SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
Jonnyferrari
Jonnyferrari is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default New Front Struts and Bearing

So I have had this annoying creaking noise since January and while my steering rack is leaking, it turns out that it is the left front strut bearing. I could get that one bearing replaced for $230 or so, and the front left strut and bearing for $300 or so. Since I am getting the labor done on one, I was going to do both front struts. My oems have 93k on them and I think the ride is fine, but I wanted advice on whether new struts would be worth it, and if so which ones. I was quoted $540 for 2 Monroe Sensa-Trac struts, the bearing and installation. Also, should I do the mounts as well? Are kybs better...there are allot of things up in the air so I could use some advice!

ps, I was going to have a local mechanic that is a fair and good guy do it, but Blain's farm and fleet has a $49.99 per strut installation coupon. Places like that scare me but..If they mess it up won't they have to fix it? Looking to save $$.

[Sold] 2000 Saturn LS2 premium package; 120k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonnyferrari's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonnyferrari reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonnyferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
mudawg
mudawg is on a distinguished road

Default Re: New Front Struts and Bearing

replace it all, I did the kyb and it was a pretty easy job. you can rent a spring compressor. I took my time and it took me about an hour each side in a garage using a jack etc.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mudawg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mudawg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I'd be tempted to just do the bearing. I have run a couple of cars to 300,000+ km with the factory struts and they were fine (including the 2000 LS1). I recently helped my neighbour change a strut bearing on his Jetta with no strut change and it has been fine. You should allow about 2+ hours for this job. It is a good time to pick up a spring compressor. This is a tool that will last a lifetime and get repeated use. Two rentals will pay for the tool. Not all of my struts have survived the life of the car.

BTW, the front struts on the L are much easier to get apart than on the Jetta.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
Jonnyferrari

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Thank you for the input. The struts feel fine so far, and I didn't want to spend all of this money on them just yet. I am going to have the mechanic do just the bearing, and since I figure it will take an hour or 2 I expect it to cost around $150 including parts. I'll let you guys know his exact quote when I get the call, maybe you could give me input on the price. ThankS!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jonnyferrari reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
Jonnyferrari

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

So JUST for the strut bearing being replaced (Says his book says 2 hours) it will cost me $250. Same labor if I get 1 strut replaced, but 1 strut? I feel like that will throw things off, PLUS I would need an alignment..help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!