SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 04:33 PM   #1
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Default VTi Extended Warranty

Saw the notice on the page. New Saturns with VTi getting 5/75 warranty. Says the others will get a warranty. Wonder what that will be (length) ? My friend has an Odessey and they sent him a notice that they were having tranny failures and were extending the warranty on his automatic to 6 year 100,000 miles. Hope sSaturn does that to put VTi owners at ease. Here's a case where Saturn can learn from Honda to show they care about the customer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2004, 05:29 PM   #2
boone
boone is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
1997 SL2

100k would've been a lot more impressive. I extended my warranty to 5 years when I bought my VUE, so this doesn't help me much. They should give me a refund for the VTi portion of the warrantly that I paid for.

I hope they perfect the VTi. I like it when it's working correctly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to boone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help boone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2004, 07:50 PM   #3
pd1601
pd1601 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2001 SL1

I agree with Boone's comments. Will take it up monday when the car goes in again for the 4th time for the scrape problem. Perhaps they can put in one of the "recalibrated" VTis (whatever that means).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pd1601's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pd1601 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2004, 08:16 PM   #4
Eric
Eric is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2007 Outlook XR
Default Re: VTi Extended Warranty

Quote:
Originally posted by ricksLS1
Hope sSaturn does that to put VTi owners at ease. Here's a case where Saturn can learn from Honda to show they care about the customer.
I agree. It's better to own up to problems than to get bashed for having a problem AND trying to hide it, or not admit it's an issue. They're in "firefighting mode" (a.k.a. damage control) right now, so the company's image is on the line. Stepping up may cost a lot now, but in the long run it'll benefit the company.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eric's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eric reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2004, 09:38 PM   #5
JChambors
JChambors is on a distinguished road

There's no question that Saturn is in major damage control right now. They will try to put the best possible spin on things. Having to shutdown a production line for 3 months is huge (if they do get it started by the end of March) It doesn't make GM look much like a world class technology company while Nissan, Audi, etc. continue to turn out there CVTs with few problems.

Oh well, 5/75K is better than 3/36K, but it could certainly be better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JChambors's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JChambors reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2004, 10:30 PM   #6
freeheel
freeheel is on a distinguished road

I got a 5/60K extended drivetrain warranty when they replaced my first VTi. I think the 5/75K is too wimpy. Many of us are taking 5 years to pay off the Vue. So in essence, as soon as we want to trade it in or sell it (after we've made our 60 monthly payments) the VUe will drop in value because the warranty will be expired. I was hoping for a 6/100K. Now that's a statement of assurance and pride in your product.

The 5/75K offer is simply saying, "Yup, the VTi sucks, so we'll make sure you have a working product for a little while. After that, you're stuck with your 3000 pound paper weight."

Saturn is not on my good side right now...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to freeheel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help freeheel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2004, 11:57 PM   #7
Eric

2001 SC2
2007 Outlook XR

I just picked up my VUE this past Tuesday (3/9). I happened to be browsing this part of the boards just to see what's been going on, and I noticed the chatter about VTi problems. It helped me decide to go with the 6/100k extended warranty. I had extended warranties on my previous two Saturns (5/75k and 6/100k), and I hardly had any warranty repair work done (my coupe has 68k on it and it drives like new). So I almost decided to forgo the extended warranty altogether!

At least I'll be covered for an extra 25k.

The 5/75k is C.Y.A. (Cover Your *****). They said themselves that "one" of the problems they encountered was during long-term testing. I would bet that they found that the belt(s) failed above 75k. Is there any VTi owners out there with high mileage on their tranny?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eric's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eric reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2004, 12:05 AM   #8
sgrol
sgrol is on a distinguished road

Eric, I think I would exercise my right of return on the Vue and get something more reliable if I were you. If I knew then what I know now, I would never have bought the VTi. Just my two cents.

06 RAV4
2000 F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
97 SC2 (sold)
02 L200 (sold)
03 Vue VTI AWD (sold)
01 Dodge 2500 CTD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sgrol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sgrol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2004, 12:29 AM   #9
Eric

2001 SC2
2007 Outlook XR

sgrol - I've tossed that idea around, actually. I guess I'm in a wait and see mode. I'll be hitting 1500 miles quickly, so I would be deciding within the next week or so. I can't go to the manual tranny (my wife would kill me - she's sick of them), and to upgrade to the V6 would add $40/month to my already large payment.

From what I've gathered, it sounds like many of the '03 owners biggest problems was that neither their retailers nor Saturn themselves knew what the cause of the problems were. Between software upgrades and out-of-spec parts, it sounds like Saturn has a better handle on the causes recently.

I've heard from the people with VTi problems. What about those without problems? Or is everyone having problems? Maybe I'm in denial, or maybe I'm just optomistic - my VTi won't fail. I've had a really good experience with Saturn since '95, and so I guess I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I suppose if it does fail, I would be ok with it as long as my retailer doesn't treat me like a child and they repair it correctly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eric's Reputation
Old 03-14-2004, 01:16 AM   #10
jshust
jshust is on a distinguished road

Eric,
So far I've had no problems at all with my 03 vti AWD VUE. I've read all the postings on various vti and non-vti troubles and like you I'm optimistic. It is a relief to here about the extended warranty anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jshust's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jshust reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2004, 01:47 AM   #11
jdt141
jdt141 is on a distinguished road

i've got 10k on an 03 ion w/the CVT as well... no problems yet, but my resale has already plummetted, and the sooner i can sell this car, the better...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jdt141's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jdt141 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2004, 01:56 AM   #12
HfxVue
HfxVue is on a distinguished road

No problems so far on my FWD Vti.

Here in Canada our new car warranty covers us for 5yrs/100000km. Hoping that maybe they'll extend that to 6/120000 (75000 miles=120000 km).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HfxVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HfxVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2004, 08:10 AM   #13
tominsky
Advanced Member
tominsky is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

So, what will be the deal here in canada??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tominsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tominsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2004, 06:52 PM   #14
bk63
bk63 is on a distinguished road

Should be interesting to see how much they extend the standard warranty on the VTI. Whatever they do it should make the price of extending it further cheaper I would think?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bk63's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bk63 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2004, 03:38 AM   #15
alanhvue
alanhvue is on a distinguished road

No problems with my 30,000 mile, 2003 AWD VTi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alanhvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alanhvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2004, 10:03 AM   #16
ricksLS1
Master Member

No problems VTi 2003 FWD. A bolt recall. Have 11,300. Was in Lake Placid last winter and it was -13 F. No problems. I do feel nervous as as see a few people here with problems. The 5 year 75K is some insurance but they should have gone 6 year 100,000 miles. I already have a 5 year 60K extended warranty that if I don't use it I get the money back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2004, 10:46 AM   #17
ricksLS1
Master Member

Mt friend has an odessey (I may have posted this a few times) and they have premature auto trans. problems. He got a letter from Honda that they are extending the warranty for 6 year 100,000 miles. Saturn should do the same.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2004, 11:55 AM   #18
Eric

2001 SC2
2007 Outlook XR

Thanks for the replies, everyone. It's tough to gauge how wide-spread these VTi problems are based on the posts on this board.

There will always be one of those cars or VTi's that is just destined to fail, in spite of everything you do or have done to it. I'm am sorry that some of you on this board were recipients of some of these VUEs, and I do hope that the recent discoveries by Saturn will help bring your cars back to long-term working condition!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eric's Reputation
Old 03-15-2004, 10:20 PM   #19
gary p
gary p is on a distinguished road

Roll Eyes

Jeeesh, they offer up a 5 year/75000 mile retro-active, transferable warranty for free (they are legally obligated to do nothing, mind you) and the complaints come pouring in that its not long enough.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gary p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gary p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2004, 12:31 AM   #20
HfxVue
HfxVue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by gary p
Jeeesh, they offer up a 5 year/75000 mile retro-active, transferable warranty for free (they are legally obligated to do nothing, mind you) and the complaints come pouring in that its not long enough.
They may not have to legally, but if they don't they'll lose repeat Saturn customers, and no new customer will touch a Vue if they won't trust the product.

Clarification to what I wrote earlier:
in Canada, it's the powertrain that is covered 5/100000km; the B2B warranty is 3/60000km.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HfxVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HfxVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread