SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: warranty purchase
buy extended warranty 18 37.50%
don't buy extended warranty 29 60.42%
buy a different vehicle 1 2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 01:07 AM   #1
VUEnewbie
VUEnewbie is on a distinguished road

Default extended warranty - buy it or not?

Hi everyone
I am now into my 9th week of waiting for my new VUE to arrive and am wondering what the general consensus is about extended warranties?? Is it something that people recommend I purchase or is the standard warranty sufficient?? I have not owned a Saturn before, and have always dealt with imports which never have been problems during the regular warranty.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Cheers Nancy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEnewbie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEnewbie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2002, 01:25 AM   #2
alanhvue
alanhvue is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Down

You'll almost never have enough covered repairs to pay for the contract. For example, the 6 year/100K miles plan is $2495. Will you have that many repairs between the end of the factory coverage and then?

Although it's not an issue with the zero/zero promtions right now, if you finance the service contract you're also paying interest on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alanhvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alanhvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2002, 01:36 AM   #3
JanCan
JanCan is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Nancy - are you in Canada or USA?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JanCan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JanCan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2002, 08:36 AM   #4
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
Not me. I never buy extended warranties on anything. As long as I have the discipline to keep some cash available in a money market account for unexpected repairs, I figure I'll take the warranty money and invest it. Almost in every case I will then have the money for repairs plus some left over.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2002, 09:19 AM   #5
pitboss
pitboss is on a distinguished road

Default kinda hard sell

When we purchased our '02 LW300 the finance lady at the retailer ( who is a dead ringer for CNBC's Sue Herrara) was professional about presenting the extended warranty packages at the time of signing the zero % paperwork, but when we purchased our VUE 3 wekks ago..BOY did we get the HARD sell from her boss the F&I Mgr. Nice guy just he related all these horror stories etc etc...This is NOT Saturn's style..No big deal just felt like a was being hammered by a cheesey insurance salesman. No offense to professional sales people here on board. Hopefully you know what I mean.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pitboss's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pitboss reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2002, 09:20 AM   #6
skijay
skijay will become famous soon enough

After owning my problematic 2001 L100 that was dumped for a 2003 VUE, I opted for a warranty. I bought a Ryan 5yr/100k "bumper to bumper", $100 deductible. The cost was $1600. I financed it at the 0%.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skijay's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skijay reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2002, 10:58 AM   #7
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by John7
Not me. I never buy extended warranties on anything. As long as I have the discipline to keep some cash available in a money market account for unexpected repairs, I figure I'll take the warranty money and invest it. Almost in every case I will then have the money for repairs plus some left over.
That's what I do. Take that $2,500 (and this is taxable but if you get 0% no finance charge) and put in a money market account. If you get in an accident this will pay the deductable. What if something around the house goes? ex. Water Heater. That money for the extended warranty can not be used except for the vehicle and only if something goes wrong. These warranties don't pay out for 3 years (or 36K miles). Again, this is a personal choice. If you get one I would be careful of non-GM plans. If you get the GM plan service done at Saturn and some of these fly by nights go belly up. Last time I bought one was for a washer and dryer. Company went belly up and had worthless piece of paper.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2002, 11:07 AM   #8
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Happy

get the Saturn extended plan to cover the time period that you plan on keeping your Saturn. my old 92 sc and new 96 sc2 both got valve guide and piston ring replacements to fix oil consumption. that alone was worth the warranty cost. it got the bumper-to-bumper $0 deductible deal from saturn so all i had to do was stop in drop off the car, they gave me loaners and called me when it was time to get my coupe back. no hassles. of course my coupes may have lead harder lives than others from open tracking and autocrossing so i broke more stuff, but hey. i got my moneys worth. saturn used to (still?) have a deal were they'd refund the price of the warranty if you didn't use it?

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2002, 12:13 PM   #9
ricksLS1
Master Member

Shame that so many Saturns have the oil problems. Glad they took care of you. But if they say the comsumption is normal will they fix something like that (They tell propl that it is normal)? It's a shame that Saturn wouldn't stand by a problem that seems to be comon with many Saturns and that you have to buy an extended warranty to get satisfaction. The 2.2 dosen't use a drop of oil. I have 36 K miles and have not heard of any here on this board

Last edited by ricksLS1; 12-05-2002 at 12:19 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2002, 12:50 PM   #10
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Normally I would never consider getting an extended warranty. But with what has happened with my L, I would recommend it now. Saturn has been cheaping out on parts quality (steering racks), and a lot of issues with build quality. May not apply with the VUE, but I would guess that it would. Their service and support has been good, but I think most people would prefer to not have to visit the service dept.

I had over $5000 worth of waranty repairs in the first 2 years/36,000 miles. I'm sure many of the problems have been fixed permenantly, but I don't think it would be outside the realm of possability to rack up another $2000 worth.

Last edited by spork; 12-05-2002 at 12:56 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2002, 01:09 PM   #11
gaf3
gaf3 is on a distinguished road

Arrow Re: extended warranty - buy it or not?

