SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2019, 08:50 PM   #1
Xander889
Xander889 is on a distinguished road

Default P0420 Issue

Hi,

I am having an issue with an 07 ion 2.4l. It is throwing the P0420 catalyst below threshold. 02 sensors have been replaced. Upstream reads a bouncing voltage from .2-7, with a +- 5-7% STFT. Downstream is a constant 99.2% (assuming it has nothing to do with fuel trim and readings come from the upstream) and a .67 voltage. (Live data)... Thrown code read an upstream of 0.0% STFT, and LTFT of -2.3%. So, with these numbers I am assuming that the catalytic converter is fine. Or am I wrong? The cat was replace 4 years ago, and I've had no codes since then other than some fuel trim balance code that comes and goes after some fuel injector cleaner and/or a full tank of high octane fuel.

the dilemma. If it's not the cat or 02 sensors, what else could lead to this code?

Thanks ahead of time!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Xander889's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Xander889 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Xander889 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2019, 11:37 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: P0420 Issue

If I'm not mistaken, P0420 applies to all vehicles using precat and post cat O2 sensors. The precat sensor is the important one as its used in closed loop engine running for adjusting fuel mixtures in compliance with emissions mandates. The post cat sensor is used to monitor catalytic converter efficiency. P0420 usually points to a faulty catcon. The operation of each O2 sensor is different from each other.

The precat O2 sensor monitors combustion directly off the exhaust manifold to provide feedback to the engine computer. The ecm or pcm has emissions programs to run the engine as efficiently as possible to pass federal and state emissions. Closed loop mode is when the engine is at operating temperatures and the O2 sensor is heated from exhaust gases to produce signals. The fluctuating voltages is the frequency of monitoring lean to rich to lean fuel mixtures (oxygen left from combustion). Ideal numbers vary between 0.4-0.8 volts. The catcon, when heated to operating temperatures, converts exhaust byproducts to CO, HC, NOx and water vapor. The downstream O2 sensor monitors catcon efficiency so its output tends to remain steady at one voltage.

With both O2 sensors replaced, either an exhaust leak occurred upstream of the post cat sensor or the catcon is worn out. Damage to catcons can occur with fuel additives not recommended, adding leaded octane booster (lead clogs catcons) or other mods in attempts to generate more power where excessive fuel isn't burned in cylinders and exhausts into the catcon to fuel a higher operating temperature than catcons are designed to run resulting in melting internal components.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:49 AM   #3
Xander889

Thanks for your response.

It would be surprising to me if the catcon has gone bad in a short time. I do not modify my car and keep it stock performance wise, so this should not be an issue either. hmm, I guess I could have a small leak, but aurally nothing out of the norm can be heard.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Xander889 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2019, 07:24 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Original Saturn warranty was 3 yrs or 36k mikes. Emissions systems including exhaust was 8 yrs or 80k miles. While many choose to cling to outdated long term life on parts long after new car warranties expired on items automatic xmissions, engines, etc, and complain about them failing, the reality has always been once a new vehicle warranty expires, nothing is guaranteed to last forever. Parts wear out whether in or out of warranty. With exhaust systems, GM adopting dull stainless exhaust systems prolonged their lifetime usefulness. This allowed longer warranties on the EFI/emissions/exhaust systems. Since every vehicle manufacturer has zero control on what each driver fills their vehicles with fuel, adds additives from hearsay, old wives tales, afraid of being stranded in the dead of winter or long lonely stretch of road, all manner of fuel treatments winds up as exhaust byproducts that can affect catcon longevity.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:04 AM   #5
Xander889

Good to know. Thanks for your help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2019, 04:26 PM   #6
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

An exhaust leak in the flex pipe between the exhaust manifold and the downpipe is very possible. They have a very high failure rate in all the Ion, Cobalt, HHR, and G5 cars.

I can tell you from experience that the sound of a leaking flex pipe is very subtle, but definitely audible. You won't hear it unless you know exactly what sound you're listening for. I didn't realize I was hearing mine leak until after it was fixed and the noise disappeared. It sounds like a constant muffled rattle coming from the middle of the firewall that is louder whenever you put your foot on the gas. I think it sounds like beans rubbing the inside of a pair of maracas.

Luckily, there are many companies that offer an inexpensive replacement that can be easily installed by an exhaust shop.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 181K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 193K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 36K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote