SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
MikeHarrison
MikeHarrison has a spectacular aura aboutMikeHarrison has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Crunching sound from front suspension in cold weather

When the outside temperature is near freezing or below, going over a dip in the road, or anything that causes the front end to drop, will cause a momentary crunching sound. To some, it might sound as though the tires are hitting the inside of the wheel wells, but after driving several miles, the crunching noise goes away, as though something has 'warmed up.'

This is a 2007 Ion 2 4-door with 30,000 miles. Never been in an accident.

Any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeHarrison's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeHarrison reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeHarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Crunching sound from front suspension in cold weather

Front sway bar to frame bushings are the most likely cause of the noise. Common winter problem in the IONs.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
MikeHarrison
MikeHarrison has a spectacular aura aboutMikeHarrison has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Is there any damage being done? Should I have them looked at?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MikeHarrison reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

It couldn't hurt to have them checked. My current Ion makes this sound when it's cold out and my '04 did it, too. The only difference I've noticed is my '06 doesn't go through bushings as often as my '04 did.

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
MikeHarrison

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I'll have the bushings inspected.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
Zosozeppelin
Advanced Member
Zosozeppelin is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys View Post
It couldn't hurt to have them checked. My current Ion makes this sound when it's cold out and my '04 did it, too. The only difference I've noticed is my '06 doesn't go through bushings as often as my '04 did.
How often have you changed yours? I bought mine used at the dealership at 53k and they replaced them when I test drove it. I'm at 85k now.

Elizabeth

'06 Level 3 Quad Coupe. 140K as of 5-3-15. Traded for 2015 Chevy SS. Gone but not forgotten.

Current: 2017 2LT/RS 50th Anniversary Camaro

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zosozeppelin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zosozeppelin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zosozeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
MikeHarrison

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Haven't changed mine at all. Bought the car new in Dec 2006; it has just over 30,000 miles on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

Zoso, my current Ion went ~80K on its original front bushings. I had them changed out in late October. I bought the '06 new with just 6 miles on its odometer. The '04 Ion, also bought new, went through at least two sets and I only had that car for approximately 35K before trading it in on this one.

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
MikeHarrison

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Does this mean that GM recognized a bushing problem in the earlier models and have improved on them, or did you drive your newer Ion in 'less stressful' conditions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #10
Zosozeppelin
Advanced Member

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys View Post
Zoso, my current Ion went ~80K on its original front bushings. I had them changed out in late October. I bought the '06 new with just 6 miles on its odometer. The '04 Ion, also bought new, went through at least two sets and I only had that car for approximately 35K before trading it in on this one.
Thanks! Mine haven't acted up since they were replaced 30k ago, but I'm figuring it in as regular maintenance since they're so problematic.

Elizabeth

'06 Level 3 Quad Coupe. 140K as of 5-3-15. Traded for 2015 Chevy SS. Gone but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Zosozeppelin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
Zosozeppelin
Advanced Member

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHarrison View Post
Does this mean that GM recognized a bushing problem in the earlier models and have improved on them, or did you drive your newer Ion in 'less stressful' conditions?
I doubt they ever changed the design. Those GM engineers are lazyyyy. Kidding, but I would assume they didn't since we hear about them being worn across all model years so often.

Elizabeth

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #12
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHarrison View Post
Is there any damage being done? Should I have them looked at?
Won't damage anything. Just really irritating.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #13
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I've had mine changed once already, and my car has 39000 miles on it already. there really isn't much room for improvement on the current design for the sway bar or control arm bushings. the design is fundamentally flawed in the case of the control arms, and the rubber is at fault with the sway bar bushings.

poly bushings are ideal for the sway bar, and should last a lot longer, and poly bushings will be better on the lower control arm, but there's no fixing the design.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:17 PM   #14
Zosozeppelin
Advanced Member

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

You only have 39k on your car? You either live in the city or you never drive!

Elizabeth

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #15
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I wouldn't call it a "city", but it's been driven almost every day since I bought it 5 years ago, including many 700+ mile (one way) trips and more 50-100 mile trips than I can remember. I plan my trips to be as efficient as possible, consolidate runs, ect... But I also periodically just go for a drive on a country road and drop the hammer between the increased power and the sway bar in the back, this thing loves the twisties, and I love to drive it, I just try to be smart and not pay a ton for fuel.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #16
Zosozeppelin
Advanced Member

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

That's a good idea. I consolidate my trips, but for me to go ANYWHERE I have to drive at least 13 miles. It doesn't help that I'm commuting this semester to school. I was supposed to be carpooling but the person I'm doing it with skips too much

Elizabeth

REWARD EXCELLENCE!