. $35 parts (about $400 at the dealer)
They can be kinda a pain to do put not too bad. The intake does not need to be completly removed inorder to repalce that gasket. Take loose the upper motor and tranny mount and rock the engine forward and up. They can be done in an hour but give yourself a day if you try it yourself.
bigron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:48 AM   #4
PeteB
Advanced Member
PeteB is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1994 SC2

Looked in my Haynes manual, and the job doesn't look too bad. Drain coolant, relieve fuel pressure (easy), disconnect a lot of hoses and wires, unbolt the power steering pump and put it aside, remove fuel rail. Then off with the manifold.

To get at the brace under the manifold, you raise the car and remove right wheel and splash guard. Haynes advises this late in the game, but I would do this first, for draining the coolant and because I like working with the car up high so I don't have to bend over so much.

Tool-wise, you'll need a set of metric sockets, screwdrivers, and pliers. There's only one torque spec (for the manifold, 114 in. lbs.). There are no complicated settings for anything as you re-assemble.

For the small hoses and wires, you could label with masking tape and a small marker. Numbering each side of the connections as you undo them is a good method.

Allow lots of time, like a weekend, in case you have to run out for tools, or if nuts are sticky and you want to let them sit with penetrant on them (PB Blaster is great). I think I could do this in 2-3 hours, and I am not a great mechanic.

I would say that level of difficulty is about the same as a doing disc brakes with rotors. Buy a manual. Using a digital camera might be nice if you have one, but is not essential.

If the job is $300 at a shop, with the savings you can add to your tool collection and have a couple hundred to spare

P.S. According to Haynes, undoing the transaxle mount is not necessary for SOHC motors.
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:56 AM   #5
bigron
bigron is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Not necessary but I personaly find it easier to work on if it is removed because you gain a couple of inches to get your arm in there and clean the head and intake. And it is only one 13mm. My opnion only done 20-30 of them though.
bigron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 08:19 AM   #6
PeteB
Advanced Member
PeteB is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron
My opnion only done 20-30 of them though.
This is the man who knows for sure. Notice I said "according to Haynes"; basically a total disclaimer of responsibility
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 08:32 AM   #7
SaturnTech
SaturnTech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB
For the small hoses and wires, you could label with masking tape and a small marker. Numbering each side of the connections as you undo them is a good method.

Totally unnecessary...all of the engine harness connectors are unique...they will only plug into the sensor they were designed to fit into. When you lay the harness back out, the connectors will damn near fall into place where they should be.

Take your time and you won't have any trouble.
SaturnTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 08:46 PM   #8
bobbyrae
bobbyrae has a spectacular aura aboutbobbyrae has a spectacular aura about

1993 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnTech
Originally Posted by PeteB

Totally unnecessary...all of the engine harness connectors are unique...they will only plug into the sensor they were designed to fit into. When you lay the harness back out, the connectors will damn near fall into place where they should be.

Take your time and you won't have any trouble.
I have to say that I like PeteB's approach. If you don't know that all the connectors are unique, you may have some anxiety about getting things back together and this labelling takes that worry out of the job. My Honda has numbers on all the vacuum hoses, but I make a "map" of where they all go anyway, just because I know can get them connected correctly later with it.
bobbyrae is offline   Reply With Quote