SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #81
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2
Default Re: Whats your MPG?

I am getting 25 to 28 in my 97 SW2 - had it for 8 months and I check mileage religiously. One tankful I got 31 mpg and was ecstatic. I read that a thermostat change might be the trick (when running the needle is right on the first tick) - I am in CT so I don't know if its my area or the formulation of the Gasoline here. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

For fun check out some of my Photoshop concept images - click on 'dummo's Photos' over to the left. I'd love to get your comments.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #82
Talkeetna
Talkeetna is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
1994 SL1

Many of you are posting your average mileage over an entire tank of gas. Others are reporting lifetime averages. Still others are citing feats of high mileage on single trips.

In my 2002 SL2 automatic my tanks average about 40 mpg. I have no stop-and-go driving in my rural community, so just about everything is highway miles.

I have a Scangauge, pump my tires to 50 psi (only 5 psi above max rating), and use all synthetic oils. Last week I did a 35 mile round trip. This being the interior of Alaska, the temperature was about 45 degrees. I ran at 47 mph and practiced some of the moderately advanced hypermiling techniques you can read about elsewhere. This included two engine-off coasts of more than one mile and 'working' the rolling hills. The traffic is so light where I live that I can drive slowly without bothering anybody.

I got 52.1 mpg on the round trip according to my Scangauge. My previous best on a single trip was just over 48 mpg.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Talkeetna's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Talkeetna reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Talkeetna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #83
IONfan2
IONfan2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
1996 SW2

My 2002 SC2 gets a consistent 30mpg around town. I'm super happy with the results

2002 SC2 (78,000 miles) I LOVE my Saturn! =]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IONfan2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IONfan2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IONfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #84
ssewall
ssewall is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

58mpg!

But I was driving down Cadillac Mountain.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssewall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssewall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #85
Jexxvexx
Jexxvexx is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

30 city and around 40 highway

1997 Liquid White Saturn Sl2 Automagic butter shift 201K
Added Factory fog lights, Black Badges

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jexxvexx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jexxvexx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jexxvexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #86
foeller32
foeller32 is on a distinguished road

I have a 1999 SL1 with about 80,000 miles. SOHC motor and Manual tranny.

Overall average - in the hills of PA and mostly stop & go is between 30 and 33 mpg.

On highway trips, average is around 40. Drove from PA to NYC once with no air, kept speed around 65, and hung behind big trucks as much as I could and averaged 44 for a full tank. But on another trip down I-81 into southern VA and NC, running 70-75 mph with the a/c on and occasionally having to shift into 4th for the big hills, I only averaged about 35.

But I'd say a highway average of around 39-40 with no hypermiling or mods other than tires at 45 psi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to foeller32's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help foeller32 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
foeller32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #87
aaron95sl2
Advanced Member
aaron95sl2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
I am getting 25 to 28 in my 97 SW2 - had it for 8 months and I check mileage religiously. One tankful I got 31 mpg and was ecstatic. I read that a thermostat change might be the trick (when running the needle is right on the first tick) - I am in CT so I don't know if its my area or the formulation of the Gasoline here. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Indeed, change the thermostat and ECTS. It's most likely only ONE of those is suspect, but if you haven't changed either, it's good insurance to make sure your engine is running properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkeetna View Post
I have a Scangauge, pump my tires to 50 psi (only 5 psi above max rating), and use all synthetic oils. Last week I did a 35 mile round trip. This being the interior of Alaska, the temperature was about 45 degrees
This is foolish. The 5psi will only help to wear the center of the tread out prematurely. It will greatly reduce traction (you live in Alaska, I hear it snows there), and increase the chance of tire blowout as well. It won't help with MPG enough for you to notice. All risk, no reward.

There are tires available designed to improve fuel economy. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=133

Don't sacrifice safety for a MPG. You don't want to rear-end someone because your tire was barely in contact with the ground.

1995 SL2 | Fully loaded | 165k on odometer |30k on new engine w/ KB-S pistons - not a single drop of oil lost so far!

Last edited by aaron95sl2; 09-13-2012 at 02:48 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aaron95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aaron95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aaron95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #88
OHCPower
OHCPower will become famous soon enough

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron95sl2 View Post
Don't sacrifice safety for a MPG. You don't want to rear-end someone because your tire was barely in contact with the ground.
THIS^^^^^^.
Also don't ride the ass of a big truck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OHCPower's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OHCPower reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OHCPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #89
Talkeetna

2002 SL2
1994 SL1

I've inflated my summer tires to 10% over recommended sidewall pressure for several years. That it causes excessive wear is a myth. I've seen absolutely ZERO wear in the centers, and my tires last longer. The mileage improvement is significant (fuel economy about 10% over what I'd get if I inflated to 35 or 36 psi), and the car does not hydroplane or skid under hard braking or cornering.

I have driven in Alaskan winters for 31 years and think I'm a pretty good judge of how to set up my car for slippery conditions. Our roads are mostly ice-covered for several months a year. I have a really nice set of Nokian snow tires with a soft compound, the nicest siping you have ever seen, and enough studs to climb waterfalls. I inflate them to 100% of maximum pressure and find they are hard to spin even on ice.

I can get in the mid-40's for highway MPG in the winter with my 2002 SL2 on snowtires. I use a 'custom' grill-blocking bicycle inner-tube in the lower grill vents. The grill block helps the engine heat up much faster than without. I inflate it to keep it tightly placed in the slots. The flexibility of the inner-tube allows me to leave open space in the blocking, and so dial-in my radiator temperature to within a few degrees of optimal (I like 200 degrees according to my ScanGauge). My car can't maintain a reasonable temperature without the block if I use the heat when the temperature is down in the negative digits. I'll post a picture later this winter when I put it in.

On my 94 SL1 I made a radiator cover out of plastic sheeting. It sits about two inches in front of the radiator and covers the whole thing. It mounts using zip-ties. It has a sliding door that allows me to increase or decrease the amount of cold air passing over the radiator. The SL1 REALLY needs help getting up to and maintaining an efficient running temperature in our cold Alaskan climate. This door makes a big difference in running temperature. With it we can get in the mid-40's for winter highway mileage even when it's cold outside.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Talkeetna reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #90
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

I am also going to pump my tires up 10%. I will replace the thermostat and the ECTS as well and see what the result is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #91
Talkeetna

2002 SL2
1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
I am also going to pump my tires up 10%. I will replace the thermostat and the ECTS as well and see what the result is.
The thermostat and ECTS make a difference.

If I pump up my tires to at least sidewall and then drive 50 mph, I can get 50 mpg with an SL1 5-speed. At 55 I'll get about 46 mpg. It takes between 45 and 48 mph for my SL2 automatic to reach the same mileage. The slower you go the higher your overall mileage will be down to about 35. Lower than that and you have to start shifting out of your highest gears and you lose efficiency.

Of course this is assuming you aren't accelerating hard, and that you're paying very careful attention to how you handle hills--which you can 'work'
in such a way if you care to--that you do not lost Mpgs driving on them.

Keep in mind that I am driving in a very rural area. There are no traffic conflicts as I get off the road when other cars overtake me. You shouldn't drive in such a way as to make other drivers angry, but you are also not required to do 65 mph just because everybody else is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #92
aaron95sl2
Advanced Member
aaron95sl2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCPower View Post
THIS^^^^^^.
Also don't ride the ass of a big truck.
Awww, why not?

http://www.musclecars.faketrix.com/c...rt-vehicle.jpg

1995 SL2 | Fully loaded | 165k on odometer |30k on new engine w/ KB-S pistons - not a single drop of oil lost so far!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aaron95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aaron95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aaron95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #93
Japanrot
Japanrot is on a distinguished road

I get around 38mpg with my 2000 SL1 5 speed. I have over 315k on it now.

2006 BMW 330ci Fully Loaded 6 Speed Manual M Aerodynamics Package 59k

2000 Saturn SL1 5 Speed Manual 315k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Japanrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Japanrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Japanrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #94
papoopeepoo
papoopeepoo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

I'm down to around 26MPG city because my alternator is on its way out. Soon I'll be ordering a special order alternator for higher output from Mechman. I'll hopefully gain some mpg with that upgrade as my alternator is almost always run at full capacity. These measly 90 amps aren't cutting it for me.

Cables and wires almost never fail; the terminations do. -- www.prussianmotors.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to papoopeepoo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help papoopeepoo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
papoopeepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #95
highaltitude
highaltitude is on a distinguished road

1997 SW1

[QUOTE=guy_450;1633467]I drove non-stop my SW2 on a distance of 432.8 Km (258.8 miles) on highway cruising at 115-120 Km/h (71-74 mph) and got 6.13 l/100 Km (46 mpg US),

97 SW1 stock, auto trans, stock luggage rack, with 4 studded tires, inflated to max rated pressure, Quaker State high mileage engine oil, 42 mpg.

3 trips thru Colorado passes, up to 11,000 foot elevation, not exceeding 60 mph on steepest climbs,
2nd and 3rd gear for engine braking on descents,
of 8 percent grades; carrying lots of tools and overnight camping gear

have added vented hood scoop, no real difference noticed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to highaltitude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help highaltitude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
highaltitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #96
DaMirrorLink
DaMirrorLink is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Over the last 5-6 tank fulls I've done an average of 33 MPG give or take 1 MPG each time, thats combined city and highway, too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DaMirrorLink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DaMirrorLink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DaMirrorLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #97
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Not real scientific. 116 miles @ 33.3mpg @ 75mph

No more 500-mile round trips. House sold. Property taxes were just plain stuuuupid.- As in, if you have to ask, you can't afford it As in, you can't afford to hire anyone to maintain the house because all you food money went to the state. (Not that there's anything wrong with that! <Model citizen in every way )

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:04 PM   #98
BobtheTechguy
BobtheTechguy is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

I get 22mpg 99% stop and go driving( I'm a delivery driver) driving this poor old saturn like its a fuging sports car( full throttle launches and parking brake power slides)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobtheTechguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobtheTechguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobtheTechguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:35 AM   #99
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Just don't smash it up! There's an afterlife for it in the North. Up here, we pay to work on cars where all the bolts don't snap off!

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:44 AM   #100
Petek
Petek is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1

95 saturn sc1 sohc 5 spd. best avg of 37mpg a tank mostly highway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Petek's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Petek reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Petek is offline   Reply With Quote