SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Relay > Relay Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
robertcook1988
robertcook1988 is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-3
Dizzy 05 Relay New Purchase

Hey Guys craziest thing ever I have bought a relay too. I got a 2005 Relay with 127k miles on it got a great deal had a check engine light on though. So bought the van went to autozone had code ran for a downstream oxygen sensor. Got this replaced think I might have got a bunk sensor. Anyways car still has check engine light on took it to Midas they ran a pressure check on the exhaust and came to the conclusion that the Catalayic converter needed to be replaced so we did that. Still have the same codes for the oxygen sensor though they are.
Looked these up on the internet and this is what i get

P0140 - 02 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
P0138 - O2 Oxygen Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
P2A01 - O2 Sensor Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1, Sensor 2)

I just want my check engine light off anyone have any ideas??

Also have the light flickering problem i read about a voltage regulator on the altenator that needs to be replaced????

Oh yeah one other thing. When i drive through a puddle it makes the engine squeak bad Is there some sort of cover for the bottom of the engine that maybe i'm missing or something?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robertcook1988's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robertcook1988 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robertcook1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
Bacdef
Bacdef is on a distinguished road

2006 RELAY-2
Default Re: 05 Relay New Purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcook1988 View Post
Hey Guys craziest thing ever I have bought a relay too. I got a 2005 Relay with 127k miles on it got a great deal had a check engine light on though. So bought the van went to autozone had code ran for a downstream oxygen sensor. Got this replaced think I might have got a bunk sensor. Anyways car still has check engine light on took it to Midas they ran a pressure check on the exhaust and came to the conclusion that the Catalayic converter needed to be replaced so we did that. Still have the same codes for the oxygen sensor though they are.
Looked these up on the internet and this is what i get

P0140 - 02 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
P0138 - O2 Oxygen Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
P2A01 - O2 Sensor Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1, Sensor 2)

I just want my check engine light off anyone have any ideas??

Also have the light flickering problem i read about a voltage regulator on the altenator that needs to be replaced????

Oh yeah one other thing. When i drive through a puddle it makes the engine squeak bad Is there some sort of cover for the bottom of the engine that maybe i'm missing or something?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Hi Robert and welcome to the wonderful world of the Relay...I guess.
O2 sensors and catalytic converters are EXPENSIVE! I hope proper troubleshooting was done and those parts really did need to be replaced. Cats do not go bad unless something makes them go bad...I.E. a misfiring engine throwing fuel vapors into it causing overheating.

First
1. you bring the car to a mechanic with a check engine light on.
2. mechanic does stuff, replaces parts.
3. you pick the car up, check engine light is still on, you drive home.

I kind of have a problem with step three there. Unless we were not told the whole story, im my opinion, you need to go back to the mechanic and get proper service for your coin.

Second
Service was performed, parts were replaced. Have the codes been cleared ? If they were cleared and came back you still have your original problem(s). If not you may be looking at a lit MIL that should be off.

Third
I have the pulsating light issue too. I've had a rebuilt alternator put in because the original one had developed cracked diodes. The pulsation changed. It used to swing from way too dim to too bright. Since the replacement the light go from normal to too bright. I think I'll have to get the regulator replaced but YMMV. Bottom line is have it checked and ask to be shown the evidence before you let them replace anything. Search these forums for the technical service bulletin about the regulator.

Fourth
Deep puddle ? High speed ?
The Relay's owner manual textualy states not to drive the vehicle, at speed, through water puddles or else things will happen. I kid you not. Look it up. Its in there. Squeaking after driving through a puddle is probably slipping belts.

Please let us know what happens and be smart about this. Ask to be show the evidence before letting a shop swap parts.

2006 Relay 2
2006 Hyundai Elantra
2004 Honda CB600F
1998 Toyota 4Runner
1997 Ski-Doo Formula-Z 583
1975 Suzuki RV90

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bacdef's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bacdef reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bacdef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:44 AM   #3
robertcook1988
robertcook1988 is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-3

Hey so recently found out from the shop that changed the oxygen sensor that the part they put in may have been bad so they ordered a new one and I went 4 days and 450 miles with no check engine light and it turned on today

P2A01

Makes me so angry still confused why this problem can't be fixed by mechanics.

First
Yes I guess I left out I drive for 4 hours before the light turned back on.

Second
Yes codes were cleared

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robertcook1988's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robertcook1988 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robertcook1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
Bacdef
Bacdef is on a distinguished road

2006 RELAY-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcook1988 View Post
Hey so recently found out from the shop that changed the oxygen sensor that the part they put in may have been bad so they ordered a new one and I went 4 days and 450 miles with no check engine light and it turned on today

P2A01

Makes me so angry still confused why this problem can't be fixed by mechanics.

First
Yes I guess I left out I drive for 4 hours before the light turned back on.

Second
Yes codes were cleared
Your story is starting to make a lot more sense now , thanks for the details.
Since this is the only code coming back a dud sensor does look like a possibility now. If the problem persists after swaping it out again the fault may be in the wiring and connections from the sensor to the ECU (edit: or the sensor's heating circuit). Sounds like progresss is being made, please let us know of further developements.

2006 Relay 2
2006 Hyundai Elantra
2004 Honda CB600F
1998 Toyota 4Runner
1997 Ski-Doo Formula-Z 583
1975 Suzuki RV90

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bacdef's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bacdef reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bacdef is offline   Reply With Quote