SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2014, 07:45 AM   #1
EvanVanVan
EvanVanVan is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default Rear Brakes: New OEM shoes vs aftermarket? Keep Drums or replace? Convert to discs?

I noticed my brakes groan when I release them. I also noticed it happens when I release my e-brake so I've narrowed the problem down to the rear drum brakes.

I asked a similar question a few years ago, and was advised that OEM shoes can last forever. My car is at 95,000 miles and when I took apart the brakes back then the shoes were thin (not that I really know how thick a new shoe is). But the grinding and what now, I'm ready to replace them. OEM shoes are only $20 each. At that price and the fact they last, I'm thinking they're preferable over aftermarket shoes?

The OEM drums I see are discontinued. The last time, I used a dremel to take down the almost non-existant rim. Do I do something similar now? Should I take them to NAPA to have them check "out-of-round"? Or replace them with an aftermarket solution?

Or my last option, is to convert to rear disc brakes, Of course I'd have to find a saturn with rear discs first.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EvanVanVan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EvanVanVan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EvanVanVan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #2
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2
Default Re: Rear Brakes: New OEM shoes vs aftermarket? Keep Drums or replace? Convert to disc

Rear drums last longer, as you mentioned. At 194K, I've adjusted them once (at roughly 185K) and replaced the wheel cylinders - I've done nothing else to them.

Luke (a previous poster) once stated that he had over 500K miles on his original rear brakes. Of course, it was mostly highway miles.

The only advantage I see to disc brakes is that they are easier to work on only because more people have experience with it. There is always the 'performance' issue (disc is suppose to be better), but we aren't driving race cars.

My two cents.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 07/25/18: 229,023 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
EvanVanVan
EvanVanVan is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default Re: Rear Brakes: New OEM shoes vs aftermarket? Keep Drums or replace? Convert to disc

Thanks, when you say "drums last longer" are you referring to just the drums? Can and should I replace the shoes or do you mean the drums and shoes last longer and replacing just the hardware should do it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EvanVanVan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EvanVanVan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EvanVanVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:58 AM   #4
54packman
54packman will become famous soon enough

1998 SW2
2000 SC2

i have always found that i will replace the front brake pads 3 times for every once of the rear shoes, and i normally get 60 to 80,000 km out of the front pads, rear shoes about 180,000 km, Wagner still makes new drums for them, and there is the aftermarket off shore drums , about 1/3 the cost..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 54packman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 54packman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
54packman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:08 AM   #5
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanVanVan View Post
Thanks, when you say "drums last longer" are you referring to just the drums? Can and should I replace the shoes or do you mean the drums and shoes last longer and replacing just the hardware should do it?
I meant the entire rear brake assembly. As stated, I've only adjusted them once and replaced wheel cylinders because they were weeping a bit - even though I was not losing any brake fluid.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 07/25/18: 229,023 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #6
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Another vote here for "stay with the drums".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Unless you have open wheels and need the performance look of rear disc's, the way GM designed them sucks great horny toads.
Yes they're easier to work on, but you'll be tearing them apart at least every 6 months to re-grease the pins (or at the very least springtime).

Should have been designed more like my Outback's, the caliper is a caliper and has nothing to do with the parking brake. The parking brake is a drum setup using the rotor as the drum. Somehow makes the shoes easier to replace too, not sure why.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:47 PM   #8
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Unless you have open wheels and need the performance look of rear disc's, the way GM designed them sucks great horny toads.
Yes they're easier to work on, but you'll be tearing them apart at least every 6 months to re-grease the pins (or at the very least springtime).

Should have been designed more like my Outback's, the caliper is a caliper and has nothing to do with the parking brake. The parking brake is a drum setup using the rotor as the drum. Somehow makes the shoes easier to replace too, not sure why.
I believe with all the hoodoo involved (new e-brake cables, hub work, etc.) with swapping in the Craptastic GM rear discs, your shorter stopping distance from 100kph/60 mph is something like 5-7 feet. Maybe if you raced it, the brake fade improvements would make you appreciate the rear discs, but not too likely in the real world.

And agree, the discs on my Toyota are a LOT easier to work on! Complete pad change in <35 minutes!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:25 AM   #9
bachands
Advanced Member
bachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to behold

2002 SL2

I just replaced my rear drum brakes last week (including wheel cylinders) due to a moderate brake pedal pulsation. All the parts I purchased are Raybestos Professional Grade from Rock Auto.

The drums, shoes, and wheel cylinders appeared to be very good quality parts. Fitment was perfect for everything. Wheel cylinders are leak free. The shoes had some minor surface imperfections, but I was able to clean them up and smooth them out just fine.

The spring hardware was okay. The only gripe I have is that the paint on the springs was quite lousy (patchy). And the top front spring had less tension than the original one I removed. The adjusters would not unthread until I put one end in a vice and used a pliers on the other.

However, once I got everything together my brake pulsation disappeared. Braking is nice and smooth.

So I will go ahead and recommend Raybestos Professional Grade drums since you state OEM is no longer available. If you're planning on replacing the hardware, I recommend a different brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bachands's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bachands reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bachands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #10
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholbein View Post
I believe with all the hoodoo involved (new e-brake cables, hub work, etc.) with swapping in the Craptastic GM rear discs, your shorter stopping distance from 100kph/60 mph is something like 5-7 feet. Maybe if you raced it, the brake fade improvements would make you appreciate the rear discs, but not too likely in the real world.

And agree, the discs on my Toyota are a LOT easier to work on! Complete pad change in <35 minutes!
i don't believe there's any difference in stopping distance. the sole reasons for changing when in a race environment are 1) more pad compound choices, and 2) ease of maintenance when you do change pad compounds.

drums will last pretty much the life of the car. my son has the original drums on his 99 sl1 with 250k miles and he treats that car like a red-headed step child. my 96 looks 10 years newer...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote