SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2008, 01:05 PM   #1
Bumpz
Bumpz is on a distinguished road

Default Why do you drive a Saturn?

I bought one due to my belief in a motto started by Sam Walton. Buy American. I got a 1994 SL2 sedan in the spring of '94. It always had a nice throaty sound to the muffler from when I bought it. I always went to the Saturn dealer...a 45 minute drive to have it serviced.

At a little over 69,000 miles on my SL2, it developed a clanking sound that from the engine about 1/4 mile from my drive way. I coasted on into the drive upto my house.

I talked to the dealership and they were willing to tow me, but the cost was more then I cared to pay.

I took my engine apart and found that the timing chain had cut through the top 1/4" stainless steel valve cover guard. The hydraulic tensioner was still in the shipping position. The timing chain guides were cut up also. Saturn didn't want to see my pictures of what I found, but they willingly sold me a little over 1500 dollars in parts to fix my engine. I was hot, but went about putting it back together carefully. I ran across the picture I took of the tool I made to take the head apart and seems to be the only thing I have left from that fiasco.

Most people probably would have replaced that engine, but I rebuilt it. In spring of 2002, my odometer stopped at over 229,000. Over the years I
keep track of my gas useage and was always close to 40 on the highway and over 30 in the city. My best tank of gas for the miles was on the interstate. A
little over 437 miles(Google Map) on 11 point something gallons.

In spring of 2006, my car got that throaty sound(to much valve action) to it again. So I replaced the timing chain and it needed it. I figured based on my gas consumption that I was over 350,000 miles on my SL2. I know am over 400,000 and approaching 450k miles on this SL2. I swore when my engine did it's thing at 69k miles I would drive it until it's wheels fell off.
I'm having trouble doing that though.

Bumpz

"Buy American" by Sam

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bumpz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bumpz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bumpz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
ivwshane
ivwshane is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Why do you drive a Saturn?

I drive one because I got a good deal on it at the time. I didn't really like saturns and I really didn't like wagons but I needed a car at the time and my budget was limited.
I expected to drive it till the wheels fell off as well but no matter how hard I drive it it keeps on ticking!

Only until recently (after 7 years of ownership) have I decided to try and take care of if:o Not only am I amazed at how reliable it's been but I'm also finding out that these things are super easy to repair!

I would probably never buy a saturn again (except maybe a similar one to what I have now) but that's because my next car will be a customer restored ghia. But I think this saturn still has plenty of life in it and I'm thankful of all the money it has saved me over the years

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ivwshane's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ivwshane reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ivwshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

I am in the same boat. I bought it only due to money issues and my living circumstances at the time. I will more than likely never purchase another saturn. But in doing so, I have fallen in love with the car. But I will not spend the money on another car with out purchasing new, and I will not drive the new GM junk. Even if they did bring back the 1.9 LLo, I would still purchase what I want. Some of us buy for reliability, others buy what they want. And I have never bought anything I have ever wanted for myself. So for my next car I am going to get what I want... reliability is not a factor. I will DIY it like I have with all my other cars. Though reliability would be a plus.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #4
TIMSPEED
Advanced Member
TIMSPEED is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1998 SW2

Easy to work on
Reliable
Simple as that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TIMSPEED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TIMSPEED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TIMSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
mgordon1100
mgordon1100 will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2

I bought my 98 SC1 back in 01. I was driving a 94 Grand Am. It developed a major transmission problem, so a new car was in order. A co-worker of mine said I should get a Saturn. Her daughter drove one and she said that they last forever. I called my dad, who's been selling Pontiacs for as long as I can remember, and he wasn't very helpful in finding me a car. So, I ended up at the Pontiac dealership near my house. The guy over there really turned me off. His attitude could go right into the toilet, as far as I was concerned. Saturn was right next door, so I thought I'd pop in.

Well, the woman who sold me the car, was very friendly and helpful. After looking at some cars, I really liked the look of the SC. They didn't have what I was looking for, so I thought I'd settle on the SL. While I was walking back to my car, I noticed the SC1 with a standard trans....just what I was looking for. I went back in, and she didn't know about it. Turns out, another couple was trying to get some credit for it, so it was off limits. Except there was a loophole. She could show me the car because the couple was her sale. I took it for a test drive and immediately fell in love with it. At that point, it all came down to who can get the credit first. I won! After driving it for 4 years, I felt that it was the most comfortable fit of a car for me.

When the differential pin spit out, I felt that it wasn't worth putting money into it, so I shopped for a new car. Settled on a L300 auto, and the morning that I was turning over my old SC I kind of felt depressed so I looked online one last time, and out popped my 02 SC1. Another Saturn dealer in my area was a sister dealer of the Indiana store that owned it, so they had it delivered that morning for me. That 02 was the best out of the three (I drive the black SC2 now), you can see pictures of what some jack did to it while sitting at a stop light. I had near 200,000 miles on it with only the coil packs burning out from a big puddle in a hard rain. I bought it with only 30,000, which is probably why it was the best. Not much time for someone else to do the damage.

