SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2015, 11:07 PM   #1
whitesc1
whitesc1 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC1
Dizzy Aftermarket Stereo Problem

Just got a Pioneer stereo for my 1998 Saturn SC1. I wired everything up right and was testing it out, everything looked good, I turned the headlights on and the interior lights flickered, and the stereo shut off. My first thought was I blown a fuse. Could that be what it is? Because I remembered once I took out the fuse for the door chime, then the stock stereo didn't work. The door chime works and the aftermarket stereo doesn't. Somebody help me out cause i'm confused and it's pissing me off .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whitesc1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whitesc1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whitesc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2015, 11:48 PM   #2
bachands
Advanced Member
bachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to behold

2002 SL2
Default Re: Aftermarket Stereo Problem

Sure sounds like a blown fuse to me. The first one to check is the actual radio fuse. It should be a 10A fuse located behind the kick panel/cover that is on the lower left-hand side of the front passenger area.

And as for the chime fuse, I believe that fuse is indeed necessary for the radio to function. But you state your chime still works so that fuse should be okay.

There is another fuse associated with the radio in the UHJB. It should be a 30A fuse named IGN4. But I think if that one was blown, nothing would happen when you turned the key in any position.

Let us know what you find.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bachands's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bachands reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bachands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:11 AM   #3
saturnman99
saturnman99 is on a distinguished road

It sounds like to me the battery is almost dead OR the alternator is bad.If it was a blown fuse the stereo wouldn't come on at all.What the aftermarket stereos do is if there is a big voltage drop they will shut off same goes for to much voltage. Hope this helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnman99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnman99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:21 PM   #4
whitesc1

1998 SC1

I'll swing by the junk yard real quick and get a fuse and if it's not it then I'll get another 10a fuse for the stereo. I'll let you know how it goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help whitesc1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-30-2015, 02:24 PM   #5
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Sounds to me like you need to double check your radio wiring connections. Your dimmer or illumination wire is connected to something it shouldn't be.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 178K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 185K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:50 PM   #6
whitesc1

1998 SC1

Yeah, most likely gonna be a wiring problem, cause the door chime works and just like bachands said, if the IGN 4 fuse was blown, nothing would happen, everything still works but the stereo, so i'm gonna double check my wiring. I'll let y'all know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-30-2015, 07:27 PM   #7
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

When wiring your stereo I hope you are not having the power go through Pin F5. Here is what can happen and how to fix it:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173989

I happen to have a good fuse panel for a 98/99 with power lock fuse deleted and a pristine Pin F5. I had to get one with a fuse for power locks.

Part of wiring a new stereo means some way to power it so the power does not go through Pin F5 or you run the risk of being towed.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote