SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 02:50 AM   #1
Atomized
Atomized is on a distinguished road

Default Location of the Starter 2003 L300

So I have a starting issue with my car. Basically if the car has been started within the last 5 hours when I turn the key, I can hear the starter spin, but not engage the flywheel. Sometimes the engine will roll once but will not start. I have a working fuel pump and have fuel pressure on the fuel rail. I do have spark, and once the car is running there is plenty of power. I think that my starter is missing some teeth, so I bought a replacement.

However I can't see my starter from above and once I jacked the car and laid down under it I still could not find it. I have seen schematics where it is behind the engine near the oil drain plug, but I still don't see it there and I can't find the schematics now that I need them. Does anyone know or better yet have photos of the starter location on this year and model?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Atomized's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Atomized reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Atomized is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2013, 03:23 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Location of the Starter 2003 L300

Well, you may have to be a little more specific in your descriptions. Is this a failed starter problem or the engine not firing up as the engine turns over? There is one other description - the starter spins up and whines like a jet engine. This is rare for almost any car/truck/suv as the starter motor fails to engage the engine flywheel to load the starter for a normal sound. A high speed whining sound from a starter is very distinct.

You won't see the starter from above as the engine hides it. Crawl under to find the starter between the engine and firewall. It will have the RED battery cable attached to it. Be sure to disconnect the battery negative cable first before disconnecting starter wires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
midway
midway is a jewel in the roughmidway is a jewel in the roughmidway is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Location of the Starter 2003 L300

I am going to try and help here, in case you really have to change the starter.

Pic 1; Starter view, where leaf is laying, transaxles housing, exhaust manifold showing in lower right and lower left of pic.

Pic 2; Starter view with ex manifold in view.

Pic 3; taken to show ex manifold and downpipe, I had the camera down in there to take pic leaning in over the passenger fender, starter is toward the driver side. I had the top side of engine pulled apart here to replace valve cover gaskets.

Pic 4; Pic taken from front of vehicl, notice the engine lifting bracket sticking up on the far side of engine, below that bracket is where the started is mounted.

Pic 5; Taken from right side of vehicle, camera right over Alternator, see starter under ex manifold.

Pic 6; Taken with camera moved back so Alternator is showing in pic, see starter under ex manifold.

Pic 7; Taken looking down at trans shifter, have to reach in and back to get top starter bolt, even though they are torx head bolts, 12 point box end wrench will work, I had 2 wrenches, 1 short, just about as long as my hand is wide, 1 half moon, starter wrench, 3/8X7/16.

Pic 8; Taken with camera held reaching through the area shown is pic 7, you can see starter right behind trans shift cable on left side of pic.

Pic 9; Slightly different view, same as pic 8.

Pic 10; I found a very small hole through the hoses and wire harnesses that I could just barely see where I was working to get the top starter bolt out and in.

The way I removed the starter.
Jacked up right side, place jackstands, remove right front tire to see starter. The lower starter bolt is removed from below vehicle up between the transaxle housing and engine, long extension and flex joint, I used a 24" extension. I also used the same extension to remove the nuts holding the wires on the starter from the right side of vehicle, There is a bracket holding the wire harness mounted to the engine block just in front of the starter that must be loosened so it will move enough to get starter out of the hole it is in. On reassembly I got my wife to come out and hold the starter in place with the 24' extension, I got bolt hole lined up holding bolt in top hole with back of thumb while rotating starter until I felt bolt hit hole, got her to put light pressere on the big stud on solenoid, otherwise starter would drop down on that end. From there you just do the reverse of removal.

Hope this helps

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to midway's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help midway reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
midway is offline   Reply With Quote