When I get typing, I just can't stop. If anyone has read this far, I'll shorten the story up now. Why do I drive a Saturn? It's reliable, and seriously the best fit of a car for me. At least the S coupes standard trans are. I don't even know what else I'll drive at this point. My biggest fear is that 02 is getting further away from us, and parts are going to be hard to find.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mgordon1100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mgordon1100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mgordon1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
OldSkewlSW1
OldSkewlSW1 is on a distinguished road

1997 SW1

I drive a Saturn because every show car needs a daily driver...

Somethings in life make you wonder, I do things to make you wonder why.

05 xB - Show Car - If it can be modified, it should be - 97 Wagon - Daily

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldSkewlSW1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldSkewlSW1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldSkewlSW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
wishihadacamaro
Advanced Member
wishihadacamaro is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2002 SL2

Out of curiosity, is your show car as slow as your daily driver? It at least has a lower coefficient of drag.

I drive a Saturn because it used to be my parents car. But I started driving it more and more after I got my license, and it basically became my car. My parent's have owned it since it was brand new. That's why I drive a Saturn. Oh, and Saturns awesome too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wishihadacamaro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wishihadacamaro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wishihadacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:51 PM   #8
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

bought the first one ('99 SC1) because I wanted a fuel efficient, sporty looking, manual transmission car, preferably American made to replace my '90 Grand Marquis with a bad trans.

bought the second one ('99 SC2) because I liked the SC1 but wanted a project car, and an SC2 was a better starting point, and only cost me a grand.

bought the 3rd one ('94 POSL2) because it was $300 (maybe $400?), and I hoped I could fix the misfire with plugs, wires, and a valve cover gasket. Unfortunately it had a bad valve seal, and I sold it for what I paid but kept the engine to rebuild on the side.

bought the 4th one ('96 SL2) because it was only $700 with a freshly built engine with goodies, as well as some other goodies, that could be transferred into my SC2, then return the car to stock and sell it to at least break even if not make a little profit. This is a current work in process.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #9
blueknigh7
blueknigh7 has a spectacular aura aboutblueknigh7 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

The only thing I knew about saturns before I bought one is that they were stolen a lot and easy to break into in the 90's (Friend's dad drove the wrong one home from a mall once - friend said when they saw it in the garage - "Uh, that's not ours")

I started looking around for something to replace my '87 3-speed auto chevy nova. Someone on a car forum recommended a Saturn SC2 as it had enough power (more than the nova), manual transmission, good MPG, and a semi-sporty look. Honestly, I woulda preferred a civic or accord, but for some odd reason, they all demand a price premium ($5-6k) around here - and were selling with 160k+ miles.

Saturns ranged from $2k-4k and I eventually I settled on a '97sc2 with 98k on it. Got my creature comforts of AC, Manual, and Cruise control. 64k miles later - and I hope it lasts forever or at least until 250k.

Probably won't buy a new one as the company's changed - but it's been fun learning how to work on a car. Never though I'd change my own clutch, but it just took a little elbow grease and 2 days of work by myself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blueknigh7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blueknigh7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blueknigh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #10
OldSkewlSW1
OldSkewlSW1 is on a distinguished road

1997 SW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishihadacamaro View Post
Out of curiosity, is your show car as slow as your daily driver?
the last time the xB was tuned it was at 212/197 at the wheels at 8lbs of boost... so im gonna go with no....

Somethings in life make you wonder, I do things to make you wonder why.

05 xB - Show Car - If it can be modified, it should be - 97 Wagon - Daily

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldSkewlSW1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldSkewlSW1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldSkewlSW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:53 PM   #11
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

Not to shoot down your bubble or anything, but why the xb?? they're hideous cars. Is it 1st gen or second xB?

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:33 PM   #12
spencerforhire
Advanced Member
spencerforhire will become famous soon enough

2001 SC1
2000 SW2

Why do I drive a Saturn? 'Cause I'm cheap! Saturns are cheap to buy, cheap to fix, NO SURFACE RUST( I hate body work), and there is nothing else of the same size that gets even close to the fuel economy. Well maybe a diesel Jetta, but they stink. Literally, not figuratively. I got a whole yard full of 'em(check my signature). Actually there are 2 more that I do all the maintenance on; my best bud and his wife have a 97 SW1 and a 94 SW1. I bet we don't spend more than $3-400/year for repairs on all 5 cars combined. I believe that for the do-it-yourself kind of guy, there's no better car. Only if they were RWD; (sigh.....)

01 SW2-#1 son's
01 SC2-#2 son's
00 SW2-wife's
00 SL2-daughter's
99 SW2-mine
00 SL1-spare
98 SC1-parts
+ 25 scrapped

Visit www.spencerforhire.ca to see what I do other than fix Saturns

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerforhire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerforhire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #13
blacktruckryder
blacktruckryder is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

I got my 96 SC2 because it was that or a 98 Toyota Corolla. After owning it for a few months I fell in love with it. Loved everything about it except the oil burning.
I have recently traded the SC2 in on an 05 Vue which I like more than the SC.

05 Vue 117,xxx
96 SC2 - 117,xxx Traded in on the Vue
06 Honda Pilot - 105,xxx
02 Nissan Altima - 130,xxx R.I.P. <---Junk!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blacktruckryder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blacktruckryder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blacktruckryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:46 PM   #14
cfg83
Advanced Member
cfg83 is on a distinguished road

Bumpz -

Originally I bought the Saturn because it was :

- American/UAW Made :

(167K Miles Today ...)

- Competitive MPG with foreign compacts

Today, I keep my Saturn S-Series because of those reasons *and* the saturnfans website.

CarloSW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cfg83's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cfg83 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #15
rlacapra1
rlacapra1 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

my old car gave up the ghost and i needed a replacement in a hurry. a shiny little black gold 97 sc2 with all available options was sitting all the way at the back of a ford dealer's used car lot. during a test drive i thought the car reminded me of days past. bumpy, noisy, slow, but fun as hell to toss through the esses. i bought it with 80,000 miles on it.

now (4 years later) with 156,000 miles it's still going strong. it's needed only minimal repairs, and it gets good maintenance. it's rock solid reliable and very fuel efficient. and one of the easiest cars to work on that i've ever had.

i will not part with this car till it simply cannot be kept on the road anymore.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rlacapra1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rlacapra1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rlacapra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #16
B.S.T.
B.S.T. is on a distinguished road

I drive a Saturn 'cause I got screwed out of the Camaro I was going to buy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to B.S.T.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help B.S.T. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
B.S.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #17
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: Why do you drive a Saturn?

I was using my 1988 K1500 pickup as a "train car", spending its weekdays parked at a downtown train station and driving a BMW to the station on the home end of the commute.

Then one day I snapped and had had enough of the unreliable service of the area commuter train (Caltrain. Schedules? Schedules? We don't need no stinking schedules!!), its ever escalating cost (even at $4 a gallon it is cheaper to drive my Saturn), spending my precious time waiting on train platforms for when or if the train might arrive, and of course the lovely ambiance of other people sneezing, coughing, talking loudly, leaving trash and farting in the train cars. Yes, about 7 years of Caltrain ridership was a wonderfully enriching life experience indeed.

So I began to search for an inexpensive high gas mileage commuter car that I would not get overly fond of as I wore it out at nearly 80 miles a day round trip.

I dislike Japanese cars in general, but did test drive several Honda CRXs. In the end though I wound up on the EPA's gas mileage website and started looking from the early 2000's backwards at anything getting 35mpg and above. Guess what, I started to see Saturns!

I always had liked the S-series coupes, but was aware of the SOHC engine issues, so I had never seriously considered buying one of them in the past. I also have an aversion to slush boxes. After about a week's search I located a DOHC 5spd coupe at a local car dealer, test drove it, and bought it. I got it really cheap. Sure, I knew it needed work, well actually a LOT of work, but I have had a lot of fun with it.

So I ended up with a very economical commuter car. But I failed at my goal of buying a cheap throw-away to use up and dump. I love my Saturn. I'll keep it on the road as long as I possibly can.

Would I buy another one? Another S-Series or a Vue, yes. Any of the newer metal bodied ones, no way, forget about it. They lost me on the new ones. They threw away essentially all the reasons that Saturns appealed to me in the first place (AND their gas mileage no longer meets my expectations).

In a similar vein, BMW with their moronic tecchie-"just because we can" I-Drive and hideous Bangle Butt cowpie with headlights styling, has utterly lost me, and I can afford a brand new one if I really wanted one. I'd perhaps buy another one like I have now (if God forbid something happened to it), but NOT a newer one.

Just my opinion.....hey, you asked...

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #18
dorisSL
Master Member
dorisSL is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

i drive a saturn because it was free.

i keep it because its easy to work on, fuel efficient, fun to drive and reliable. and parts are easily found (so far. there's about 15 of them at the closest jy to my house)

(DIYguy, i love the sig. big Red Green fan?)

1995 SL, born 12/23/94, manual, WAI 190,500, "Doris"
(I'm Ben, the car is Doris)

you can't mulch at those speeds man, that's too fast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dorisSL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dorisSL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dorisSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:33 PM   #19
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

I am diving a Saturn right how because my Bugatti Veyron is in the shop........

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:39 PM   #20
wishihadacamaro
Advanced Member
wishihadacamaro is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkewlSW1 View Post
the last time the xB was tuned it was at 212/197 at the wheels at 8lbs of boost... so im gonna go with no....
It could have 400HP for all I care, it's still ugly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wishihadacamaro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wishihadacamaro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wishihadacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote