SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2018, 09:15 AM   #5521
1996SW2
1996SW2 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
I've been thinking of doing this recently. How well has it been working for you at keeping the car cool? My A/C seems to have a hard time cooling off the car/keeping it cold. It feels cold coming out of the vents and I stuck a thermometer in one of them and it defiantly is working like it should be so I feel like the cold air is just escaping the car too fast for the A/C too keep up with.
I'm doing this myself as well. I put in headliner the other day (will be redoing in a few days, stoey to come later) and did the roof in sun shades I bought a while ago on clearance. On a 108deg day I measured 25deg temp difference with pyrometer prior to installing headliner. Respect the butterflies and Foose flare.

Pulled front door panels last night for cheap new speakers. Did them as well. I plan on doing floor over next couple days and down the road doing inside of exterior door panels too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180729_183640-747x1328.jpg (193.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20180729_190004-1328x747.jpg (170.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20180730_120016-1328x747.jpg (74.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20180801_014631-1328x747.jpg (161.7 KB, 18 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2018, 09:27 AM   #5522
ErikTande
ErikTande will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996SW2 View Post
I'm doing this myself as well. I put in headliner the other day (will be redoing in a few days, stoey to come later) and did the roof in sun shades I bought a while ago on clearance. On a 108deg day I measured 25deg temp difference with pyrometer prior to installing headliner. Respect the butterflies and Foose flare.

Pulled front door panels last night for cheap new speakers. Did them as well. I plan on doing floor over next couple days and down the road doing inside of exterior door panels too.
That looks awesome, nice work! I think I'll do my doors and roof too when I get the chance.

http://www.youtube.com/velocitylabs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ErikTande's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ErikTande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ErikTande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:09 AM   #5523
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Cool stuff! What are you using to hold the panels up in the doors and ceiling?

I have the better part of a roll of Reflectix left over, and after my wife stops scheduling stuff for me on the weekends, might have some time to do things again.

I plan on opening up the door panels to lube the window tracks. I should probably buy speakers and replace those while I'm in there. Plus the insulation.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:19 PM   #5524
1996SW2

Dazed Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Speakers are inside door cards. Think u want to do exterior panels for window track but may be wrong on that one.

I'm using the last of two cans of Gorilla Glue contact spray. Not recommended for headliner material...DOH!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2018, 12:24 PM   #5525
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

After new struts, set the alignment.
Camber
Front (-)0.8 degrees
Rear (-)0.5 degrees
That is with two (2) 44-pound bags of salt in the trunk and 1/2 tank of gasoline...
Toe
Front is approx spec.
Rear will be checked if the car squirms over highway saw-cut grves
Tracking
Pushing the car over a big sheet of paper and marking the paper at the edge of the tires, tracking front/rear is symmetric left/right within 1/8 of an inch. Front track is approx 1/2-inch wider than rear (There are 3/8-inch rear hub spacers installed).
Painted in and around the wheel wells to get ready for winter!

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it)

Last edited by bumpdraft; 08-03-2018 at 12:29 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:35 PM   #5526
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996SW2 View Post

When you put the pieces in the door did you remove the plastic sheet that was already inside or did you just leave it? I'm trying to decide what to do with it.

Feeling 22
1997 SL2, 109K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:44 PM   #5527
1996SW2

I tore mine out. when I do the back doors I'm leaving the inside panels and just doing the outside door skin. much easier. Only reason I did it this way is inside panel was already off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-04-2018, 11:56 PM   #5528
cuetip
cuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nice

1997 SW1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cuetip's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cuetip reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cuetip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 01:28 AM   #5529
jpsuli
jpsuli is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuetip View Post

Not sure if it's just me, but this can't be viewed. If it's from Google Photos, ensure you click the share button.

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 134k

Breakin' stuff as we go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:03 AM   #5530
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I saw them yesterday but I can't today. Looked like a struggle to remove the control arm.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:05 PM   #5531
jpsuli
jpsuli is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Finally fixed that god awful squeaking! I'm so happy, overjoyed as I am writing this. Ever since I've owned this car it has been an issue, turns out the idler pulley that was replaced was really small compared to the Gates one I purchased.

I took a video of it when it started, it did not squeak even with the AC on, I'd put it on here but my reaction was similar to a little child on Christmas day.

IMG_20180805_171722.jpg

IMG_20180805_165539.jpg

I would just like to thank this forum and those who have posted youtube videos, if I can do this simple job anyone can do it with some google.

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 134k

Breakin' stuff as we go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:08 AM   #5532
ErikTande

I already did the upper mount, so I did the rest of mounts this weekend. I'm cheap so I just went with the $11 amazon versions.

Dogbone: https://amzn.to/2KwhlvG
Trans Mount: https://amzn.to/2OhdlS5

The bottom dogbone was COMPLETELY shot, it wasn't doing anything.

The top dogbone was WAY beefier than the bottom. Much heavier, much more solid looking mount. This one was in good shape but the smaller piece of rubber at the top was pretty shot, so I replaced it. I kept it though for possible rebuilding, the design on this top dogbone looks much better.

Last was the trans mount, it was pretty sloppy so I'm glad I replaced it.

The car had a brief shake (mostly noticeable as a quick muffler rattle) on first startup and when starting in first gear, but now that's completely gone. . Car feels great shifting through the gears.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ErikTande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #5533
Goggles Pisano
Goggles Pisano is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Replaced my EGR gasket with one that has a mesh, and also replaced the PCV valve. Also figured out that the last squeak I've been getting from the SL over bumps on the passenger side is most likely from the front sway bar bushing. When the subframe gets replaced, so will the sway bar and the bushings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Goggles Pisano's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Goggles Pisano reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Goggles Pisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:03 PM   #5534
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Finally put the refelctix down today. Took a little longer than I thought it would but that's mainly because of how much of a pain the door card where to put back on. If your going to put refelctix in the doors, I highly recommend putting it behind the outside door panel. I had to make to many cuts in the refelctix for the various tabs, the door handle, and a block of styrofoam that the refelctix was getting in the way of. By the end of it all it felt like what was left wasn't even worth being there. Definitely going to move it at some point (whenever I figure out how to get the outer door panels off).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4415.jpg (172.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4416.jpg (216.7 KB, 18 views)

Feeling 22
1997 SL2, 109K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-13-2018, 09:55 AM   #5535
ErikTande

Quote:
Finally put the refelctix down today. Took a little longer than I thought it would but that's mainly because of how much of a pain the door card where to put back on. If your going to put refelctix in the doors, I highly recommend putting it behind the outside door panel. I had to make to many cuts in the refelctix for the various tabs, the door handle, and a block of styrofoam that the refelctix was getting in the way of. By the end of it all it felt like what was left wasn't even worth being there. Definitely going to move it at some point (whenever I figure out how to get the outer door panels off).

That looks awesome, nice work! I did my outer door skins in peel n seal when I had them off to fix my windows. I'll find some pics later.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2018, 07:37 AM   #5536
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

- Replaced the Catalytic Converter w/New.

- Installed New Denso Downstream O2 Sensor.

'98 SC2 Red Hot SES Light is now Off & engine runs better.

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:49 PM   #5537
87z16
87z16 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1999 SL2

got 2 new General Altimax tires and a new cat back exhaust. had to get inspection done, which i passed.

also found out that the BFG radial t/a was discontinued!!!

99 SL2 maroon/beige
99 SL2 maroon/black
87 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe --- maroon/maroon - completely stock
85 Monte Carlo SS --- silver/maroon - not stock

tom

http://www.motortopia.com/87z16

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 87z16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 87z16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
87z16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #5538
87z16
87z16 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1999 SL2

Quote:
there are torque bolts around the inside of the door. then a pin in the outside door handle. take that pin out and take off the handle. also it is a good idea to unscrew the black trim as well as loosen up the mirror. just do it in a warm temperature.

99 SL2 maroon/beige
99 SL2 maroon/black
87 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe --- maroon/maroon - completely stock
85 Monte Carlo SS --- silver/maroon - not stock

tom

http://www.motortopia.com/87z16

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 87z16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 87z16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
87z16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:14 PM   #5539
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87z16 View Post
there are torque bolts around the inside of the door. then a pin in the outside door handle. take that pin out and take off the handle. also it is a good idea to unscrew the black trim as well as loosen up the mirror. just do it in a warm temperature.
See, I know how to take it off and I've tried to once before to get at the window regulator. The problem is that one of the bolts is rounded and some of the others on both sides just spin due to the tabs they screw into snapping. That's why I'm too sure how to get it off. I was thinking bolt cutters but I have no idea how those work so idk if they'd be right for this situation or not.

Feeling 22
1997 SL2, 109K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #5540
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Cleaned the Throttle Body in the SC2 Red Hot.

No more sticky pedal!

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote