SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2006, 09:28 AM   #1
spilner
spilner is on a distinguished road

Default Audio System

hey everyone, i have a big q. I just bought a harman kardon drive + play ipod interface. I have an '04 Ion 3 Coupe and I want to install it myself. Is there anywhere I can get a repair manual or a tutorial on how to remove the head unit and such? Thanks alot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spilner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spilner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spilner is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2006, 02:00 PM   #2
runformoney?
runformoney? is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Audio System

its prolly worth the $50 to go to best buy and do it,lol cuz its a ***** but u can go to crutchfield and they have alot of printable instructions and vids
have fun
nate

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to runformoney?'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help runformoney? reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
runformoney? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 05:30 PM   #3
06_Ion2
06_Ion2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

pull of the cover around the shift knob and then take the dash cover off around the radio just pull there all cliped in just dont force it 2 much take it easy on pulling it off.. the factory deck comes off with 4 bolt/screws that are easily accessable take those apart and your set to install wat u need... just go locate a wire harness an antenna adapter for your car and a dash kit takes about 30 min to do all of this.. the wiring is very easy u mostly match the wire colors... not always true but most likly its true.. very simple process to do by yourself... i wouldnt pay anyone to install my stereo for me but thats just me... joe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 06_Ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 06_Ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
06_Ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:36 PM   #4
gord888
gord888 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2006 VUE 3.5L

the guys at bestbuy and futureshop may not be any good. Installing a deck is pretty easy if you take the time to do it. Last time i went to futureshop for my deck install on my grand am, they ended up not putting the dash together properly. i ended up having to do it all over again.

============
http://www.ionforums.net
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2359318/1
http://www.our6thplanet.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gord888's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gord888 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gord888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 01:54 AM   #5
BigBubba
BigBubba is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

it's not a deck first of all, it's the sweetest piece to hit the aftermarket scene for the iPod in a while, Yeah it's very easy to install.... pop off the trim around the deck by moving your air vents to get a good grip on them and tug.... all you have to do if i recall correctly is put in line with your antenna and away you go.... I ordered 25 of those pieces on wednesday... good choice man!

Mods......
AEM CAI
Powerslot Slotted Rotors and Raysbestos ceramic coated pads
18x7.5 Motegi RT5's and Yokohama Perada Spec 2 225/40ZR's
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BigBubba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BigBubba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BigBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:07 PM   #6
spilner
spilner is on a distinguished road

thanks everyone...i really appreciate the help...im just gettin different opinions on how to remove the faceplate for the central console around the stereo head unit. Can anyone give me clear instructions on how to remove this...also does anyone know if the factory stereo has an aux input in the back? i rather connect the ipod interface through the aux input rather than the wired fm transmitter. Also I wanted to mount the LCD on the dash right in front of the steering wheel but i need to route the wires from the head unit to there...if i remove the faceplate can the dash part be removed as well? thanks alot and sorry if these questions are repetitive or basic...im a n00b.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spilner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spilner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:20 PM   #7
a104u2nv
a104u2nv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spilner
thanks everyone...i really appreciate the help...im just gettin different opinions on how to remove the faceplate for the central console around the stereo head unit. Can anyone give me clear instructions on how to remove this...also does anyone know if the factory stereo has an aux input in the back? i rather connect the ipod interface through the aux input rather than the wired fm transmitter. Also I wanted to mount the LCD on the dash right in front of the steering wheel but i need to route the wires from the head unit to there...if i remove the faceplate can the dash part be removed as well? thanks alot and sorry if these questions are repetitive or basic...im a n00b.
If your ion 3 dash is like the 04 ion 1 then just grab the air conditioner vents (should be 2 on that center piece) and pull once the top of it is free stop and unplug the hazard lights housing from the console then pop the last of the connected console free from the lower part. That will give you access to the head unit.

My head unit was a standard factory and had no aux inputs, but you can buy a 100 buck head unit with a cd changer output and grab a wire that will connect into that then into your ipod (140 bucks for head unit and extra ipod connector on the net) as for the rest of the dash I have no clue havent taken that part off yet but I must say the cubby tray on the right hand side of the steering wheel would make a great ipod holder. (run wire behind dash and into the cubby then just plug in your ipod and close it up.

If our dash's arent the same my bad I just typed that for nothing lol but i tried!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to a104u2nv's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help a104u2nv reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
a104u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote