SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2018, 02:38 PM   #1
KDulcimer
KDulcimer is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2
Default Stall & no re-start when hot

My 1996 SW2, automatic, stalls if I leave it in D once it gets hot. I can get around the issue by shifting into N as I come to a stop and giving it a little gas (up to about 2k RPM) before I drop it into D. If it stalls, it needs to cool down for about 20 minutes before it'll start up again.

I've already replaced the crankshaft position sensor. What should I troubleshoot next?

SaturnFans helper map: http://bit.ly/1uDorVF

1998 SW2 & 2002 SL sold, but I still see them around!
Purchased automatic 1996 SW2 September 2018.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KDulcimer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KDulcimer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KDulcimer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2018, 06:13 PM   #2
KDulcimer

1996 SW2
Default Re: Stall & no re-start when hot

I just thought of some more pertinent information. It never fires right up. It always takes about 10 seconds of cranking when cold, and more like 30 seconds when hot. And when it's hot, it catches slow, and takes a few seconds to get up to 800 RPM or so.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help KDulcimer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-29-2018, 06:36 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

ECTS and check the wiring for any splices that are not soldered. Also check fuel pressure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:55 PM   #4
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

IF fuel pressure is low, replace the filter(if this hasn't been done within the last 30,000 miles or so), and you may need to replace the fuel pump.

The pump is likely on its last leg and about to crap out.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:48 PM   #5
KDulcimer

1996 SW2

Thanks guys! I just checked the fuel pressure. It initially kicks up to 42 PSI, drops down to 36 PSI within a second or two, then in about 15 seconds it bleeds down to under 30 PSI. When it's running, the pressure is a constant 34 PSI.

Fuel pump, fuel regulator, or fuel filter?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-30-2018, 05:24 PM   #6
KDulcimer

1996 SW2

I made a video of my fuel pressure test:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FDFcHQkso4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-30-2018, 07:07 PM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Seems like the pump is getting ready to fail completely.

38-44psi KOEO with a drop in pressure of 6psi or less in 5 minutes. If more pressure drops or it drops faster, put a block in the return line and repeat test. If the pressure doesn't drop replace the FPR on the rail; if it still drops check for leaks and most likely replace the fuel pump (especially if you have more than 1/4 tank of fuel as it "never" fails when the tank is empty/light).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:36 PM   #8
KDulcimer

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Seems like the pump is getting ready to fail completely.

38-44psi KOEO with a drop in pressure of 6psi or less in 5 minutes. If more pressure drops or it drops faster, put a block in the return line and repeat test. If the pressure doesn't drop replace the FPR on the rail; if it still drops check for leaks and most likely replace the fuel pump (especially if you have more than 1/4 tank of fuel as it "never" fails when the tank is empty/light).
Thanks! Where is the fuel pressure regulator located?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-30-2018, 08:32 PM   #9
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Kinda the middle of the fuel rail, with a vacuum line directly to the throttle body. Usually can tell it's failed by a gasoline smell in the vacuum line.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:54 PM   #10
KDulcimer

1996 SW2

OK, so here's what I've found out.

1. The vacuum line going into the fuel regulator does have slight gasoline smell. I ran the car with the vacuum line off and didn't get any gas coming out of the vacuum line port. I've ordered a new fuel regulator.

I was not able to plug a fuel line and test. There's only 2 places to stop up a fuel line. One is near the regulator and it's hard, so I don't know what I could fit in there to stop it up. The other is way back by the fuel tank and I don't have the special disconnect tool.

2. Something is leaking coolant onto the lower areas of the engine. The previous owner said he did the head gasket. The hose clamp on the driver's side of the engine does need to be replaced, so that *could* be it.

The car does not overheat and the oil looks fine.

3. The cat has been deleted. Not sure if this has an effect on the hard start. The O2 sensor is present and plugged in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2018, 06:06 PM   #11
KDulcimer

1996 SW2

Guys! Thank you so much for your help. There is improvement, but it's not all fixed yet.

I just replaced the fuel regulator. It now starts quicker when cold, and if I hold the accelerator pedal to the floor, I've gotten it to start when hot. What's more, the fuel pressure has come up to 45-52 PSI, and holds steady when the ignition is shut off.

However, it's still stalling. What next?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2018, 07:13 PM   #12
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

When you say it will not start hot how long after it is warmed up and then shutoff does the car sit before you try and restart the engine?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2018, 11:30 PM   #13
KDulcimer

1996 SW2

It happens when the car is fully warmed (so, driving for 20 minutes or so) and I try to re-start immediately after it stalls.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-06-2018, 01:24 AM   #14
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Can you leave the fuel pressure gauge connected so the next time the engine stalls you can check on pressure? Or have it available to connect the moment the engine dies. Pressure may be right when starting and driving but an original fuel pump may or may not last forever. A well worn pump may not show anything during initial pressure checks so leaving the gauge connected (safely tied up or if the hose is long enough for the gauge to peek over the hood) may show a warmed up pump acting differently.

An intermittent ignition control module may act similarly. Testing for spark right after the engine dies should display spark.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:53 AM   #15
nealt
nealt is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Can a CPS intermittently go bad... for instance, it seems like a failing CPS is more likely to cause a stall at lower RPMs since perhaps it takes longer to recover from signal loss. I just remember when my CPS was going bad, higher RPMs helped keep the engine running. But since you've already replaced it, that sounds unlikely. Maybe your replacement is bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nealt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nealt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nealt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:31 PM   #16
KDulcimer

1996 SW2

I took it for a good long drive today and it never stalled. I even shut it off in a church parking lot and it immediately restarted.

So for now, I think this issue is SOLVED. It was the fuel pressure regulator. I'll let you know if I catch it stalling again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-06-2018, 07:11 PM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Since you could get it finally started by holding the throttle to the floor it was flooding out. As it happens there are about 2 sources that will do that in the 97 and older cars and the regulator is the most common one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2018, 08:05 AM   #18
KDulcimer

1996 SW2

OK, I've now had a couple of stalls, but these are right after start.

Yesterday, I started the car up, put it in reverse, it struggled to back up, and then stalled. I should note this was at noon, and it was a VERY warm October day for northern Indiana (about 85).

This morning, I backed up fine, but when I put it in D, it stalled. Important things to note are that I had the wheel cranked hard in the uphill direction. Perhaps that was the cause.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2018, 08:45 AM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

After you get it started let it sit in park or neutral until the idle starts to come down towards normal before shifting into gear, about 30-60 seconds delay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!