SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
Davem1974
Davem1974 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
Dizzy power steering and rack problem

ok ...wow...what a trip this has been. Anyways here it goes....... A year ago i purchased a 2008 Saturn vue XR from a Chevrolet dealership. Of course it was used and at the time had 48000 miles on it and now it has almost 60000 miles. About a month ago randomly i lost the power steering, I have an extended warranty up to 100,000 miles on the drive train so I took it too a repair place I have been with for years and I trust (not a dealership). The mechanic has been in this line of business for about 20+ years and is ASC master certified mechanic and has been at dealers for most of his career. He told me that the rack was bad and if my warranty company allowed it he would like to change the power steering pump as well just to make sure no future problems were to take place. He worked on my truck for about 4 days he changed the rack not once but twice and he changed the power steering pump 4 times and flushed the system several times. When I get the truck back it has power steering but its really stiff and sometimes it stutters or shimmers when your not moving and you turn the wheel. So i take it back to him and he puts an additive in it that designed strictly for my vehicle and says lets drive it for a while and see what happens. Almost immediately within the first 50 miles I notice their is a significant difference in the steering. It had become very easy to turn, no stutter, no shake, PERFECT.....or so it seemed. Later that night I shut it off and when I returned and started the car i had no power steering....I mean non.....no steering period. The steering wheel wouldn't turn at all..... like it was locked, so I step on the gas pedal and I hear a pop and my power steering is perfect again. this has happened 50% of the time now when I start it regardless of how long it has sit for. Does anyone have any ideals???? At this point my mechanic has told me that it may work out its self but if it continues I'm gonna need to bring it back to him and he is gonna change out the rack and pump again but use all dealer parts this time. (at no additional cost to me) both my pump and rack are re-manufactured parts at this time and can anyone tell me if dealer parts in this situation are gonna make that much of a difference and if there is a chance it may just work its self out?????????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Davem1974's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Davem1974 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Davem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: power steering and rack problem

I've read through the 3.6 power steering system tests and first want to say thank the Lord for EPS!!!

I'm not sure if your problem is parts or the ASC master certified mechanic.

I've attached a few extracts and some of the tests are very complicated and some of the pressures mentioned scare the heck out of me.

It appears at least one CRITICAL item of dealer test equipment is needed.

I think I could see how the fellow racked up four pumps and is now going for number five!!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3.6 PS System Test.pdf (81.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: pdf PS Analyzer - J 44721.pdf (52.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: pdf PS Pump Specs.pdf (11.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: pdf PS System Bleeding.pdf (12.4 KB, 28 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote