SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2
Default Brake Rotors

Is there a difference between standard rotors and rotors of an ABS equipped car? Anything different about replacing I should know? I searched the internet and noticed something about a ring? I don't know the AURA is only my second car and the only ABS. The front rotors have warped and I need to get new ones, and not the junky GM ones. Since I can't get them through Advance Auto Parts I'm looking here....Brake Rotors Might as well get better and a lifetimes warranty on warpage. I'm looking at the dimple and slotted with free brake pads.

Although partsamerica.com (Advancesd online store) lists rotors I can't make sense of if the price is for one or two. ~$85 listed. So I looked for my SW2 and the site states 2 per car there, but not under the rotors for the AURA? I'm confused.

The link also has standard(non drilled/slotted) rotors, and those list at $73 each. So is it safe to say that the $85 on partsamerica.com is for each? If so at $85 x 2 is $170, or for $202 I can get the dimple slotted and brakes pads.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

Last edited by metgol; 09-22-2008 at 06:58 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE
Default Re: Brake Rotors

What about the warranty dude? Are you out of it? Because they'll replace/turn them for you no problem!

I personally am going to have them work on my rotors until my warranty is up, then I'll buy slotted/drilled rotors.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
metgol

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

If they were closer I might go. Per a thread a while back I can't make sense of when any warranty on the brakes/rotors expires. I am against turning the rotors. Removing any material just makes the warping ever more so possible again.

I'm just passed 23k miles not long ago and am 2 years (December) into the 3/36 warranty.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-23-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
AuraDrvr89
Master Member

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by metgol View Post
If they were closer I might go. Per a thread a while back I can't make sense of when any warranty on the brakes/rotors expires. I am against turning the rotors. Removing any material just makes the warping ever more so possible again.

I'm just passed 23k miles not long ago and am 2 years (December) into the 3/36 warranty.
Well it wouldn't hurt trying

-Joel

Then:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Is there a difference between standard rotors and rotors of an ABS equipped car? Anything different about replacing I should know? I searched the internet and noticed something about a ring? I don't know the AURA is only my second car and the only ABS. The front rotors have warped and I need to get new ones, and not the junky GM ones. Since I can't get them through Advance Auto Parts I'm looking here....Brake Rotors Might as well get better and a lifetimes warranty on warpage. I'm looking at the dimple and slotted with free brake pads.

Although partsamerica.com (Advancesd online store) lists rotors I can't make sense of if the price is for one or two. ~$85 listed. So I looked for my SW2 and the site states 2 per car there, but not under the rotors for the AURA? I'm confused.

The link also has standard(non drilled/slotted) rotors, and those list at $73 each. So is it safe to say that the $85 on partsamerica.com is for each? If so at $85 x 2 is $170, or for $202 I can get the dimple slotted and brakes pads.
In the days of yore, when few cars were equipped with ABS, there were some manufacturers that had separate part numbers for rotors that had the magic ring to tickle the ABS sensor. Given that most cars in the US are now equipped with ABS standard, I suspect that the rotors will likely be universal for both ABS and non-ABS variants of a vehicle. If not, you could always punch out the ABS ring on the old one and press it into the new one.

Also, rotor prices are usually for 1 rotor so you need to multiply by 2 to get the total price for a set. I've been happy with the ATE slotted rotors from Tirerack. For the Aura they're $63 each.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
metgol

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Hey Ritz they only have rear rotors on tirerack. Odd to me. I need front rotors, the rear I'm not worried so much. Thus I may just go through the site I posted and get some dimpled/slotted in black. Then some silver calipar paint.

Having a solid rear disc is not to bad to me, as most of the rear brake is hidden behind the wheel. So here goes $200.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #7
metgol

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraDrvr89 View Post
Well it wouldn't hurt trying
I know, but it is 45 minutes in the other direction. I do pass another Saturn-ship on my way to school. I've been there once and wouldn't trust them on more work. Alignments are serviced out, plus they seem kind of "special."

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #8
AuraDrvr89
Master Member

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
I know, but it is 45 minutes in the other direction. I do pass another Saturn-ship on my way to school. I've been there once and wouldn't trust them on more work. Alignments are serviced out, plus they seem kind of "special."
"special?" Ouch.. haha.

Well, I'll probably do powerslots too, as it has now been 10k miles since the fronts were replaced, and the rears were turned.. Meaning, it is probably nearing pulsation time.. I'll have them screw with them as long as they can/will.. then spring for the powerslots.

PLUS, they look sweet. I think I might coat the calipers when I do that too.

-Joel

Then:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2008, 05:54 PM   #9
metgol

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Well I'm now $202.55 poorer.

Front Dimple and Slotted rotors in black and "free" pads. Now the waiting begins, no more gripping the wheel to slow on the freeway, coming up. Now I need to go buy some silver caliper paint.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2008, 07:19 PM   #10
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Hey Ritz they only have rear rotors on tirerack. Odd to me. I need front rotors, the rear I'm not worried so much. Thus I may just go through the site I posted and get some dimpled/slotted in black. Then some silver calipar paint.

Having a solid rear disc is not to bad to me, as most of the rear brake is hidden behind the wheel. So here goes $200.
Bummer. I put these on the VUE when the OEM rotors pooped the bed at about 15k miles. I like them a lot.

Good luck with the swap.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:33 PM   #11
froggy81500
froggy81500 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
In the days of yore, when few cars were equipped with ABS, there were some manufacturers that had separate part numbers for rotors that had the magic ring to tickle the ABS sensor. Given that most cars in the US are now equipped with ABS standard, I suspect that the rotors will likely be universal for both ABS and non-ABS variants of a vehicle. If not, you could always punch out the ABS ring on the old one and press it into the new one.

Also, rotor prices are usually for 1 rotor so you need to multiply by 2 to get the total price for a set. I've been happy with the ATE slotted rotors from Tirerack. For the Aura they're $63 each.

Cheers,

the reluctor ring for the ABS sensor isn't placed on the rotor because it would be impossible to mount the sensor where it could read it. Most ABS equipped vehicles have the reluctor on the CV shaft or as part of the wheel bearing.

And according to the Saturn dealer I go to, they told me 6 months or 6,000 miles on brakes on a new car. I had warped rotors and balked at their $350 price to do them, so I changed them myself, with better parts than dealer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to froggy81500's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help froggy81500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote