SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2005, 12:14 AM   #1
popp
popp is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
Default Questions about towing with the RL have been answered!!

This weekend we took the RL out on it's maiden voyage with 1900 lbs trailer in tow. We camped about 80 miles from home. We had an average speed of 70 m\hr and dropping to about 60-65 on big hills. I even hit 85 without breaking a sweat!! There was no problems what so ever......It really didn't feel like I was towing anything. I checked the engine for smells and burns and nothing. We have the AWD V6. What ever the dealer says about lack of air flow is garbage.

Note: KEEP IN MIND I HAVE THE K&N KIT AND A CATBACK MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST INSTALLED.........It does not preform like a stock RL.

I had two options for installing the hitch...........I used the draw-tite class 3 hitch.

1: weld on another receiver tube on existing hitch (lowering the receiver)
2: notch out bumper and use manufactered receiving tube.
After talking to my weld guy and several other welders, they all recomended that I notch a hole as modifying a hitch to pull 2000lbs is not a good idea. Not that the weld wouldn't hold but that the hitch was designed to pull at the level it is not 2" lower. The bolts attaching the hitch to the frame may not hold. So I notched the bumper and mounted rubber trim. Even my bodyman thought it was factory.......you guys judge for yourselves.

Here are some pics......

'05 Vue RL (Some Mods)
'05 VW Passat Wagon TDi (1st @ '08 World Of Wheels)
'93 VW Jetta (1st @ '03-'07 World Of Wheels)
'61 VW Beetle (Resto Project)

Last edited by popp; 09-06-2005 at 12:20 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to popp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help popp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
popp is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2005, 12:15 AM   #2
popp

2005 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Questions about towing with the RL have been answered!!

While i'm at it, here are some pics of the smoked tails and front corners

and some sunset & piaa xenon front signal/park lights (HATE orange markers!!)

'05 Vue RL (Some Mods)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to popp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help popp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-06-2005, 06:50 AM   #3
cleblanc92
cleblanc92 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

Well popp, you have restored my hesitation in hacking into the bumper. It looks great!

What did you use to cut the bumper notch? Dremel?

Thanks for the great pics!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cleblanc92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cleblanc92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cleblanc92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:58 PM   #4
popp

2005 VUE Red Line

Thanks,

I used an air powered cutting tool at work. It's like a dremel but bigger and quicker. A dremel would work fine, but i figured since I have access to a hoist and air tools.......then use it. The rubber trim is from a fender flare kit which we sell. You can buy just the trim at any automotive parts store.

'05 Vue RL (Some Mods)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to popp's Reputation
Old 09-06-2005, 02:28 PM   #5
cleblanc92

2004 VUE Red Line

Very cool. What's a good estimate you can give me for your cost on the hitch and extension?

I just want to know how much I'll need to budget for this project.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cleblanc92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-06-2005, 02:28 PM   #6
cleblanc92

2004 VUE Red Line
Thumbs Up Re: Questions about towing with the RL have been answered!!

Very cool. What's a good estimate you can give me for your cost on the hitch and extension?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2005, 04:29 PM   #7
popp

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleblanc92

I'm in canada, so I don't know your labour costs......but at our shop we charge $214 for the hitch, $50 to install the hitch, $45 for the Wiring package, $50 to install the wiring, $10 for the 7 pin plug and holder, and $35 for the ball mount. Notching the bumper would be about $50 also. So the grand total if you were a regular customer, you'd pay about $485 CAD(including taxes). If the costs are about the same thats about $400 USD.

Now I paid about $105 USD total as I got the hitch for cost, bought the tech lunch to install everything and notched the bumper myself.........

Note: I have the 7 pin plug as my trailor is 7pin and I also ran a dedicated 12v power lead from the battery to charge the trailer batteries while connected.

Draw-tite class 3 part # is DT75195

'05 Vue RL (Some Mods)

Last edited by popp; 09-06-2005 at 04:37 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to popp's Reputation
Old 09-06-2005, 09:34 PM   #8
jrforget
jrforget is on a distinguished road

Default Questions about towing with the RL

Hi Popp,
I really enjoyed looking at your pictures and reading your messages about your Vue. I was particularly impressed by your work on the hitch. Our local dealer told me that a hitch could not ne installed on the RL... I am looking for a used Vue 6 cyl AWD (2004 or younger to get the Honda engine) to pull my boat (2700 lb trailer included) on short distances. Any comments?

I am intrigued by your <dedicated 12v power lead from the battery to charge the trailer batteries while connected>. How does that work? Thanks.

jrf in Gatineau Qc

Quote:
Originally Posted by popp
I'm in canada, so I don't know your labour costs......but at our shop we charge $214 for the hitch, $50 to install the hitch, $45 for the Wiring package, $50 to install the wiring, $10 for the 7 pin plug and holder, and $35 for the ball mount. Notching the bumper would be about $50 also. So the grand total if you were a regular customer, you'd pay about $485 CAD(including taxes). If the costs are about the same thats about $400 USD.

Now I paid about $105 USD total as I got the hitch for cost, bought the tech lunch to install everything and notched the bumper myself.........

Note: I have the 7 pin plug as my trailor is 7pin and I also ran a dedicated 12v power lead from the battery to charge the trailer batteries while connected.

Draw-tite class 3 part # is DT75195

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jrforget's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jrforget reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jrforget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:38 AM   #9
popp

2005 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Questions about towing with the RL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrforget
Hi Popp,
I really enjoyed looking at your pictures and reading your messages about your Vue. I was particularly impressed by your work on the hitch. Our local dealer told me that a hitch could not ne installed on the RL... I am looking for a used Vue 6 cyl AWD (2004 or younger to get the Honda engine) to pull my boat (2700 lb trailer included) on short distances. Any comments?

I am intrigued by your <dedicated 12v power lead from the battery to charge the trailer batteries while connected>. How does that work? Thanks.

jrf in Gatineau Qc
Thanks,
As far as i'm concerned, the reason they told you it cant be installed is because of the RL bumber (facia) The engine and drivetrain is the same as a regular v6.......they say that the front bumper doesn't allow as much air to the intake, but if you look at a regular vue and an RL, the RL's bumper opening is way bigger. I can only see the hitch install being a problem. So if your willing to modify your bumper or modify the vue orientated hitch then you shouldn't have a problem. Always make sure they won't void your warrenty if you do decide to install a hitch. (I got mine in writing from the dealership, as long as it was install by a service tech).

If you are pulling 2700lbs, I would at least change to the K&N filter kit as it allows atleast 30%+ more air then the stock box. But with the honda pilot 250hp engine you should be able to tow 3500lbs...........

As for the 12v lead. My trailer is wired for power (7pin) so we put in a 7 pin plug with the direct feed from the battery. Some ppl will attach it to their accessory switch, so that it will only power when the truck is running, but i like to charge while i'm parked if need be. If you talk to any hitch/wiring install shop, they'll know what your talking about. Most 7pins consist of stop, park, left turn, right turn, brakes, 12v power, and an optional extra. Since I don't have trailer brakes I only needed to connect 5 of the 7 but still needed the 7pin receiver outlet. In your case pulling 2700lbs, you'll probably have trailer brakes.

Hope this helps.

'05 Vue RL (Some Mods)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to popp's Reputation
Old 09-07-2005, 10:24 AM   #10
SiriusVue
SiriusVue is on a distinguished road

Pics look great. Funny..I just tinted my tails and corners last week. I went a slightly differant rout..I left a small area of amber in the front and a small area of clear for the reverse lights.

I wasn't to happy with the lack of gloss so I have been wet sanding and polishing them. I'll post up some pics later in the week.

Great job!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SiriusVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SiriusVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SiriusVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:02 AM   #11
TXVue04
Advanced Member
TXVue04 is on a distinguished road

Great job, I like the way you kept everything nice and neat, the hitch is barely noticeable

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXVue04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXVue04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXVue04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 11:32 PM   #12
dogturd21
dogturd21 is on a distinguished road

Good job: I specifically did not buy a RL because I wanted to tow, and I did not know if there was any other differences besides the rear fascia. Too bad I did not know this two months ago, or perhaps I would have gotten a RL instead.

As for buying a hitch, make sure in selecting the hitch vendor that the hitch is V-5 rated, which is a quality standard. It also helps if the company is ISO-9001 certified. If the hitch is a true bolt-on, any shade-tree mechanic or owner could put it on. Draw-Tite and Hidden-Hitch are two good brands.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dogturd21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dogturd21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dogturd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:12 AM   #13
popp

2005 VUE Red Line

draw-tite, reese, and hidden hitch are the same company.......(draw-tite owns them all). It's like gm, saturn, cadillac......all proceeds go into the same guys pocket.

'05 Vue RL (Some Mods)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to popp's Reputation
Old 09-27-2005, 02:17 AM   #14
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

There is a hitch made specifically for the Red Line that does not require cutting the bumper. Both fotovue and Dante can give you more information on how to get it - Dante has it installed on his VUE and can tell you how it performs.

