SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2018, 10:25 PM   #1
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2
Default GM Strikes Again - Or Before - Or Earlier

I am just going to leave this here.

https://youtu.be/NWdCtwJm6nA

...or how to mess up when you have a good thing going.

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2018, 10:44 PM   #2
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2
Default Re: GM Strikes Again - Or Before - Or Earlier

I always look to graphs to try to make sense and maybe jog my memory.
https://usa.streetsblog.org/2014/12/...ng-in-the-70s/
Cost of fuel:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_oil_crisis

So, discount the socioecomomic mumbo-jumbo in the first link and look to the spike in fuel cost for the reason.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it)

Last edited by bumpdraft; 10-03-2018 at 10:53 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:51 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I barely remember the GMC RV, a middle to upper class convenience to drive a motor home any where in the USA, park in camp sites or rv parks with electrical hook ups. Not a poor mans rv. That front wheel drive setup from the Toronado is unusual as I thought all RVs were rear wheel drive. GM may be the first back then with a luxury (Toronado) car using front wheel drive when rear wheel drive was considered conventional. I remember working on a Toronado ac system (r12) for a co-worker - a very sketchy and unorthodox repair but ac was ice cold. I mentioned zero guarantees for my sketchy repair.

I can imagine those still owning a classic GM rv and maintaining it, before catalytic converters, before EFI systems. If maintained they're gross polluters but exempt from present day emissions inspections. Anyone owning one with the means to upgrade the engine may adapt an aftermarket EFI system to tweak power, maybe add a converter or two to help reduce emissions......while upgrading the interior and refurbish the exterior for as long as possible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:03 AM   #4
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I barely remember the GMC RV, a middle to upper class convenience to drive a motor home any where in the USA, park in camp sites or rv parks with electrical hook ups. ....

https://youtu.be/8IC2jbbee70

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
...maybe add a converter or two to help reduce emissions......while upgrading the interior and refurbish the exterior for as long as possible.
The number of miles driven would make earth-harmful emissions insignificant. And, 1978 was when GM vehicles were heaped full of emissions equipment.
That Toronado engine probably had an air pump.

The only thing bad I remember hearing about those RVs was that they ate tires. Not a deal-breaker.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

Bean counters have ruined more companies that any other cause IMHO.

It's all about short term gain and nothing else.

Highmile
'95 SL1 669k and counting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:53 PM   #6
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmile View Post
Bean counters have ruined more companies that any other cause IMHO.

It's all about short term gain and nothing else.

Highmile
'95 SL1 669k and counting
Spelled, ”Corporate Average Fuel Economy”
Honda ceased production of 2-cycle engines for similar reasons. - Even though Honda 2-cycle engines were most excellent and they could have kept selling them.

1) GM did not get throttle body fuel injection until...1985?
2) Were these motorhomes EXEMPT from having to have the latest emissions equipment? If the exemption expired, then I bet all that equipment wouldn’t fit under the hood. I’d guess the Toranado engine was a tight fit under the hood.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-04-2018, 06:57 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The 2 cycle engine in automobiles died on 12/31/67 and was killed by the clean air act and the limits on automotive emissions that became requirements starting on 1/1/68.

I used to have a SAAB 95 and 96 3 cylinder 2 cycle car and station wagon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:59 PM   #8
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

My 1985 Suburban had TBI.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:38 PM   #9
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

My 1984 Pontiac Fiero had TBI. Even the very first Cavaliers had TBI. Fuel injection(mechanical) was available with Corvettes in their 2nd Gen or 3rd Gen. I think they called it the "Cross-fire" injection. Don't quote me on that.

Carburetors are actually better for atomization, than fuel injection is, IF they are designed correctly and mated to a correctly-engineered intake manifold.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote