SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
pwrtripls1
pwrtripls1 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
Default Seafoam before and after pics with the valve cover off.

I bought the car with 116,000 miles and it ran good but used oil. So I switched to royal purple and ran some seafoam in the gas and into the intake, along with redoing the crank vent. I pulled the valve cover and it was NASTY. The worst buildup I've ever seen. I cleaned it out with a plastic spoon like thing, and there was so much. Well 20,000 miles later with royal purple 15/40 (I like the gallon jug) I can run a full 6000 miles and only be down about a qt. of oil.

So today I was bored and wanted to see what it looked like after running RP for 20k more miles since I've pulled the valve cover. It looks alot cleaner but still not great. So I took a before pic and I'm running seafoam in the crank case right now. I'll pull the cover again when I'm done running it and take pics again. Hopefully this gets some more gunk out of there.

Pics coming soon......

1999 SL1,5-speed,SOHC,Platinum+4's,Royal Purple fluids,no PCV,crank vent,K&N.142k miles and counting.42mpg@70mph A/C off,38mpg@70mph A/C on. Hot Air Intake, New average 42mpg A/C on!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pwrtripls1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pwrtripls1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pwrtripls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
oak
oak is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Re: Seafoam before and after pics with the valve cover off.

Looking forward to the pics. Hopefully you have pics from the first pull when it was real nasty.

1997 SL2 Automatic, 97,000 miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Especially since you promised them in the title!

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
CND_SC1
Advanced Member
CND_SC1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1

Dom't run it too long, it does dilute the oil. Might be a bit safer since you're using the 15W40 but still, you have to assume if a solvent is good enough to disloge and liquify the sludge & varnish, it must also water down the oil to some degree and weaken your overnight film on the bearings? I really think it'll do it's work within the first 200 miles (preferably long drives) and then it's best to drain it all out before it begins to reincorporate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CND_SC1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CND_SC1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CND_SC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
pwrtripls1

1999 SL1

OK, here are the before seafoam pics....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saturn SL1 003s.JPG (55.6 KB, 596 views)
File Type: jpg Saturn SL1 004s.JPG (59.0 KB, 512 views)
File Type: jpg Saturn SL1 005s.JPG (61.4 KB, 568 views)

1999 SL1,5-speed,SOHC,Platinum+4's,Royal Purple fluids,no PCV,crank vent,K&N.142k miles and counting.42mpg@70mph A/C off,38mpg@70mph A/C on. Hot Air Intake, New average 42mpg A/C on!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pwrtripls1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
pwrtripls1

1999 SL1

Here are the after pics. I dumped in a whole bottle of seafoam and let it idle at 2000rpms for an hour. There is a deffinate visual difference. I may repeat this process the last hundred miles of this oil change and just drive it around. Im sure the difference will be huge then...... So far the idle is slightly smoother but not much difference. I guess mostly its for my piece of mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saturn SL1 007s.JPG (59.5 KB, 538 views)
File Type: jpg Saturn SL1 008s.JPG (52.7 KB, 464 views)
File Type: jpg Saturn SL1 009s.JPG (60.5 KB, 525 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

AWESOME PICS!!

I bet my neglected Satty looks as bad as what you originally found.

Did a few changes of MMO. In goes the Seafoam...!

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #8
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Maybe try a couple treatment cycles with AutoRX. Many folks like it for cleaning sludge from an engine, and it is not a harsh solvent.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:44 PM   #9
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

+1^^^ on the Auto Rx. Those before pictures are pretty nasty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:47 AM   #10
gibvel
gibvel is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Wow, quite the difference in before and after. Did you say that the before pictures were even after you did the first RP change and Seafoam addition. Wonder what it looked like before you did that...

Just curious as to how much of the oil burning could have been due to switching to the 15/40 instead of 5/30. How much oil was it using before you switched?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gibvel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gibvel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gibvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #11
93SC2'in
93SC2'in is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

wow those before pictures look like you where running mud instead of oil..

just be sure to change your oil because now all that crud is suspended in it

93 SC2, 5-speed, <dead and gone>
95 SL2 5-speed, oem header, gsi TB, sprint 2.0, kyb gr2's, wb02, SAFCII, CAI, 17"s
---------------
Speed Kills - save lives, Drive a honda

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 93SC2'in's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 93SC2'in reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
93SC2'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #12
andy_95sl2
Master Member
andy_95sl2 is on a distinguished road

Holy crud! That's probably the dirtiest engine I have ever seen! Here's a pic of the cylinder head in my 2nd saturn. The previous owner never changed the oil in 3 years, and it didn't look that bad!