Quote:
Originally posted by VUEnewbie
Hi everyone
I am now into my 9th week of waiting for my new VUE to arrive
Tangent alert:

Nine weeks? What did you order?

I did mine at the beginning of November, and last I was told, it should be here in two or three weeks.

Gary

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gaf3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gaf3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2002, 01:19 PM   #12
Hizzy
Hizzy is on a distinguished road

Hard pushing the sale of an extended warranty have always baffled me. At the sales pitch, the sales person is always pitching the reliablity of the car, but towards the closing of the sale, the sales person takes a 180 and tells you everything bad that *might* happen so you can buy the extended warranty. Its as if he's telling you NOT to buy the car because of all the problems you *might* have with it.

It's not just cars, its electronics too. I can't go to Best Buy and buy something over $50 without someone asking me if I want a Service or Replacement plan with my purchase.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hizzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hizzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2002, 01:31 PM   #13
pitboss
pitboss is on a distinguished road

Sad Bingo

You make a great point about the 180% flip flop from our cars are great to you better pay extra just in case they aren't. In fact we were Video and Audio taped in the Finance Managers office to prove that he had gone over the options and we declined them. of course we live in Tampa Bay area of Florida which although I love the area in general, its like living inside a Jerry Springer episode. Guess they just want to cover their(blank) because of bad sales practices at other "dealerships" as well as the consumer who doesn't remember getting the whole offer (sales pitch) and wants to come back on the saturn retailer AFTER they have problems that the plan would cover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pitboss's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pitboss reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2002, 01:51 PM   #14
ricksLS1
Master Member

Default Re: Bingo

Quote:
Originally posted by pitboss
You make a great point about the 180% flip flop from our cars are great to you better pay extra just in case they aren't. In fact we were Video and Audio taped in the Finance Managers office to prove that he had gone over the options and we declined them. of course we live in Tampa Bay area of Florida which although I love the area in general, its like living inside a Jerry Springer episode. Guess they just want to cover their(blank) because of bad sales practices at other "dealerships" as well as the consumer who doesn't remember getting the whole offer (sales pitch) and wants to come back on the saturn retailer AFTER they have problems that the plan would cover.
Holy Big Brother. Maybe they taped to ensure he tried to sell you these things. The dealer I go to mentions it when you decide to buy and when yu sign the final paers but just mention it once and give you some documentation. The sales manager is the finance person.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-05-2002, 03:03 PM   #15
pk2002
pk2002 is on a distinguished road

Keep the money...if you feel the need to have it, put that amount in saving bonds instead...after all, the dealers are betting that you don't need it or it won't cost that much, why get it?!?

However, if you'll be taking to shop for schedule maintenance, I would buy Saturn's service maitenance warranty (I'm told it saves up to 50% off the regular price).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pk2002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pk2002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2002, 04:00 PM   #16
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Re: extended warranty - buy it or not?

Quote:
Originally posted by gaf3
Tangent alert:

Nine weeks? What did you order?

I did mine at the beginning of November, and last I was told, it should be here in two or three weeks.

Gary
Hey it took 11 weeks to get my VUE. But then again, I'm from Canada and it probably sat at the border for 2 weeks waiting for Customs to let it in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2002, 04:30 PM   #17
DesertPuma
DesertPuma is on a distinguished road

I always get an extended warranty.

To me, it's kind of like an insurance policy (and to a lesser extent On*Star kind of falls into this category, i.e. peace of mind).

Sure you may never use it, but it sure is nice when you need it. Add to the fact that you can add it to the financing, it isn't such a bad deal.

Now a proud Subie owner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DesertPuma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DesertPuma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2002, 04:30 PM   #18
hasitha
hasitha is on a distinguished road

I think another name for extended warrenty is repair insurance. Accident insurance is one thing, but repair insurance is unnecessary in my mind. I'd pocket the money and fix a problem if one occurs after warrenty. The best "Extended Warrenty" I can think of is proper maintenance. If you have a great big fear that this vehicle is going to break down on you, buy a car that you think won't break down.

If you must get repair insurance (cunningly called "Extended Warrenty") get the one offered by the vehicle manufacturer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hasitha's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hasitha reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2002, 04:32 PM   #19
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Actually, taping would be a good idea on the consumer side. Take your camcorder in and record the transaction.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2002, 04:53 PM   #20
VUEnewbie
VUEnewbie is on a distinguished road

Default purchasing the VUE

Hi everyone .. in answer to some of your questions .. I am in Canada, on the west coast.
I ordered the VUE at the end of September and was told it would take 10 - 12 weeks. I just had a telephone message from the dealer saying it wasn't likely to come in now until after Xmas.
I ordered the 5 speed, sunroof, side-curtains, ... nothing too extraordinary. Are other people in Canada experiencing long waits like this?? And is anyone in Canada getting the 0% financing?? It's not here in British Columbia.
And thanks everyone for giving me some great information about the warranty option ... I am thinking I will take the regular and bank the extra money for a rainy day.
cheers, nancy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEnewbie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEnewbie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread