SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2018, 11:11 PM   #1
Marz
Marz has a spectacular aura aboutMarz has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
Default SC2 going to swap with junkyard engine

So a couple months ago my '95 SC2 started sending out a blue smoke screen and lost power when accelerating from a stop. I looked under the hood and found oil leaking between exhaust manifold and the engine block centered between the second and third exhaust ports.

I got another car to get to work, but want to keep the SC2 and fixer back up. There's a pick N pull down the road that has a DOHC engine pulled from a wrecked car, with damaged valve and timing covers both of which I can pull from the engine in the car now. It's cheap enough that I think it would be worth it have even if ends up being spare parts...

I am hoping to get some advice on things to check or do with the junkyard engine before swapping out the that's leaking oil. (I plan to keep the original engine and rebuild it, maybe do a Deeb's build to it. Depends what's wrong with it.) I'll try to document i.e. photograph/video my work here.

1995 SC2 Purchased with 119985 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Marz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Marz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Marz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #2
Marz

1995 SC2
Default Re: SC2 going to swap with junkyard engine

I've uploaded a pic of the oil leaking from the front of the engine, if anyone has an opinion on what the cause may be, please share.

...Boo, I haven't posted enough to add links to images in my posts, so if you'd like click on my photos

<--------- There somewhere

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Marz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Marz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-14-2018, 01:07 PM   #3
cgg17
cgg17 will become famous soon enoughcgg17 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

There may be issues with the third gen engine in a second gen car (albeit first gen body with second gen computer).

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:09 PM   #4
Marz

1995 SC2

The swap engine is also a '95 so there shouldn't be any problems with the computer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Marz's Reputation
Old 07-15-2018, 10:41 AM   #5
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marz View Post
So a couple months ago my '95 SC2 started sending out a blue smoke screen and lost power when accelerating from a stop. I looked under the hood and found oil leaking between exhaust manifold and the engine block centered between the second and third exhaust ports.

I got another car to get to work, but want to keep the SC2 and fixer back up. There's a pick N pull down the road that has a DOHC engine pulled from a wrecked car, with damaged valve and timing covers both of which I can pull from the engine in the car now. It's cheap enough that I think it would be worth it have even if ends up being spare parts...

I am hoping to get some advice on things to check or do with the junkyard engine before swapping out the that's leaking oil. (I plan to keep the original engine and rebuild it, maybe do a Deeb's build to it. Depends what's wrong with it.) I'll try to document i.e. photograph/video my work here.
Replacement engine assemblies MUST be from another 1995 model ONLY.

1996-1997 engines will fit, BUT require the head to be drilled for the second coolant sensor for OBD-I systems as well as require swapping the fuel rail assembly.

With automatic transmission, the engine can be pulled by itself out the top. You will have to pull the harmonic balancer pulley to get the clearance.

If the car is a 5-speed manual, you will be pulling both your engine and transmission still bolted together, out the top.

As far as the engine you are rebuilding, when you pull the head, check the head gasket on the intake side of the block, at the #4 cylinder water jacket. DOHCs develop a hairline crack in the gasket, which will cause a very(almost unoticeable) small coolant leak down the backside of the block, below the intake manifold(which get boiled off by the hot engine surfaces, hence why you won't have a puddle under the car.

Check the valves, as you had a leaking exhaust manifold gasket, which means you likely have a burnt valve in your #3 cylinder, a blown head gasket, or worse: a scored block cylinder sleeve.

As far as the JY engine, if the car will start, check the oil level and run the engine. With a cracked timing cover/valve cover, the oil level likely got low. Bearing failure is going to likely make itself known, if this is the case.

Check the area of the block, to the right of the coil pack assembly. The last 9 digits of the VIN is stamped into each block. This will tell you if it is the original engine or it has already been replaced by the P.O. before it was junked. This will also determine if the mileage on it is accurate.

IF the engine runs well and isn't noisey from the cam bearings/rod bearings, make sure to pull the exhaust manifold and check the valves for build up on the stems. This is indicative that the valve stem seals are leaking, which can happen when the oil level is too low for too long, on any engine.

Check the same area, under the intake manifold, for the coolant leak I above mentioned.

I have already gone through the process of changing my engine assembly. It took me 14 hours, and my replacement engine(as well as the blown stock engine) BOTH had the crack in the head gasket at the #4 cylinder intake water jacket area, and both showed signs of leaking coolant down the back of the block. They both had the exact sake crack in the exact same area of the gasket.

Make sure the exhaust system is sealed with new gaskets and fix any leaking areas, as the exhaust leaks are what lead to burnt valves.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:10 PM   #6
Marz

1995 SC2

Thanks for the info!

I just picked up an engine hoist and need to finish draining the fluids from the engine in the car...