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon -> daily & toy =)
2009 BMW 128i -> sold
2003 VW GTI 1.8T -> wrecked
1998 Saturn SL2 -> parted out
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andy_95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andy_95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andy_95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #13
Reloader
Reloader is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
2002 SL1

Hope you had a good oil filter on to catch all that crud that was circulating through your lube system

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Reloader's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Reloader reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Reloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:55 PM   #14
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_95sl2 View Post
Holy crud! That's probably the dirtiest engine I have ever seen! Here's a pic of the cylinder head in my 2nd saturn. The previous owner never changed the oil in 3 years, and it didn't look that bad!
Well we can't all have clean engines, can we?

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:46 PM   #15
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

I purchased my Saturn in September, it used about 2 qt per oil change.

I love the rotella t 5w40 synthetic but didn't want the zinc that diesel oils have fouling my cat, so I did some searching and found the Pennzoil's Platinum brand is susposta use the same base stock as the rotella and started using it. It also advertises it ability to remove sludge, bla..bla..bla...

I took care of the valve cover leak in the beginning of the Pennzoil oil, and remember what it looked like under there.

On the second oil change I am now 2000 miles into the oil and haven't needed to add any oil yet....it is only down 1/8 below the full mark. I've been adding oil when it gets halfway to the add mark.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SL11.9L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SL11.9L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SL11.9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:28 PM   #16
pwrtripls1

1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibvel View Post
Wow, quite the difference in before and after. Did you say that the before pictures were even after you did the first RP change and Seafoam addition. Wonder what it looked like before you did that...

Just curious as to how much of the oil burning could have been due to switching to the 15/40 instead of 5/30. How much oil was it using before you switched?
I was using about 1qt of Penzoil 10/40 every 600-800 miles. When I switched to RP and redid the crank vent and ditched the PCV I was using 1qt about every 1500 miles. Then with cleaning the intake and combustion chambers with seafoam I got around 3-4k miles per 1qt lost. After a few oil changes with the RP I was getting the full 6k miles and may loose about 1/2 a qt. Which I put 4qts in (gallon jug) and at 6k miles the oil level is right on the full mark. (3.5qt)

The before seafoam pic is after running RP for 20k+ miles and having dug out as much chunky sludge as I could with a plastic spoon. You would not believe the way it looked the first time I took the cover off!!! Whats amazing is the outside of the motor and trans are the CLEANEST I've ever seen at 137k miles. Not one leak or oil seapage anywhere, it looks nearly new on the outside! LOL

The trans also shifts ALOT smoother with the RP Max ATF in it. (5 speed)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-23-2009, 06:28 PM   #17
Ghettoracer
Ghettoracer is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1

Ewwwww....I'd drain the oil and run some motor flush through that for 5-10 minutes with a little Seafoam in the motor flush and a new filter. Then do your synthetic oil change with a K&N filter. Then check look at everything again. I never seen that much build up even on the rockers and springs like that before.

1996 Saturn SC1 Coupe - 1.9L SOHC, 5 speed MP2
Mods: AEM CAI, Exhaust Muffler, more to come...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ghettoracer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ghettoracer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ghettoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #18
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

For my SOHC motor when I looked under the valve cover I had what looked like cokeing on the valve train in the area from #1 to #2 cylinder and clean metal (no crunchies) for #3 and #4. There was slight light brown staining. (varnish?)

The crunchies wern't bad just there.......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SL11.9L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SL11.9L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SL11.9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:47 PM   #19
pwrtripls1

1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghettoracer View Post
Ewwwww....I'd drain the oil and run some motor flush through that for 5-10 minutes with a little Seafoam in the motor flush and a new filter. Then do your synthetic oil change with a K&N filter. Then check look at everything again. I never seen that much build up even on the rockers and springs like that before.
I only run either Mobil1 filters or Wix. Purolator Pure One is also a great filter but they dont carry them where I usualy shop. (Orielly's) I have several other vehicles, 5 4wheelers, go cart, lawn mower, 20kw backup generator, 5.5hp pressure washer, and a few other toys and I run RP 15/40 and Wix filters on everything. Unless Mobil1 makes a filter for it.

Whats bad is I have a 92' Dodge D250 with 438,000 miles that I have turned into my drag truck and the engine looks perfectly clean and new inside. The cylinders even still have the crosshatch clearly visible!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-23-2009, 11:44 PM   #20
mikeczipri
mikeczipri is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

When you ran the Seafoam into the PCV valve, did you just remove the valve itself and pour the seafoam into the hole where it goes, or into that hose that it connects to?

Sorry if thats a stupid question, I am planning on doing the seafoam thing at my next oil change so I just wanna make sure I do it right. Thanks!

'99 SL2 Dual Cam Autotrans 128K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikeczipri's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikeczipri reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikeczipri is offline   Reply With Quote