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:45 AM   #15
cleblanc92

2004 VUE Red Line

I'd rather head with what Popp has done. There's no hangin under the bumper that way. I'll bet Dante's custom hitch has left a few marks with his hitch because of how low it is. I admire those guys for working with what they have been given....It's really too bad the stock RL bumper could not have a notch from the factory.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2005, 09:45 PM   #16
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleblanc92
I'd rather head with what Popp has done. There's no hangin under the bumper that way. I'll bet Dante's custom hitch has left a few marks with his hitch because of how low it is. I admire those guys for working with what they have been given....It's really too bad the stock RL bumper could not have a notch from the factory.
Left a few marks on the concrete at the end of my driveway, yes. On my Vue, no. There's a pretty decent gap between the top of the hitch and the bottom of the facia. I really didn't want to go cutting the bumper, so I deal with having my hitch lower. If I ever get a trailer for my bike for track days, I will have a height adapter neck made for me, but for the time being, my cargo platform works ok, as long as I don't try to drive into driveways.

http://dante.myftp.org/images/vue/20...ight%20014.jpg

http://dante.myftp.org/images/vue/20...itch%20028.jpg

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:58 PM   #17
popp

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazie
There is a hitch made specifically for the Red Line that does not require cutting the bumper. Both fotovue and Dante can give you more information on how to get it - Dante has it installed on his VUE and can tell you how it performs.
its not made oem for the rl it was modified to work.......I really like the idea of not cutting the facia, however dante's and votovue's is a factory hitch cut and welded. This is all you need if your pulling 500lbs or use it for a bike rack, however in my case i'm pulling a 2000lb trailer and cant take the chance that the lowered/modified/welded hitch will take the weight.

And......i'm lowering the RL atleast another 2" so if i would have went with the modified hitch, I may have run into to many problems with clearance.

'05 Vue RL (Some Mods)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to popp's Reputation
Old 09-28-2005, 09:17 PM   #18
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by popp
its not made oem for the rl it was modified to work.......I really like the idea of not cutting the facia, however dante's and votovue's is a factory hitch cut and welded. This is all you need if your pulling 500lbs or use it for a bike rack, however in my case i'm pulling a 2000lb trailer and cant take the chance that the lowered/modified/welded hitch will take the weight.

And......i'm lowering the RL atleast another 2" so if i would have went with the modified hitch, I may have run into to many problems with clearance.

Popp -- you are right, we don't really claim that it will hold the 3500 pounds that the (stock) Vue is rated for, but I don't think I would ever need to pull that much, nor would I want to. My dad has a suburban and 2 V8 pickups I can use, I will use his gear before I thrash my tender Honda tranny.

If you lowered my RL another 2", I'd never make it out of the driveway. If you dropped yours 2 inches, you'd probably scrape coming out of my driveway. The bottom of my hitch is exactly 8" off the ground on a flat, level surface with my subs in the hatch and no passengers. I'm sure it drops a couple inches with a full load of people inside (2 up front, 2 in the rear), and it's probably about 4 or 5 inches off the ground with the cargo platform on the back with the mower and stuff loaded. I'll measure that next time I load it up-- that platform itself weighs like 60 pounds!

Like I said, I can see myself buying a small flatbed single bike trailer for my motorcycle at some point, and the weight on that would be under a grand, all told, with bike (400#) and trailer (~500#) and gear (<100#), so I'm not too worried about my "rigged" hitch failing. The welds are really thick, and the guy used good materials. For a ton, I would be less secure about it, though.

BTW, how are you planning on lowering your RL another 2"? The most we've ever seen anyone drop (without baggin' it) is 2", and you supposedly run out of camber adjustment at that point. Are you planning on having some serious negative camber? Where are you going to get the springs?

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #19
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by popp View Post
The rubber trim is from a fender flare kit which we sell. You can buy just the trim at any automotive parts store.
If you're still around, do you have a brand name or part number for the trim? I was thinking door edge molding but don't think it would curve so tight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:34 PM   #20
JakeBigDog2
JakeBigDog2 is on a distinguished road

I had two options for installing the hitch...........I used the draw-tite class 3 hitch.

1: weld on another receiver tube on existing hitch (lowering the receiver)
2: notch out bumper and use manufactered receiving tube.
After talking to my weld guy and several other welders, they all recomended that I notch a hole as modifying a hitch to pull 2000lbs is not a good idea. Not that the weld wouldn't hold but that the hitch was designed to pull at the level it is not 2" lower. The bolts attaching the hitch to the frame may not hold. So I notched the bumper and mounted rubber trim. Even my bodyman thought it was factory.......you guys judge for yourselves.

Hey POPP, if you still subscribe to this forum, could you please post closer-up pics of the trim cutout for your hitch? How did your radius the corners of the cutout? I may be able to buy an 04 Vue RL with only 64,000 miles for about $4000. Sound like a good buy?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JakeBigDog2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JakeBigDog2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JakeBigDog2 is offline   Reply With Quote