The temps here are over 100F and work keeps getting in the way!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Marz's Reputation
Old 08-03-2018, 07:22 PM   #7
Marz

1995 SC2

Added a couple more pics to my gallery.

I now have the new valve cover (AL) and timing chain cover. I've done the valve cover on the original engine in my car so I'll just buy another gasket kit for that.

Should I change all the seals and gaskets for the timing cover and which other seals should I check while I have the timing cover off? I will look at the timing chain and guides so see if I should swap them out as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Marz's Reputation
Old 08-05-2018, 08:07 AM   #8
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

The oil pan and timing cover do not actually have a gasket. They are RTV. Use Black RTV on the oil pan because the pan is steel.

Use Silver for the timing cover surfaces, as they are aluminum.

Be mindful of the dowel pins for lining the timing cover up, when removing and installing, so you don't crack the replacement timing cover.

Here is a link to the kit, that Mahle makes:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...turn/sl2?pos=0

It is a very simple design, actually, in comparison to what I have seen with other engines(like the German Ford 4.0L Exploder SOHC that has a REAR TIMING CHAIN in addition to its front timing chains, or the Chrysler 2.7L DOHC and its 4 timing chains).

Saturn engineers developed a very easy engine design, really. Not many gaskets to worry about, because it is all silicone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2018, 12:00 AM   #9
Marz

1995 SC2

Thanks again, I just warched a video on doing the timing chain with engine in the car I should have it a little easier with it on the hoist.

I spent some time Saturday cleaning it some more, looks almost like a totally different motor, i plan on taking off the power steering pump, idler pulley, lower engine mount bracket and as many other pulleys as I can after work. I'll try to document everything.

Should I pull the oil pan and resealit? The current seal looks thick but had no signs of leaking, The worst oiled face is the timing cover and the exhaust and intake side both in second place and I already plan on replacing those gaskets.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Marz's Reputation
Old 08-06-2018, 04:19 PM   #10
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

I wouldn't pull the oil pan and re-seal it, unless it is actually leaking. If it ain't broke, don't go being like the government and trying to "fix" it until it is broken.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2018, 12:08 AM   #11
Marz

1995 SC2

OK, going to keep the oil pan on it as it looks to be well sealed up.

Last night I was able to clean up some more and remove some more external parts... the exhaust manifold being the most important part. The bolts/nuts where to my mind way to easy to break loose, with only the central nut needing me to flex noticeably, the other four(4) spun easily with almost with no effort. Which might explain all the black gunk on the front of the engine under the exhaust manifold...

I looked in the exhaust ports for a burned valve but am not sure what to look for... Pics to follow

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Marz's Reputation
Old 08-10-2018, 12:11 AM   #12
Marz

1995 SC2

Here is a good overall pic maybe?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Marz's Reputation
Old 08-10-2018, 12:30 AM   #13
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

You won't see a burnt valve, unless you pull the head off the engine. Definitely some soot and carbon in the ports, which is normal.

You can check the valve stems, with the manifolds off the head, and if you see gunk and thick soot build up, this means the valve stem seals are leaking and should be replaced by a shop. They will charge you to remove the cams and lifters, or may require you to remove them from the head prior to performing the repairs.

A burnt valve is only visible with the head removed, because it isn't "burnt" in the literal sense. It is actually fractured, and a piece has broken off the valve itself. This causes a loss of compression and results in a dead cylinder.

The #3 cylinder is the common cylinder to find burnt valves, on the Twin Cams.

Fel-Pro makes a kit, for about $140, that has all the seals and gaskets for rebuilding the head. It comes with Viton, premium valve stem seals. Yoy can get them at the local parts stores. They will have the head gasket, intake, exhaust, valve cover, EGR, and TB gaskets included.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-04-2018, 10:15 PM   #14
Marz

1995 SC2

OK, I took the oil pan off because it was soooooooo badly covered in sealant and was worried I may drop some into the pan while trying to clean up the time chain cover part of it.

Now, what is the best way to clean off the old sealant from the oil pan, a putty knife works well enough on the flat parts but the groove in the pan... I'll try and post up a pic in the morning.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Marz's Reputation
Old 10-04-2018, 10:25 PM   #15
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Fine wire brush and either a die grinder or variable speed electric drill. A 2" wheel works best.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:51 PM   #16
Marz

1995 SC2

Thank you! The wire brush did the trick.

Now I have a new issue, the timing chain cover that I got off EBay is damaged... can I salvage it or is it more scrap metal?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Marz's Reputation
Old 10-09-2018, 01:43 PM   #17
cgg17
cgg17 will become famous soon enoughcgg17 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

I would say scrap metal, if I am assuming that is the idler mount that is broke off...

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #18
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

If you had the missing part it's fixable but as pictured it's scrap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:19 PM   #19
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

It is junk and the guy who sold it to you knew it was. File for Buyer Protection with eBay immediately.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote