SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
enystrom8734
enystrom8734 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default 99 SL2 Manual swap into 98 SL2 Auto/Convert to Manual

Hi

I was wondering if any of you had some information for me. I just recently acquired a 1999 SL2 DOHC Manual loaded with PL, PW and Cruise and a seized motor. The frame and interior upholstery are in worse condition than my 98 (so dont want to switch to the newer one) and is currently without title. I mostly got it for the parts.

I know I can basically just take the whole harness out and replace it into the 98 quite easily. To make the old car have all the power options in it. I assume the RKE module just bolts into some place available on the 98? If there is any fancy wiring needed I have access to schematics and the ability to splice things if necessary

Is there any need to switch the computer out of the 99 into the 98 if I leave it an automatic, or does the cruise control need the computer? I will end up making it a manual again at some point, just need the time.

Finally, is the 99 engine worthwhile to fix up and stick in the 98. My current engine is a hog on oil compared to what my 97 used to take.

1998 Saturn SL2 Automatic - Driving
1998 Saturn SL Manual - Donor, scrapped
1997 Saturn SL Manual - Killed the engine, parted and scrapped

Recently Acquired:
1999 Saturn SL2 Manual - Donor

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to enystrom8734's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help enystrom8734 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
enystrom8734 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2010, 06:44 AM   #2
enystrom8734

1998 SL2
Default Re: 99 SL2 Manual swap into 98 SL2 Auto/Convert to Manual

If I were to switch over all the electronics, is there any reason I would NEED the computer for the auto tranny? When I do this swap I was just reading the computer has to support cruise if that is what is being added.

If I switch over all the electronics before the auto/manual swap, will that cause any big problems?

Thanks

Recently Acquired:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help enystrom8734 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-01-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by enystrom8734 View Post
I assume the RKE module just bolts into some place available on the 98? If there is any fancy wiring needed I have access to schematics and the ability to splice things if necessary.
Nothing fancy, but you have to install the switches, motor, etc. into the 98's doors. I've not done this but read that it is very tedious.

Quote:
Is there any need to switch the computer out of the 99 into the 98 if I leave it an automatic or does the cruise control need the computer? I will end up making it a manual again at some point, just need the time.
Why not swap over the engine, computer (PCM) and trans from the 99 at the same time?

Assuming your 98 does not have cruise now? The PCM must be set both for cruise and the proper transmission. If you swap the 99 PCM into the 98, it already has cruise turned on but will not know what to do with the auto trans...
Quote:
Finally, is the 99 engine worthwhile to fix up and stick in the 98. My current engine is a hog on oil compared to what my 97 used to take.
That depends entirely on how well the 99 engine was maintained... may burn no oil, may be worse than the 97. Only way to be sure would be to do the install, or rebuild the 99 engine prior to install.

When I do this swap I was just reading the computer has to support cruise if that is what is being added.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
enystrom8734

1998 SL2

First, thanks for the reply...

Well the engine in the 99 is seized like a rock, would have to rebuild to put that in, might as well do the rebuild on it in order to reduce oil usage prior to install with the manual like you said. Otherwise the Different Racing Auto/Manual swap seems pretty easy.

Also, the donor car is BASICALLY the same color (its forest green while mines the lighter green) so im swapping all panels hood (which had a hole in my old one) rear fascia (which was cracked from previous owners accident, found out I had to punch out the rear quarter body to hold the nice not broken panels...) etc... So I was just going to swap all the doors onto the car to minimize interior door work, just need to switch lock cylinders then.

Your are right, the current 98 does not have cruise, and my father had also just let me know about the need for the PCM with the auto if i do the swap. I'll probably swap over the components and just leave them sitting there until I get the manual in there. Just need a nice weekend to get the manual swap done without any interruptions

Back to interior wiring, the only thing I wonder is how tedious it is to replace the whole wiring harness. I was going to steal the Dash Cluster since it had the digital OD instead of the analogue one... Just wondering if too difficult, Im pretty handy with wire cutters and a soldering iron :P

Again, thanks!

Recently Acquired:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!