SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 05:35 PM   #1
jgr00
jgr00 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
1999 SL1
Mad BIG problems with Adv Sound System

I am having big problems with my 6 CD Adv. Audio system in my LW300. The dealer has replaced the system twice and it just went out again after only working a few days. The symptoms of the problem is at first (when it starting to go bad) you hit a bump and there will be a crackling sound in the right rear speaker (the problem is not the speaker) and after a while there you will eventually get a load crackling sound/pop and then the system stops putting out ANY sound at all (no matter how much you turn it up). If you push on the face plate (it takes varying amounts of force) of the unit just under where you insert the CD's you will get the crackle again and the sound comes on. Some times it will stay on for a few seconds to a few minutes but eventually goes out again. ALL THREE units (the original and the two replacements) have done exactly the same thing. The first replacement lasted all of about 10 minutes after I left the dealer, and the last one lasted a few days. I really am upset, the dealer has called Saturn and they are telling him to just replace the unit. This hasn't worked obviously. Has ANYONE else had any problems with their Adv. Audio units. BTW after the dealer replaced the last one we noticed (after we left the dealership) that the DVD unit was completely DEAD...can not eject or load any DVD's and when you hit the button to turn on the DVD the radio does not switch to AUX so it looks like the DVD is not powering on at ALL. Can anyone help me?????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jgr00's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jgr00 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2003, 05:47 PM   #2
Dj_Xao
Advanced Member
Dj_Xao is on a distinguished road

u might have a lose connection some where

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dj_Xao's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dj_Xao reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-23-2003, 05:56 PM   #3
jgr00

2008 VUE 2.4L
1999 SL1

You'd think that since the dealer has been in there at least twice that the loose connection would have been fixed by now. They have replaced the entire head twice already......AND if it was a loose connection why pushing on the face place of the radio does it start working again...and pushing on it did this on all three units.

Last edited by jgr00; 03-23-2003 at 06:02 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jgr00 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-23-2003, 08:13 PM   #4
Dj_Xao
Advanced Member
Dj_Xao is on a distinguished road

i'm talking about ur wiring harnest

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dj_Xao's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dj_Xao reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2003, 08:31 AM   #5
2003LW300
2003LW300 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: BIG problems with Adv Sound System

Quote:
Originally posted by jgr00
BTW after the dealer replaced the last one we noticed (after we left the dealership) that the DVD unit was completely DEAD...can not eject or load any DVD's and when you hit the button to turn on the DVD the radio does not switch to AUX so it looks like the DVD is not powering on at ALL. Can anyone help me????? [/B]
I had my radio replaced due to a different issue. However, The DVD issue was the same when they replaced the unit. Replacing the head unit causes a spike that locks the DVD software. I have a copy of the service release that resets the software. I will post it tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2003LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2003LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2003, 10:17 AM   #6
jgr00

2008 VUE 2.4L
1999 SL1

If it is the wiring harness why would pressing on the face plate make it work and when you release it, it again goes out?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2003, 12:46 AM   #7
malbojah
malbojah is on a distinguished road

Almost sounds like a lose ground wire. But that should only blow out a fuse

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to malbojah's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help malbojah reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2003, 05:35 PM   #8
silverplum
silverplum is on a distinguished road

Talk about fixing the sympton and not the cause. It certainly sounds like a wiring problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverplum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverplum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-26-2003, 03:17 PM   #9
1993SC2
Advanced Member
1993SC2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

maybe it's some sort if internal problem; if they use the same deck/head in the VUE, and that has problems (does it?), then it's probably something within the radio. Otherwise, it 's prolly the car.

Then: 1993SC2m
Now: 1996 Jeep XJ, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1993SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-01-2003, 10:48 PM   #10
jgr00

2008 VUE 2.4L
1999 SL1

Got the car back from the dealer yesterday. After contacting Saturn through their website and having them talk with the Dealer service manager. They gave me free loaner and took the car to go over. After showing the dealer my latest find with the radio, it would work pushing in on the right hand side of the entire dash trim ring (the one that goes all the way around the radio, middle dash vents and the heater/AC controls). The dealer found that the right front speaker wire went over a metal dash support and it had a sharp edge and had worn a VERY small hole in the wire insulation and it would ground the speakers out and when you pushed on the radio/dash ring it would cause the wire to me just enough for it to not ground out. They fixed the wire and put a protector in where the wire went over the support. The really funny thing is that the Service manage said that he has a 2000 L and that it is doing exactly the same thing. He said that he will have to tear into his car because he thought the radio was bad. Thanks to everyone for their input... Problem solved. I'm glad that I complained to Saturn themselves, I think it did a lot to get the attention of the dealer and the factory guys to try to fix the problem instead of just throwing parts at it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2003, 12:19 AM   #11
silverplum
silverplum is on a distinguished road

This really goes to show you how important input from the customer is when it comes to solving a difficult problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverplum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverplum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread