SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2018, 03:14 PM   #1
ratwhisperer
ratwhisperer is a jewel in the roughratwhisperer is a jewel in the roughratwhisperer is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1
Default I broke my windshield!!! :( Need advice

I dropped a large tool while working outside the other day and cracked the windshield pretty good on my 1997 SL1 After kicking myself for about 20 minutes, I am now facing the fact I need to get a new windshield. I don't think it's repairable.

What is the best thing to do? I assume this is not a 'diy' kind of thing. Could I though, get a windshield somewhere else and save money that way and then have someone else install it?

See if my insurance will cover it?

Just buck up and go to a shop and ask?

I've never ever cracked a windshield in my life :/

Attached Images
File Type: jpg windshield.jpg (67.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg cracks.jpg (87.1 KB, 21 views)

Past:
1995 SW2 - Cynthia - sold
2000 SW2 - Ruby - sold
2004 Vue - Jade - traded in
1996 SL2 - Ursula - sold
1994 SL2 - Nelly Belle - sold

Current:
1997 SL1 - Cinnamon - 285K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ratwhisperer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ratwhisperer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ratwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
Ionizen
Ionizen is on a distinguished road

Default Re: I broke my windshield!!! :( Need advice

Windshields are fairly cheap to replace. Just did mine for $150 and they came to my home to do the job. If the crack is large there is no way to repair it and it will only get larger.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ionizen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ionizen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ionizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #3
ratwhisperer
ratwhisperer is a jewel in the roughratwhisperer is a jewel in the roughratwhisperer is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1

Well that sounds perfectly reasonable! We do have a mobile windshield replacement service in our area. I will give them a jingle.

Past:
2000 SW2 - Ruby - sold
1996 SL2 - Ursula - sold

Current:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ratwhisperer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-13-2018, 06:39 PM   #4
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I’d shop around until you find someone that will do it for no more than $150. I paid $130. Safelite is like way expensive

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:38 PM   #5
DonP1
DonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

In Ohio, insurance covers the repair and deductible. My 2015 Honda had it replaced by Safelite.

Not sure what would would be covered if you told your insurance you broke it yourself....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:43 PM   #6
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

^^ Isn't that only if you carry full comprehensive coverage, not just liability?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:23 AM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I've yet to pay more than $250 for any windshield. They've all been $200-$250 (okay...the Subaru one with wiper heater would have been $280 but the heater is why the old one broke so I opted for a non-heated one for $220). Seems silly to bother your insurance company over so little, then deal with a rate increase at the next policy renewal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #8
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Be sure to get a someone who will install the glass flush with the roof. Otherwise, the trim will gap.
A glass installer recomended by the insurance company might be more detail oriented.
Also, you will need to purchase your own O.E. trim as glass installers will use a generic trim they buy in 300-foot lengths.
If none of this matters to you then ignore all of the above.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #9
ratwhisperer

1997 SL1

Thank you so much for all this advice, I really appreciate it. We actually have full coverage on both our cars; I might call and see, I just figured I couldn't get it covered because I did it.

That being said; the mobile guy quoted me $125, so that's awesome!

Thanks again

Past:
2000 SW2 - Ruby - sold
1996 SL2 - Ursula - sold

Current:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-14-2018, 06:11 PM   #10
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

The insurance company doesn’t need to know you did it.

They’d love it if you tell them that it’s all your fault.

Glass damage - especially if just the glass is usually from flying debris or vandalism. Rarely the owner’s fault. So they have no reason to suspect you and they most likely don’t care.

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:08 PM   #11
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Back in 2003, I dropped a piece of conduit just right (or wrong I guess), cracked my windshield clear across, and made a claim on my comprehensive insurance. It was no problem. Insurance is for acts of God, acts of stupid people besides ourselves, and for our own stupidity. I think they want to know if it was somebody's fault so they can charge their insurance.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:53 PM   #12
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

Every 10 years or so I find the street side window of my car mysteriously busted out in the morning. (When I am lazy enough to keep my car parked on the street instead of pulling it into my driveway overnight. Most recently to my 2004 Ion 3 probably ten years ago. My insurance paid for it because I had GEICO full glass coverage. I don’t have such coverage on m 21 year old SW2. I am going to go get my car into the driveway now.

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote